Calories in, Calories out... really the way to go?

Options
13»

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    @innerhottie

CICO/energy balance applies to all types of eating and can't be denied. It is what changes our body weights, even if it's much more complex than simple math and influenced by many things.

Really I think calorie counting can be done with or without apps, logging, scales, or paying attention to macros. It can be as easy as occasionally getting on a (human) scale, or as complex as logging every crumb and movement and tracking it. Gaining or losing weight will happen based on energy balance either way, with or without exercise.

The trick is to find the method that works for you and your goals. Apps like this work great for a lot of people, some find them restrictive. Some people never give it a thought and control their weight. Others have to work hard at it and find various tools that keep them in line. No matter how or what you eat only you can decide what helps you make long term changes, and how easy or hard that is for you.

For me, losing weight wasn't hard at all. I lost at almost the same rate before I used MFP, and the change was probably only really due to setting a specific goal for loss vs just winging it before MFP use. Though the app has helped me find some useful tools as far as what keeps me full longer, making sure I eat the right things for recovery and nutrition, etc... I don't need it to lose weight. I find it useful for tracking certain things, and will continue using it for that reason. But overall, I've have to say using the app was more of a pain in the tail than it was worth it for me, but ONLY as it applies to the weight loss. For the other reasons I use it the app has been very useful.

BUT rather than assume that what works for me will work for you, all I can suggest is to use the app and forums, experiment some, and find what works for you. From being on here I've seen people be successful a hundred different ways, and fail using the same number of ways. I think the driving force is just using the proven and simple science that applies (energy balance/CICO/avoid extremes in diet composition for most) and find your proper fit in the mix of all that. If you get the results you want, only you can decide if the things you used to meet that goal were time well spent, made you more confident, stressed you out, etc. I would probably struggle to go to extremes of limiting any food groups, but for some that helps them. I have never weighed food, but for many that more precise information is very useful and helps them. I love to exercise, but many can control weight without it.

So my best advice, don't make it too hard, use the simple rules that apply, and figure out what the best thing for YOU is. Because all the rest of us can't use our method to help YOU control weight, other than provide it as input for things you could try.

Shesaleo18 wrote: »
    I was genuinely interested what people thought of the article I thought it was quite interesting. And then I got marked as spam...what tha???

I didn't get that either. Some people are quick to report anything for reasons only they know. Must have been someone assuming spam, it happens.
  • Goatsmith
    Goatsmith Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Calories in, Calories out.

I eat all of my normal foods (and even new ones) within my calorie goal. If I exercise I get to eat more of it. As far as macros, I usually just try to hit my protein goal and then the rest usually falls into place.

^^^^^ THIS

With the inverse being true too, if I eat too much (which is easy to do considering the deficit I'm running right now), I work the excess off every night. As far as macros, if I hit any one of them I probably hit all of them pretty well, given my choices of food.