Restaurants

Now that I have been logging every last bite and preparing everything at home for 2 weeks and seeing results, I don't want to screw up. My husband made a comment about me "not enjoying anything" the other day and I emphasized that I am actually enjoying life so much more now and eating cake and ice cream does not equal enjoyment for everyone. So...he made reservations for us to go to a comedy club on Saturday and we are going to dinner first. I know the obvious thinks, if I get salad, only have vinegar on it, or get steamed fish etc, but how do I record things like that. If I have chicken on my salad, I'll have no clue of weight. And yes, I want to be as accurate as possible, because I just don't want to take any steps back. Thanks.

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    You could always save up your calories for the day or the week for something like this on a special occasion. Be really good and under your calorie goal each day of the week and "save" the calories for the night out. You can even be under for the week if you did that and still controlled what you ate on the night of the date.

Besides, it is only one night and if you don't go at a deficit, you might hit maintenance. That isn't going backwards by any stretch of the imagination. Have fun. It is only one night. :smiley: Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Many of us use our best guesses when eating out and then log that.

One meal isn't going to significantly set you back.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Google "serving size chart" and look at the images results. You'll get a ton of charts/pictures/graphics showing you how to estimate sizes and portions.
  • ck763074
    ck763074 Posts: 12 Member
    Some resturaunts have their nutrition facts online. You can look beforehand and try to get a few ideas of healthy options. Also, sometimes people may already have some options logged in MFP that you can look up. Besides that you can just use your best judgement. Being off by 100-200 calories won't have a huge effect on your goals for one day. If nothing else, overestimate a little.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Just log to the best of your ability and enjoy your going out event.
    If you know the restaurant name, check the menu online and choose the entree that accomodates your objectives better. If not, read the menu carefully and make a choice.
    I eat all my favorite food, in moderation. If I go to a steak house, I ask for the smallest cut ( 8oz) and I ask the waiter for a container to take home. I only eat half (4z) that is more like my meat portions with MFP.
    If I do not like the menu, I ask for substitutions (i.e. if there is only meat plus french fries, I request to replace french fries with steamed/grilled/raw vegetable)
    I share my dessert with whoever is willing to share at my table. If not feasible, I eat a very small portion and left it at the table.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Many of the MFP entries include calorie counts for volume as well as for weight. When at a restaurant, try to estimate the volume of the food and use that instead. Most people (myself included) are terrible at estimating weight. You can't realistically do it at a restaurant anyway but even if you could try, you can easily be off by 200% - 300% or more. Estimating volume is easier. I can usually get it right within 30% - 40%. Given the option, it's always better use a scale and weigh your food but a volume estimate is better than nothing.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Sorry, but: a salad with only vinegar on it? Do people really eat salads that way? :o
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Google "serving size chart" and look at the images results. You'll get a ton of charts/pictures/graphics showing you how to estimate sizes and portions.

THIS
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Sorry, but: a salad with only vinegar on it? Do people really eat salads that way? :o

I do it, but it's because I like it. Apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar with a little crushed red pepper . . . mmm.
  • kmg3614
    kmg3614 Posts: 83 Member
    Also,, Get a great workout in Saturday morning! That will help if you are off a little.
  • mtedwards64
    mtedwards64 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm going on day 6, have lost 9.8 lbs so far and am really enjoying this challenge I have set for myself. I've got a long way to go so I don't want to deprive myself of the foods I truly enjoy. So, with that being said, I love Chinese food and want to get any suggestions for what is the healthiest to choose for lunch. Please keep in mind that I loath BROCCOLI so anything else I'm game for. Thoughts?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    ....I emphasized that I am actually enjoying life so much more now and eating cake and ice cream does not equal enjoyment for everyone.

I think he is calling your bluff. You say you are enjoying this new fitness enterprise? So let's see how you handle a monkey wrench. There's a trap that dieters can get caught in, a sort of cognitive distortion, called "all or nothing thinking". That is, "I must eat like this like this all the time or else I will fail.". In reality, we can allow quite a bit of leeway and still lose weight (albeit a little more slowly).

I suggest you take a look a the menu ahead of time, pick something that fits in your calorie goals (and NOT the lowest-calorie item on the menu!), pre-log it, and don't stress it. Prove to him that you are enjoying this! I will often eat half and doggy bag the rest. Most restaurant meals are about twice the calories we really need anyways.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    I usually check the menu ahead of time when I go out and try to pick something that looks really yummy and will fit into my calorie targets. A lot of restaurants have nutrition information online, so you may even be able to find that. If you can't, though, just do the best you can to log it. It's only one meal, and you aren't going to overeat by enough to significantly impact your progress. You might retain a little extra water for a day or two, but that's no big deal. Remember, you have to eat 3,500 calories above maintenance to gain one pound!! Have fun and enjoy your night out. :)
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member

I don't see how that is shocking.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    You got a lot of great suggestions, just try and remember it is only ONE meal. Last year when I first started this weightloss journey my family and I went on vacation, I had been actively weighing and counting calories for about 6 months. On our way home the kids were cranky and hungry so we stopped at a random restaurant to eat lunch and let the kids stretch and play. We got inside and looked at the menu and every single item seemed to be deep friend or grilled in a lot of oil. I literally got pale and upset while trying to figure out what to do. My wife recognized this took me by the hand and said "Babe, it is just one meal. Get something tasty, you can walk or do whatever you need to do tonight, but don't stress on our last day of vacation."

So I ordered a basket of chicken strips and some fries. I ate the chicken strips and about half the fries, found a generic entry for both, logged it and moved on. Vacation was a full week and I still managed to loose 1lb that week. I guess the morale of the story is be mindful, not obsessive...It is a fine line...
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I save calories during the week so I can go out once on the weekend and eat burgers, fries, etc. It makes no sense to me to not live once in a while.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    once you weigh your own food for awhile, you get pretty good at eyeballing ;)

is it exact, no, but close enough works for me
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Depends... how closely does your husband pay attention to what you're doing?

(disclaimer: some people are going to throw rotten tomatoes at this, but if you need counter tactics against someone trying to "prove you wrong," this WORKS.)

First off, while husband is watching TV, in the shower, or otherwise distracted, you could eat a big pile of low cal vegetables like green beans, and a boiled egg for protein, before going out so your stomach isn't growling and driving you mad. Then, ok, yr already mostly full. So then act normal or whatever he thinks is normal, casually order some random thing... not like the worst ever (alfredo etc) but just some average thing, and since yr gonna be mostly full already, do lots of talking but just pick at the whatever, eat some tiny bites and mash it around on your plate a lot and he won't know the difference. If he remarks how much is left on your plate just say "oh I'm stuffed; I'll get a take home box" and box it up. Then of course you leave that fattening box in the fridge a day or two then throw it out. He'll think you ate it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    angellll12 wrote: »

I don't see how that is shocking.

I'm just surprised at how tart it would be. Hey, different strokes.

• Many of us use our best guesses when eating out and then log that.

One meal isn't going to significantly set you back.

Depends how often that one meal comes up. I can maybe slip in once a week total until I start to rapidly gain and that's eating the most boring food on the menu. Go out of town for a weekend and have a beer? Forget about it! Progress is torpedoed!