Mini pill and water retention (one for the girls)

Options
drspoon2013
drspoon2013 Posts: 27 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all. I went onto Noriday a month ago and overnight my weight jumped by 1kg and has refused to change since. I am assuming it's water retention although my doc laughed and suggested I was just eating more (pretty sure it's impossible to gain that overnight), and I have a very fixed diet. Since I have been cutting back loads but the scales reading won't budge. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Noriday? I feel like a huge balloon all of the time, and I am hoping it will settle?!

Replies

• tasaiar1
    tasaiar1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have with the nexplanon implant. My weight wouldn't budge no matter how little I ate. After reading reviews online, I realised it's the hormones to blame. The hormones trick your body into thinking your pregnant so your body thinks it's expecting.
    So many women end up putting on weight when on contraception. For me my weight didn't shift despite being on MFP.

I'm now on the non hormonal coil. And last 9kg on it so far :)
    Just need to trail and error to see what world's with your body.

But yes i believe your water retention theory
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've just come off the pill and I've lost about a pound in a week, im supposed to be maintaining! My appetite has decreased and my want to eat when full has gone. I always swore going on the pill made me fat (it contributed at least) and now I am sure! Don't get me wrong I lost 30ish lbs on the pill but I'm still convinced there is a strong relationship between your hormones and loss/gain.
  • LStanfield3614
    LStanfield3614 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was on the mini pill while I was breastfeeding and I'm convinced it made me gain weight. This was over a year ago so I don't remember exactly how much I gained but I stopped taking it because I decided I would rather be pregnant again than just fat haha! It took a few weeks for the weight to come off but it did eventually. My older sister also gained weight while taking the mini pill so it might be a common side effect.
  • rossalexandraxcd
    rossalexandraxcd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My doctor also suggested putting me on Noriday, but I had a lot of nasty side effects. After searching it on this website - https://druggenius.com/pill-identifier/, I noticed that side effects like changes in appetite, reduced sex drive, abdominal pain, cramps, and even vomiting were all happening to me. That's when I realized it wasn't the right choice for my body. I got started on another pill, and everything was fine after that. I think you should try that as well, mainly if you have any other side effects along with your weight gain. I hope everything will turn out fine for you!