Dry January .

Options
Hi anyone else do dry January how did you do? I did it more to kick start the diet this year but seems like it hasn't made much difference, anyone else noticed this if they have done it? ( I didn't replace it with fizzy drinks )

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I started January 4 and haven't had a drink since. I did combine it with consuming fewer calories too, so I'm certain that contributed to my success. With that being said, I was a pretty serious drinker (bordering on it being an issue) so it's been huge for me. I probably consumed at least 300-500 calories a day from wine or vodka. So...if I hadn't cut out the booze, I would've never been able to stick to consuming fewer calories each day. I'm down about 10 pounds and plan to not drink (or drink very little) in February too. Just my experience, everybody's different.
  • kz_dc
    kz_dc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is my first dry January and it is going very well--no slips! I've enjoyed seeing my calories left after dinner and realizing that without the vodka soda or red wine, I've still got room for some nuts or cheese in there. Haven't seen a rapid weight loss, but didn't expect to as I'm in that tough "last ten pounds" phase. So it is slow going, but those pounds are slowly melting off. I think the lasting impact on me will be that I will try not to re-introduce mid-week drinks. I used to have a couple of drinks with dinner and when poking around the house after. Going forward, I plan to stick with club soda or caffeine free Diet Coke with dinner and save the wine for weekend dinners out. I had read that your skin clears up within a couple of weeks, but I haven't seen this. I don't get many pimples, but my cheeks are always a little reddish, and slightly blotchy. That hasn't changed. Oh well-- I've got a very fair Irish complexion and it may always be that way. A little foundation works fine to even it out.
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I went dry 34 days ago... I thought why wait till New Years? Been trying to kick it for 4 years now. I went through 9 days of non-stop headaches, and did not sleep much during that time. I also had strong feelings of sadness during the first week. Oh and sugar cravings went through the roof! The good? I couldn't help but notice how much my under eye puffiness was diminishing. From then till now night and day difference. Also, my quality of sleep has drastically improved -no more waking up 10 times a night or tossing for 4 hours straight while staring at the ceiling. I wake up only once now then fall right back to sleep. Though my goal to quit stemmed from something much deeper than weight loss, I have dropped 5 lbs.
  • Teamdhb120
    Teamdhb120 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a dry February. This is day one. I'm familiar with the feelings of sadness. Not looking forward to that but it will pass.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Teamdhb120 wrote: »
    I'm doing a dry February. This is day one. I'm familiar with the feelings of sadness. Not looking forward to that but it will pass.
    You can do it, I did, and trust me, that's saying something. Add me if you need support.

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No can do. Life is too short to go dry.