Average run times?

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    acarmon55 wrote: »
    Thanks that helps. Just wondering if I am on track or should push to a faster time or keep time and go for longer distances

How long have you been running? What are your fitness goals?

If you're relatively new to running then the focus should be on building your aerobic base. As far as speed goes are you planning on racing competitively or (as many of us do) racing against yourself?
  • rlovell456
    rlovell456 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're right in line with the average recreational runner (like me). Here's a link you can use to compare your times.

http://www.pace-calculator.com/10k-pace-comparison.php
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks that helps. Just wondering if I am on track or should push to a faster time or keep time and go for longer distances

How long have you been running? What are your fitness goals?

If you're relatively new to running then the focus should be on building your aerobic base. As far as speed goes are you planning on racing competitively or (as many of us do) racing against yourself?

Definitely against myself. I tried running last year and got to 6 miles then stopped for a million of no good reasons then picked it back up again on the treadmill a few months ago. I love to run outside, but can't run in the dark where I live, so it is the treadmill til the days get longer. So I guess that would still make me a newbie runner.
  • acarmon55
    Options
    rlovell456 wrote: »
    Looks like you're right in line with the average recreational runner (like me). Here's a link you can use to compare your times.

http://www.pace-calculator.com/10k-pace-comparison.php

Thanks that helps and I am definitely just a recreational runner...I love how it makes me feel.
  • acarmon55
    Options
    A 10 minute mile is a great time for your first outdoor run, treadmill and outdoor running aren't the same as anyone who does both can tell you. Just pick a goal and work towards it and find a pace you are happy with and enjoy the runs!

It is a big difference but I really love them both. I always enjoy the run even if it isn't as good as I would hope!
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I never have ran a race and I don't think I have a desire to run in a race. I just like to run and push myself to new personal goals but didn't know how to compare my results with others...am I doing good to add more miles and/or speed? I felt good after today's run. I do use S Health on my phone for running that tracks milage, pace and everything, but forgot to stop it after my run and it ran while I was stretching and cooling down so the numbers are skewed for today's run.

this is an excellent reason to actually run a race. I would consider finding a 10k training program for active runners and complete it even if you don't intend to run a race at the end of it. Most include different types of training runs, which brings me to my next point. My 10 k race pace is about 8 minutes per mile but my pace during long runs or a recover run ( 5 miles) is closer to 9:15 per mile. My pace can vary significantly depending on my purpose.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I'm just a bit older than you and about 10lbs heavier. I run about the same pace. I usually finish races mid pack.