Flourless Peanut Butter Mug Cake

Options
guinevere96
guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
edited February 2016 in Recipes
This is probably super obvious to some people but I personally had never made a mug cake and it was so GOOD. I ate some banana with mine. Its not something I could fit into my calorie budget often, but I was a bit more active than usual today and ate this post-workout.

3 tbps creamy peanut butter
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 egg

Grease a large microwave safe mug and whisk your ingredients together until egg is fully whisked. Cook in microwave for 1-2 minutes. Ta-da, magical mug cake that you can customize in a million different ways. I might use chunky peanut butter next time, or throw some chopped banana in, use some nutmeg, idk. but its super fluffy and really good.

**Edit**
This came from a pinterest recipe I found that I will definitely credit once I can actually find the source lol.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think I'd rather just have 3 spoonfuls of peanut butter!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I do a peanut butter fluff...also delicious with a banana.

microwave 1-2 TBL crunchy peanut butter for 30 seconds
    Fold in 3 TBL of Cool whip light
    Add 1/2 sliced banana

delicious dessert! When you can afford the calories!
  • eeyore004
    eeyore004 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's more or less the recipe my MIL uses for peanut butter cookies (she has Celiac disease so couldn't do flour anyway).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That sounds good. I would probably try it adding a bit of protein powder in place of the sugar. Do you think that would work? This may be my breakfast tomorrow ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That sounds fabulous!
  • guinevere96
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    That sounds good. I would probably try it adding a bit of protein powder in place of the sugar. Do you think that would work? This may be my breakfast tomorrow ;)

That might work! I dont have a lot of experience with protein powder but I dont think it absolutely needed the sugar anyways. Made it a little sweet but I think it mightve even been fine without. Personal preference really :)
  • guinevere96
    Options
    eeyore004 wrote: »
    That's more or less the recipe my MIL uses for peanut butter cookies (she has Celiac disease so couldn't do flour anyway).

My mom also has celiac so we've been experimenting with gluten free things that the whole family likes, my dad is kinda picky but will eat anything that has peanut butter in it lol.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    eeyore004 wrote: »

I've made pb cookies all my life with these 3 ingredients. I'm always surprised anyone puts flour or anything else in a pb cookie lol. No one we knew had celiac it was just the recipe to use. 1 cup pb. 1 cup sugar. 1 egg. Amazing cookies.

I'm sure this mug cake is good and a little different texture because of the egg to other ingredients ratio. I'll have to try it.
  • Akronite2025
    Akronite2025 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    can crunchy peanut butter be used instead if you don't perfer creamy?
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    just tried with a scoop of protein powder (Quest chocolate) and 1 egg. Came out rubbery. I've made it before with egg whites only, and it was also very rubbery. Any suggestions to make it less rubbery? Is it the sugar that makes it moist?
  • nicholsc1008
    nicholsc1008 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @ jacklifts
    Im new to protein powders- so I don't know what quest chocolate is, however, the rubbery/gummy texture could be from the type of protein powder used- i.e. Whey powder - it has that tendency! Try using a casein powder.
  • nicholsc1008
    nicholsc1008 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've made this treat plenty of times, also from a Pinterest recipe, but I add a dash of salt & vanilla extract.. When I'm really bad I put ice cream on top & let it melt a bit- AHMAZZZING!!!
  • PaulaAlter1
    PaulaAlter1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love Jif Peanut Powder, Regular and Chocolate, and will make it into peanut butter to sub that for regular peanut butter (2 gm of fat and low, low carbs) and will sub Swerve for sugar. This looks amazing!