Need some help with protein

Alright guys, I'm abit confused with protein I'm weight 140 pounds so I would need at least 140g of protein I guess but if I'm say eating 4000k surely I wouldn't need to need 30% protein that puts it's In high 200s grams of protein..
It's a waste ain't it as I just *kitten* it out cos I won't be using that

Replies

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    The others can correct me if I am wrong but you don't need that amount of Protein. I assume you are bulking/looking to gain weight. Reduce the % for protein from 30 to 20% and you will be fine. If you bulking, hitting your calorie amount is more important than being bang on with your macros.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    So should that 10% split between carbs and fat or just carbs
  • jdscrubs32
    Not 100% sure but I guess a split. When I was bulking I went with 50% carbs, 30% fat & 20% protein. Carbs are more important in a bulk anyway.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Using % is old, here is a better way to do it...

Eat a 0.8g - 1g of protein per 1lb bodyweight
    Eat 0.4g of fat per 1lb of bodyweight

The rest of your calories are made up using carbs.
  • pbryd
    EG

140g protein = 560 calories
    56g fat = 504 calories

So 4000-560-504= 2936 calories from carbs, which is 734g of carbs

That's far too many carbs.

If you really need to have 4000 calories, you'll have to up your fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    pbryd wrote: »
    EG

56g fat = 504 calories

All of this..

And no, you wouldn't need 200g of protein.. aim to get 140g at least.
  • Movemoreguy22
    PUCKA cheers guys that was just an example for 4000 just so I can understand it abit more... mfp says I need to eat 2936 I think it said but I'm sure I lost weight on that so just trying to get a feel with it again and start taking this serious
  • Movemoreguy22
    But I don't no how u guys keep your fat so low, I love red meat eggs and milk and it's well past say 56grams
  • pbryd
    I wouldn't worry too much about going over your fat if it's from eggs, milk and lean red meats. Just don't let it be an excuse to add pizzas and curries.

The nutritional benefits from eggs, milk and red meat make up for their higher fat content.

That said, it's carbs that provide your body with the energy to workout and recover from the gym, so focusing on higher carbs is generally recommended.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    EG

56g fat = 504 calories

Why? When I was eating over 4000 a day I was eating around 600 a day and never had an issue.
  • pbryd

Why? When I was eating over 4000 a day I was eating around 600 a day and never had an issue.

Just seems like a hell of a lot of food.
  • jdscrubs32
    I wouldn't worry too much about going over your fat if it's from eggs, milk and lean red meats. Just don't let it be an excuse to add pizzas and curries.

The nutritional benefits from eggs, milk and red meat make up for their higher fat content.

That said, it's carbs that provide your body with the energy to workout and recover from the gym, so focusing on higher carbs is generally recommended.

Are you saying you cannot have pizzas and curries at all while bulking? While I wouldn't suggest having them every day, no harm in having them every now & again while bulking.
  • Wheelhouse15

Well 4000 certainly is but it's easy to get very carb dense foods.;
    :)
  • jdscrubs32
    EG

56g fat = 504 calories

I was similar to you @Wheelhouse15 in the amount of carbs I was having while on 4,000 a day and didn't have an issue.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited February 2016

Yup.....it is. Some people require more calories than others......................

Anyone who is "bulking" shouldn't be concerned with macro splits....get adequate protein through nutritionally dense foods and fill in the rest with whatever gets you to your calorie goal.

Keep your caloric surplus between 250-350 calories over your TDEE daily to minimize fat gains.

1g / 1lb of total body weight is MORE than enough protein during a bulk to add muscle mass. For the average Joe, (1.2g - 1.6g/ kg of body weight is sufficient)

@garyggriffin - 1.6g/kg puts you at 100g/day.

I'm 172lbs / 78kg and aim for 120g /day and my LBM (lean body mass) has been slowly increasing.

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2016
    But I don't no how u guys keep your fat so low, I love red meat eggs and milk and it's well past say 56grams

No need to ever say "keep (specific macro) low" on a bulk.

Hit your minimums on protein (.7g-1g/lb of BW -OR- 1-1.5g/lb of LBM) and fats (25-30% of calories). Fill the rest in with whatever macronutrients you want, so long as you're eating enough carbs. Applying the previous sentence to your diet means, your fats need to be equal to or greater than 25-30% of your diet not "limited to", and eat carbs.

Typically, for mass building, I would suggest you consume a minimum of 2g of carbs/lb of LBM. That falls within the range of what Lyle McDonald wrote about, here's the summary and chart:

5j176aty4bdh.png

Link to article: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    protein should be about .65 to .85 grams per pound of body weight; fats are .45 grams, and fill in rest with carbs...
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2016
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    protein should be about .65 to .85 grams per pound of body weight; fats are .45 grams, and fill in rest with carbs...
    *whatever you want. Carbs can be up to that amount.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    PUCKA cheers guys that was just an example for 4000 just so I can understand it abit more... mfp says I need to eat 2936 I think it said but I'm sure I lost weight on that so just trying to get a feel with it again and start taking this serious

Glad to hear it was just an example. I'd say that's a little too high of an intake if you're weighing 140 lbs. Even if you're "extra active", you should only be maxing 3,500-3,600 tops while in a bulk to minimize fat gain. Because I would've definitely recommended that you aim to stick more to the side of “clean bulking” and focus on increasing your overall body weight at a slower, more gradual pace.

Remember, your body can only build a limited amount of lean muscle tissue in any given day no matter what you do.

The primary mistake that most people who follow a full blown “dirty bulking” approach make is the idea that if a smaller calorie surplus builds a certain amount of muscle, then a larger calorie surplus will automatically build more. Well, It just doesn’t work that way.
  • Wheelhouse15

No need to ever say "keep (specific macro) low" on a bulk.

Hit your minimums on protein (.7g-1g/lb of BW -OR- 1-1.5g/lb of LBM) and fats (25-30% of calories). Fill the rest in with whatever macronutrients you want, so long as you're eating enough carbs. Applying the previous sentence to your diet means, your fats need to be equal to or greater than 25-30% of your diet not "limited to", and eat carbs.

Typically, for mass building, I would suggest you consume a minimum of 2g of carbs/lb of LBM. That falls within the range of what Lyle McDonald wrote about, here's the summary and chart:

5j176aty4bdh.png

Link to article: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html/

An endurance athlete with 160lbs of LBM is a big endurance athlete.