Bad Knees

Options
In 2008 I ran 7 miles a day and loved it, maintained my weight started power lifting at 54 I set 3 State records which I still hold, Then surgery on both knees bone on bone, no more running gained weight to my highest weight of 252.5 now 242 and trying to lose, using the rowing machine which I hate for some reason, I think back to the weight room for now and forget the cardio, lets see how that works out, I will keep you posted. Just 1 more thing in 2008 after just 3 months of running I ran a marathon didn't stop once, guess the will power was there just need to fund it again.

Replies

• Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I loved running, it was the one exercise I absolutely loved. Then my knee started giving me fits. Each doctor said "lose weight", and never took me seriously. Then after about 5 doctors, one finally ordered an MRI. I had bone on bone in the weight bearing joint and thinning cartilage in other areas. There is a new surgery that doctors are trying, that helps the cartilage regenerate. I was a good candidate for the surgery so we went for it. When I woke up I got the bad news...I was bone on bone in 3 areas and had a town miniscus. The damage was too far gone to be a candidate for the surgery. Now, at 35, I'm already approved for a knee replacement. Worst of all, I can't run anymore...and that is so depressing. I've tried so many other exercises, but it's not the same. I still work out, but because I have to, not because I enjoy it.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    Oh...and when I started running, I lost 80 pounds. I kept it off for the six years that I kept running. I still haven't gained it back, but it's not as easy anymore.
  • mckinnis27
    mckinnis27 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think the reason I lost so much weight when I regular was I just loved to run,especially out side, I haven't yet found a cardio machine I enjoy. I am hoping when I lose enough weight that I might be able to run a bit. That being said the scales was down another 2lbs today. For you to lose 80lbs and keep it off tha'ts a huge achievement. What did you replace running with?
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are both going thru. I used to run and do a lot of different exercises than I can do now. When I was 17 I tore my acl and had surgery after months of rehab I was able to go back to running and sports. But years later at 40 the arthritis from that is getting so bad I am bone on bone and have bone spurs. Just had torn meniscus repaired and scar tissue cleaned up from previous surgery which helped a little. But will need knee replacement at some point. Getting injections every 6-9 months for arthritis for now to see how long that helps.
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Rowing is awesome ... if it's done properly.
    Everyone at my gym doesn't row properly... and they hate it. (Well, of course you hate it... if you were on water, you'd sink).
    When done properly - there is this almost meditative effect.
    Push with the legs, then use your hips, then use your arms - release arms, release hips, release legs.
    Try it with a low damper setting - the higher the setting, the more like it's rowing in a great ships galley.
    Get into a rhythm.
    An hour will fly by.

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/rowing-machine-mistakes/
  • rlovell456
    rlovell456 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just based on personal experience I'd say don't forego the cardio. I'm 60 and have been a fairly active cyclist for a long time. Had chest pains while on the bike last spring and found I needed a coronary artery bypass. Heredity trumps fitness I guess. Even though most of my arteries were blocked, I did not have a heart attack and my heart remains strong. I was able to start running 5 weeks after the bypass operation (I couldn't ride my bike until the chest bones healed). Cardiologist said without the history of regular cardio exercise the outcome would have probably been a massive heart attack.
    Also, you might consider cycling. It's pretty easy on the knees and you get to wear tights.
  • mckinnis27
    Options
    I have thought about the bike and will probably start once the Maine winter is over, I will keep with the rowing machine hoping eventually I will get to enjoy it I find that my hip flexor's get very sore doing this so will build up to it, Now the good 239.5lbs long time since my weight was in the 230's only just but I will take it. Dead lifted 405 lbs last night so strength coming back.
  • mckinnis27
    Options
    I have a question for Vetticus_3 I have a similar issue with my knee's bone on bone do you feel the benefit of the injections is worth it? I had the injection once and seem to make any difference.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @mckinnis27 I take it is the concept II you are using.
    Check out their website it has great videos for form, and you can compete with other rowers.
    It might just make rowing more interesting if you get involved on the site.

Cheers, h.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    I had another round of knee injections a week ago, and they used to work wonders, but now, not so much. I am in pain literally every day. At 35, this is so depressing. I know I'm approved for the knee replacement and I wanted to wait, but I don't know how long I can afford to.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of ex-runners with bad knees who are now happy cyclists. Start riding a stationary bike at the gym, so when the weather gets better you'll be ready to bike outside.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Vetticus_3 wrote: »
    Rowing is awesome ... if it's done properly.
    Everyone at my gym doesn't row properly... and they hate it. (Well, of course you hate it... if you were on water, you'd sink).
    When done properly - there is this almost meditative effect.
    Push with the legs, then use your hips, then use your arms - release arms, release hips, release legs.
    Try it with a low damper setting - the higher the setting, the more like it's rowing in a great ships galley.
    Get into a rhythm.
    An hour will fly by.

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/rowing-machine-mistakes/

Thanks so much for the tips and link! @Vetticus