FODMAP and primal

Options
Hi! Has anyone combined a FODMAP diet with primal and had success and not boredom... FODMAP seems to include a lot of gluten free 'beige'... And I wouldn't mind some tasty recipes that aren't just chicken breast with carrots and courgettes!! New to FODMAP after years of intolerances and doing nothing about it!

Replies

• WeaverMission
    WeaverMission Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ive been following fodmap for a year, its hard not to turn to carbs all the time but the best way to do it is prep all your own food- get creative with spices as onion and garlic are off the menu.
    This weekend I made peanut butter & chocolate slices (GF), I had terayaki prawns on courgette noodles for tea, homemade tom soup for lunch, chicken aloo sagg prepped for tea tonight...its doesnt have to be beige!

Invest in GF (full of wheat normally)soy sauce, some GF stock cubes and most importantly meal plan

Avoid GF prepared meals as they have all the FODMAPS you need to avoid. Dont get sucked in by the whole GF thing - you can eat alot of food that coeliacs have to avoid such as balsamic vinegar etc.
    Dont cut foods you dont have too, FODMAP is difficult enough as it is...
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I'm not on FODMAP, but on a very limited diet for other medical reasons, and one thing that helped me SO much to avoid boredom was to grow an herb garden.

Buying fresh herbs is SO expensive but keeping a little herb garden is anything but, even if you just get some super cheap pots and keep them inside. Herbs are cheap to buy seeds for, cheap to grow, but just get a few and you can really add variety and flavor to foods, even if you are stuck eating a lot of the same ones.

As an example, while pesto sauce involves basil, making a pesto out of any herb is entirely possible, and makes for lots of different flavors, you know?

Some herbs I ended up using: marjoram, basil, thyme, parsley, cilantro, rosemary, burnet, tai basil, red thai roselle, savory, lemon grass, sage, epazote, mint, fennel, dill, fenugreek, cumin, anise, oregano, mexican oregano, mexican tarragon, tarragon, chives, bay laurel, borage, caraway, chervil, lavender, lemon balm, lemon verbena, nasturium - seriously, the list is nearly endless. You can focus on european herbs, Asian ones, just...it is a great way to add a lot of variety to all the foods, even when the main ingredients can't vary that much.