Should I loose more weight? Need opinions.

Options
I know it is dangerous to ask for opinions on the internet, but I don't always trust my loved ones to tell me the truth, after all they love me fit or thin sick or healthy. So here are my stats, I'm 5'9" 171lbs 39yo male. I lost 110lbs in the last year, I do have some loose skin, particularly around my pecs and loose stuff that flops over my waist band if I dont tuck it in. The loose skin is making it hard for me to tell if I have more weight to loose or not. I have been working out pretty hard at home doing tabata and body weight training on daily burns program, and the last 2 weeks I have started training to run a half marathon. I entered into maintenance mode at 175lbs back in october I think, and since then I have lost another 4lbs. I still log food and weight everyday, weight is using the libra app... Here is my most current picture, if I really need to I can post a pic with my shirt off, but idk where I could host it anonymously lol
12642631_10207311728385630_5141767377027925992_n.jpg?oh=aa8b19a838936cdc78eb9633fc8422fd&oe=57447493

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss.

As for when to maintain, that depends on if you have hit your physique goals yet, if you had any. Do you want to be more muscular looking? or are you content with the way you are? You look to be at a healthy weight, so if your goal was for purely health reasons, then you could probably maintain. If you want to be more muscular, then I would recommend going into a bulk, you are definitely lean enough to start a clean bulk. Nice work.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You're in a healthy weight range...How do you FEEL?
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Over all my goals have been on a slow recomp. I want to become generally more athletic, run longer and be stronger?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Over all my goals have been on a slow recomp. I want to become generally more athletic, run longer and be stronger?

if that's you're goal, then why are you asking if you need to lose more weight? A recomp generally means eating at maintenance. if you want to hit your physique goals faster, I would definitely start a slow bulk, no more than a 10% surplus to gain ~0.5lbs per week and see how that goes. you'll be surprised at how much more muscle you will gain doing this than on a recomp, especially given how long you've been on your program.
  • arditarose
    Options

That's a good idea. Appears you are still losing on your calorie goal though?
  • jeepinshawn
    Options

if that's you're goal, then why are you asking if you need to lose more weight? A recomp generally means eating at maintenance. if you want to hit your physique goals faster, I would definitely start a slow bulk, no more than a 10% surplus to gain ~0.5lbs per week and see how that goes. you'll be surprised at how much more muscle you will gain doing this than on a recomp, especially given how long you've been on your program.

Since I have been loosing weight, without really trying to, I guess I worry that I'm still too fat? I read posts in here about guys that are my height, but are 15+lbs lighter then me.
  • arditarose
    Options

Since I have been loosing weight, without really trying to, I guess I worry that I'm still too fat? I read posts in here about guys that are my height, but are 15+lbs lighter then me.

If you're losing weight without trying it just means you're still in a deficit, though perhaps a small one. Add 100 daily calories per week until you stabilize your weight.
  • jeepinshawn
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You're in a healthy weight range...How do you FEEL?

I feel better than I have felt in a very long time. Like I said above, I see guys posting that are 15lbs lighter then me, and my BMI says Im still "over weight" so I worry that I went into maintenance to soon now and should have kept trying to loose more.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    do you know your approx. body fat percentage? it's hard to tell with your shirt on and without a side view. BMI is pretty meaningless if you are not an average person that doesn't exercise.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    You're right though. I'm 6'0" and 167lbs and approx 14% BF. I'm currently cutting down to 160lbs before I start bulking again. Strange that you look pretty lean in that picture, but maybe it's the lighting and black shirt.
  • jeepinshawn
    Options
    You're right though. I'm 6'0" and 167lbs and approx 14% BF. I'm currently cutting down to 160lbs before I start bulking again. Strange that you look pretty lean in that picture, but maybe it's the lighting and black shirt.

I will see what I can do about some different photos. I have built some pretty strong legs, my quad muscles are all individually visible, and I do have pecs, just with saggy skin my nipples hang out of place below them..yuck lol.
  • galgenstrick
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If it's all skin, then you should be able to see your abs and serratus.

You can kind of guesstimate your BF% using these photos, keeping in mind that the guys 15% and under have a pretty good amount of muscle. compare your serratus area with these photos, it will be the most reliable.

http://www.rapidweightlossresults.com/2014/03/20/what-should-my-body-fat-percentage-be/
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you would be better served right now to maintain and lift weights.......progressively, then re-evaluate in 6 months to a year. It seems like you're at a healthy weight, and I think if you want to cut/bulk next year you could do that, but first I think you need to let yourself have a little time to catch up with the weight loss and see what your body does with it.

You're young still and your body will absorb the losses if you give it some time...........trust me, even at 65 my body has caught up.............patience!!!!
  • jeepinshawn
    Options
    12592668_10207327878029361_6331697612140130423_n.jpg?oh=14a5273eb2762b9132fa643b5659a899&oe=576E32EE
    12687800_10207327877589350_7342831102327464865_n.jpg?oh=86bbdc465751120bc9d23b5bfdfa2e4b&oe=5739972F
    12592663_10207327877789355_3279559227573728906_n.jpg?oh=37f3784c67f178f8e680c5bb3330a7c3&oe=57437265

Hope this helps...
  • jeepinshawn
    Options
    Bump for the morning crowd
  • amsmithatc33
    amsmithatc33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Congrats on your weight loss! As far as losing any more, especially based on BMI, I'd say no. You are at a very healthy weight for your height. I find BMI to be a flawed measure. It does not account for muscle, which takes up 1/3 the space as the equivalent amount of fat. I would focus on toning and building rather than loss.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Just visually, no BMI, no numbers at all, and not having read any of this: I don't think you need to lose so much as another ounce. Your actual body under your skin looks very good weight wise, and the loose skin is going to clear up over the next twoish years (that seems to be the predominant advice issued for loose skin on here, not my own info/experience). I can imagine how it would be hard to tell with loose skin, but I think as soon as it tightens up you'll see that you're all muscle now. Definitely up your calories every week until you stop losing and start maintaining (note that when you hit maintenance you may gain 5 lbs, and that's something to do with glycogen stores so don't panic, it's normal). Then you can build muscle and that will really help with the loose skin. :)

You look great! Don't let anyone make you believe otherwise.
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Based soley on your pic, I would say you do not need to lose more weight.

Instead of comparing your weight/stats with other members, focus instead on how you are feeling physically and mentally. Try not to place so much importance on the scale or BMI numbers...these measures are guidelines but they can also be flawed and do not take into account all factors.

You have done an amazing job getting healthly, you are a true inspiration. I think it might take a bit of time for your mind to catch up to your body.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    That depends. You are still slightly in the overweight category for BMI, but BMI isn't always accurate in that it doesn't differentiate between fat and muscle and big bones. Best bet: ask your doctor.
  • jeepinshawn
    Options
    Thanks for the honest opinions!