Bulgarian Method/HIHF training

Options
1235»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm super disapointed I totally missed this till today. I have been venue shopping for my wedding- and honestly- I wasn't on here for at all for like 2 months. - so I totally missed this thread even though Sam tagged me in it. I am JUST reading it to day. #failjofail

I'm glad you found you liked it- I've been running Sheiko on and off for almost 3 years (wow has it been that long- crap)

And you're right- it's a lot of work- but it rarely makes you feel like sore or blown out. Which is why I like it. I personally like the fatigue that comes from doubling/tripling up on major lifts (Sheiko is very Squat/Bench/Squat/Bench heavy) and you bench EVER lift. So its' either a bench oreo (bench squat bench) or a squat oreo- or dead lift oreos.

and who doesn't like oreos!!! LOL

I like it- it's definitely not for everyone- but I like it.

The one thing I would caution going forward- is powerlifting- and high volume- it takes time to do them (my workouts sometimes stretch 2 hrs long) and it's easy to cut mobility work- and any sort of functional limber stuff. Powerlifters who run training programs like this- which are very linear- often have SI joint issues bc of the constant linear plane in which we work.

So doing any sort of mobility/training that A. bends the spine forward- and B. bends you laterally will help reduce your risk of SI joint inflammation.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka I remember Sam mentioning you were running Sheiko. Pretty cool you've been doing it 3 years! I like the visual of oreo workouts. lol

You bring up 2 excellent points about this style:

Time- If/when I run this again I might split it and do a morning/night session. Bench morning/squat night or something along those lines. I was often getting close to running out of time trying to get everything in during my time in the morning which is usually roughly 70-90 minutes.

Mobility- YES! This actually forced me to do more mobility work than I typically do (little) which was very good for me. But yeah, you can't slack on it or you're going to hate yourself. I still have a lot of work to do in this area especially through my hips, but I'm slowly but surely getting better at it and going to make sure I keep at this aspect of things.