Waist Trainers: To avoid or to consider?

Options

Replies

• sandiikat
    sandiikat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As a trained medical professional, I would say avoid it, but it seems you have found every reason to get one as noted by you rebuking all logical answers against them. After you use yours for 4-6 weeks, do not wear for a week then come back and let us know how it is working for you.

Why the hostility? I'm simply asking for opinions is all. I am not trying to rebuke anyone if you were to read my replies... So take your negativity else where.
  • sandiikat
    Options
    It's a corset. They are corsets. They do nothing more magical than a corset does. Well, except they are making some people very rich for spinning a very old piece of fashion clothing as something it is not with very shrewd marketing tactics.

Granted, though, corsets do not make you feel like two pounds of sausage stuffed into a one pound casing like spanx and other modern "foundation wear" does. In fact, corsets can make you fell pretty/sexy/pretty sexy in a way some piece of Maidenform synthetic lycra/spandex shapewear in solid black or nude is never going to.

Although, I must admit I wouldn't mind owning a fainting couch. When are those coming back into style?

Lmfao that last sentence
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    sanrocha8 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, so I was looking into purchasing a waist trainer. Yes, I know they are not good for you and cause your internal organs to move in places they shouldn't, however is this true for ALL waist trainers? I have a lot of stubborn lower back adipose tissue (I hate the word f*t lol) and I feel as if a waist trainer will help "mold" it. I know through diet & exercise it will eventually go away but I see how much quicker these body builder females get their ideal bods by using one. So I wanted to know if all waist trainers are bad. Maybe a less compressing one might be a better option. Is there such a thing as safe waist trainers to use? Please do not go on a 10 page essay rant about how I should never ever wear one, I have a boyfriend at home who tells me every time I bring it up. I just want my sexy bod back! Please only knowledgeable responses please!

P.S. I am not looking for shortcuts! I am already putting in the work (through training, running, CICO) I am just curious and I love the results women have is all.

Am curious myself, TBH
  • aliencheesecake
    Options
    It sounds like you already know how to get your sexy bod back.

And it's not a waist trainer. Female body builders get their ideal bods with hard work and discipline. They will be the first to tell you there's no short cuts.

uhh then why do I see a lot of women utilize them all the time? I mean yes they workout all the time but with their waist trainer ! D:

They wear them to take unrealistically sexy gym selfies.

Seems like it would compress the diaphram some and make a workout less efficient too, wouldn't it?
  • aliencheesecake
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Whenever I see a waist trainer thread, I think of those molds that people use to shape boiled eggs.

You are not a boiled egg, OP.

img_7733.jpg?w=558

I didn't know people did that to eggs. Eew. That's like...egg abuse. lol
  • sandiikat
    Options
    Hey everyone, so I was looking into purchasing a waist trainer. Yes, I know they are not good for you and cause your internal organs to move in places they shouldn't, however is this true for ALL waist trainers? I have a lot of stubborn lower back adipose tissue (I hate the word f*t lol) and I feel as if a waist trainer will help "mold" it. I know through diet & exercise it will eventually go away but I see how much quicker these body builder females get their ideal bods by using one. So I wanted to know if all waist trainers are bad. Maybe a less compressing one might be a better option. Is there such a thing as safe waist trainers to use? Please do not go on a 10 page essay rant about how I should never ever wear one, I have a boyfriend at home who tells me every time I bring it up. I just want my sexy bod back! Please only knowledgeable responses please!

P.S. I am not looking for shortcuts! I am already putting in the work (through training, running, CICO) I am just curious and I love the results women have is all.

Am curious myself, TBH

Samsies! Looks like the majority says Nay which I totally agree I was just seeing if anyone knew of a waist trainer sans side effects. Looks like there's none but slimmers spanx & "foundations panties" are a better alternative!
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting, lots of good information here & I was wondering the same thing!
  • AndrelleJohnson
    AndrelleJohnson Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wear one and doesn't cause harm to my body or anything. When I got mine I used to only wear it when I did some kind of exercise or walking. But it does give me a nice shape but it does hurt your back for awhile when you first get it.

But its up to you if you wanna invest in one or not.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you already know how to get your sexy bod back.

And it's not a waist trainer. Female body builders get their ideal bods with hard work and discipline. They will be the first to tell you there's no short cuts.

uhh then why do I see a lot of women utilize them all the time? I mean yes they workout all the time but with their waist trainer ! D:

I've never seen anyone in a gym using them especially bodybuilders. Unless you are mistaking weight lifting belts for waist trainers..
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    For about the billionth time, elastic waist trainers are not the same thing as a corset nor is a waist training corset the same as an elastic waist trainer. And that's before we get into the different types of corsets from plastic boned "fashion" corsets to steel boned and spiral steel boned "proper" corsets. For the love of all that is historically, modern and medically accurate can we please ensure we're talking about the right ruddy thing when we're trying to scare people! Elastic will not move organs and such!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    First- Let me say that I LOVE a good corset. A good corset hugs my curves, shapes my body, and makes me feel sexy and fun. I also had lower back surgery and when I properly cinch up, it takes all the pressure off those poor little spine bones that don't have any disc between them.

DO- wear one for fun or if you want a special look for a night out. And you'll notice if you wear it for a couple hours that when you take it off, your body will hold the shape for maybe 20-30 minutes before 'relaxing' back into a more natural position, (long enough to 'get it on' with your date without him noticing that you're all midrange flab. ;) )

DON'T- expect it to 'reshape your body' unless you wear it constantly and cinched too tightly for literally months on end, doing extreme damage to your body in the process, not to mention dangerously weakening your core muscles (The corset holds your middle up so your stomach and back muscles don't have to work at all.)

The women in those ads are, as others mentioned, selling a product, and one that doesn't work the way they're promoting it. "Safe" corsetry is about long term fitness to keep your core strong and fit, and using corsets to enhance shape on demand for brief periods,

i think she said all that needs to be said :)
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

img_7733.jpg?w=558[/quote]

These are cute!! My kids might eat eggs if they looked like this.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It's a corset. They are corsets. They do nothing more magical than a corset does. Well, except they are making some people very rich for spinning a very old piece of fashion clothing as something it is not with very shrewd marketing tactics.

Granted, though, corsets do not make you feel like two pounds of sausage stuffed into a one pound casing like spanx and other modern "foundation wear" does. In fact, corsets can make you fell pretty/sexy/pretty sexy in a way some piece of Maidenform synthetic lycra/spandex shapewear in solid black or nude is never going to.

Although, I must admit I wouldn't mind owning a fainting couch. When are those coming back into style?

Why does a corset feel better than something like Spanx? I've never worn a corset but have worn Spanx-like garments and haven't found them to be uncomfortable, but I'm curious as to why a corset would be more comfortable. Aren't they stiffer? That seems like they would be less comfortable.

I don't think she means more comfortable, but you feel "better" because you feel sexy. And typically these days corsets are not worn as undergarments, they're worn to be seen. I usually only pull mine out for Ren Faire, but I really love it (even though I'm seriously tired of wearing it after 8 hours).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    personally, i find a good corset provides more support than spanx, plus they are easier to get off
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    personally, i find a good corset provides more support than spanx, plus they are easier to get off

*gigity*
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    They are uncomfortable honestly it's way easier to lose the weight and tighten your core up with body weight exercises in my opinion.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have a waist trainer. I wear it very infrequently now. When I first got it I was stoked. I looked so shapely and all my clothes looked fantastic. I felt like the red carpet at the Grammys! lol. But, a few days after wearing it for 6-8hours a day I started having this awful tingling especially in my back. Felt like pins and needles but itched more? But it felt like it was inside my skin, like crawling or rolling. Ugghh...I hated it. It felt like my veins were recontracting...i don't know how to put it. Anyway, I stopped wearing it all the time and now wear it for a couple of hours, kinda like a corset or spanx just because I like the look it gives under my clothes..
    BTW,I DO NOT, nor wil ever work out with one on!!!, However, I do see some girls at the gym working out with them, a few weeks ago this one particular girl had 2 on..Yes 2, one on top of the other and was trying to use cable weights. She looked like she was going to pass out. It just didn't look safe at all.
  • Fromflabtofabulous
    Options
    Take a look at this lady's blog. She wears corsets and vintage underwear daily. She talks about all aspects, good or bad. Here's something that may be a tad helpful, it's all about the latex waist trainers that celebrities are using during exercise. http://thenylonswish.com/2015/10/25/latex-waist-trainers/
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Why does a corset feel better than something like Spanx? I've never worn a corset but have worn Spanx-like garments and haven't found them to be uncomfortable, but I'm curious as to why a corset would be more comfortable. Aren't they stiffer? That seems like they would be less comfortable.

Yeah, I like my Spanx. If they make you feel like a sausage, I think you may have the wrong size. For me, it just smooths out the problem areas (which for me are love handles and a bit of a belly).
    Yes, I love my actual Spanx brand Spanx and they smooth me out and are very comfortable. When I purchased them I ask the woman do they roll down or squish you. She stated as long and you purchase your actual size, not the size that you want to be, then they fit like a second skin. I own at least 10 pairs of spanx, all different types and love them all.

• holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    lol VintageFeline...I was thinking the same thing.