Fasted Cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Benefits if any are pretty much negligible. The body is constantly fluxing between fat storage and oxidation...you aren't going to really burn any more net fat in 24 hours doing fasted cardio vs non-fasted.

Yellowon02 wrote: »
    The idea is you have no reserves so your body switches to fat burning faster.

It's well documented. Body builders have been doing it for years.

Like with everything. It depends on the person and their body. We are all unique.

And I drink coffee before/during.

This has all been pretty well debunked....there is probably more woo in the body building industry than any other faction of the diet and fitness industry.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    You disagree we are all genetically different?

I disagree with you using that to infer that fundamental biological functions aren't generally universal

^^This. I agree, "we are all special snow flakes, but that does not mean we are not snow."

On the fasted cardio topic, Brad Shoenfeld's latest research on this.
    http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/54/abstract
    "These findings indicate that body composition changes associated with aerobic exercise in conjunction with a hypocaloric diet are similar regardless whether or not an individual is fasted prior to training."

Now, he has gone on to state on postings and podcasts that for a competitive bodybuilder, this still might be the difference between placing 1st or placing 2nd (for the individual trying to eek out every possible oz of advantage), but for the general populace, evidence does not point to any statistical advantage.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do fasted cardio, and sometimes I use gu chomps.
    i like to do both. I ran 10 miles saturday fasted

I think, it's really personal preference
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is a fundamental difference between "I do fasted cardio because I feel uncomfortable eating before exercise" and "I do fasted cardio because (I believe) it burns more fat". They don't belong in the same discussion--yet every time this topic comes up, they are treated as interchangeable arguments.

Stop the madness. Think. Follow clear logic paths. Make America proud.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    There is a fundamental difference between "I do fasted cardio because I feel uncomfortable eating before exercise" and "I do fasted cardio because (I believe) it burns more fat". They don't belong in the same discussion--yet every time this topic comes up, they are treated as interchangeable arguments.

To be honest, anyone who calls it 'fasted cardio' is probably not doing it for the endurance training benefits.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Fasted cardio is good for training for long endurance events - you get better at burning fat which means you burn less glycogen so you don't run low on glycogen as early.

It does zero for body composition and you certainly aren't somehow burning more calories. If you were to do the same cardio not fasted, yes you'd burn a lower percentage of fat, but also higher percentage of glycogen. Unlike fat, glycogen is an energy store that will be replenished, even in a calorie deficit. It all evens out in the end.

ETA: added 'not' before fasted - because I can't brain today.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio and endurance benefits are adhered to for me. I am not training for a marathon or 1/2 marathon but I run more than a 5K each day...

Eating with anything in my stomach makes me taste it later and I hate that. But at 5:30 a.m. who wants to break fast and go running?

@stealthq is spot on.
  • sarab260
    sarab260 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Hey there. Appreciate the input — sorry to hear that my question came across as illogical, but I don't think it's unreasonable for someone who's new to working out to wonder about the potential benefits behind certain preferences. You have a point though and I will be sure not to group the categories of thinking together.

Everyone else -- thanks so much for sharing and commenting! Very interesting to read about peoples' preferences as well as the debate behind whether or not there is a real benefit to either exercise technique.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's subject to the individual. Some eat normal, some nibble, some fast.
    Is it giving ypu the energy you need? More than likely not, but if you like it then do it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    sarab260 wrote: »

Hey there. Appreciate the input — sorry to hear that my question came across as illogical, but I don't think it's unreasonable for someone who's new to working out to wonder about the potential benefits behind certain preferences. You have a point though and I will be sure not to group the categories of thinking together.

Everyone else -- thanks so much for sharing and commenting! Very interesting to read about peoples' preferences as well as the debate behind whether or not there is a real benefit to either exercise technique.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day!

Your question was fine--I was just being a goof.