sick of being a fat chick, I want to be a fit chick!

Options
So I finally decided to do something. My friend is a competitive power lifter and recommended this site and bodybuilding.com to get on track. She said I’ll have to start eating differently and lifting weights. She is totally ripped, but I don’t think that I want to look like a man. She also is refusing to help me out until I get my butt in gear. I’ve given up before I started many times before - so maybe she’s thinking it may motivate me? Anyhow, what are some easy ways to get started? I want to show her what I can do on my own!

Replies

• mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well just being on here, and reaching out for advice is the first step! Do you belong to a gym, or have any idea what kind of exercise you want to do? Also, what is your diet like now?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you're not gonna look like a man.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    So I finally decided to do something. My friend is a competitive power lifter and recommended this site and bodybuilding.com to get on track. She said I’ll have to start eating differently and lifting weights. She is totally ripped, but I don’t think that I want to look like a man. She also is refusing to help me out until I get my butt in gear. I’ve given up before I started many times before - so maybe she’s thinking it may motivate me? Anyhow, what are some easy ways to get started? I want to show her what I can do on my own!

Hard to know what to tell you without your stats and an open diary.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Definitely won't look like a man unless you already look like one
  • adortchable
    adortchable Posts: 6 Member
    Options

:D Ha ! I can't ...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why in the heck would you look like a man?

What are your stats? Set up an appropriate goal to lose fat while you lift to maintain muscle mass. Show her what you set up here, and tell her you're ready to get started with a beginners full body lifting program.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Haha exactly! I don't know why women always think this or where this myth started....It reminded me of this list I was reading the other day about how you know you are a "Fit Chick" lol these are too funny, and true - I think number 7 and number 13 apply here ;)https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/15_signs_that_you_are_a_fit_girl/
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You'd have to gain a TON of muscle to look like a man. Fret not.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting doesn't make a women look like a man. It will lean you out. Unless you are on steroids, muscle gains are actually hard and don't just happen.
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well...I know a lot of men and some of them have smaller muscles then me, LOL...I don't feel like I look like a man from the heavy lifting I do. But on serious note, educate yourself, set goals and stick with it.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Lifting heavy does not make females bulky. It's a sad, sad misconception.
  • smis92103
    Options
    So...did you start yet? What are your first steps to achieve your goal?

Haha exactly! I don't know why women always think this or where this myth started....It reminded me of this list I was reading the other day about how you know you are a "Fit Chick" lol these are too funny, and true - I think number 7 and number 13 apply here ;)https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/15_signs_that_you_are_a_fit_girl/

That's hilarious. All apply to me! LOL

• ericvaldesere
    ericvaldesere Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Research is your best friend. But unless you act on any of it its pointless.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    DrDaveL wrote: »
    Each body is different, and weight management is not one-size-fits-all so working with a licensed naturopath or functional medicine doctor can help you find the some of the biochemical and nutritional imbalances you are dealing with at first. The biggest thing to understand is that is not always about calories or weight or any one thing. Take a look at my site for a few ideas on things to think about to develop a well-rounded treatment plan. Best of luck on your journey. Dr Dave

[Edited by MFP Mods]

What?

No.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    OP, you need to get a food scale and put your stats into MFP to figure out how many calories you should be eating per day. How much weight are you looking to lose?

Also, if you want to preserve muscle while losing the weight, doing some sort of progressive lifting program (such as StrongLifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength) and getting adequate protein are both really important.

Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Also look through these threads: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

It is absolutely all about calories for 99% of the population - don't let some whack job fill your head with naturopathic mumbo jumbo (referring to one of the posts in this thread - which is completely false).

Good luck, and have fun!
  • smis92103
    Options
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Losing weight takes some work. Getting ripped takes a lot of work. Looking like the competitive power lifters takes an enormous amount of work.

You haven't done anything yet.

Set a calorie goal, weigh and measure your food, see you in a week.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    what are your stats (has OP even been back?)

do you need to lose weight or start lifting or a combination of the two?

youre not going to look like a man unless you start taking testosterone and steroid injections ......

right now, presumably, you're sitting on your butt doing nothing, so its kind of a moot point.....
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    4vhfv3n9z6yt.jpg

Please check out the the following group in Facebook
    I am an iron addict Female Bodybuilding

There is a reason why girls on in the group (I am an iron addict Female Bodybuilding) has more muscle mass then both girls combined in the photo

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    4vhfv3n9z6yt.jpg

Please check out the the following group in Facebook
    I am an iron addict Female Bodybuilding

There is a reason why girls on in the group (I am an iron addict Female Bodybuilding) has more muscle mass then both girls combined in the photo

Does it rhyme with swearoids?