Didn't lose any weight from walking

Options

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Walking just doesn't do it for me. I got a Fitbit One as part of a wellness program with my health insurance company in 2014. I got 10,000 or more steps per day (about five miles per day) every single day for over two years and I actually gained 20 pounds (of fat, not muscle...). Granted, I was not eating right at all.

Then it's not the walking, it was your eating habits. There are no buts. Walking is great for most people who want to lose weight because it's an exercise almost anyone can do. The calorie burn you get from it depends on a multitude of factors, but walking a magical 10000 steps does not guarantee an immense amount of weight loss. Walking five miles can easily be canceled out with a snack.

Some people assume that walking gives them leeway to eat a bunch more then they act shocked when they maintain or even gain weight. My 15000 steps daily only gives me a few hundred extra to play with depending on the duration and the intensity. I'm 5'3" and 113 pounds and the other day I earned around 900 extra calories for 31000 steps. However, I walked at a rate of 4 mph most of the time and I have a Charge HR so my heart rate was measured the whole time.

Exactly. The big reason walking works for many is because it is one of the few exercises that doesn't typically leave you hungry afterwards so many people don't cancel out the walking with a snack, but that doesn't mean everyone skips the extra food.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well it depends on the walking. Walking is a broad term. It can mean slowly strolling or race walking or somewhere in between.

FWIW, pace doesn't impact calorie burn that much for me. Online calculators give me about 300 kcal for 4 miles--slightly more when running 8 min miles than walking 12 min miles, but honestly, about the same. My fitbit charge HR gives me more calories for a slower pace. All I can figure is 4 mi take longer at the slower pace, so I'm getting the benefit of baseline burn that would have happened anyway. It's weird, and a bit discouraging as running is considerably more effort.

ETA: When I walk extra slow, with HR registering "out of range" (not "fat burning" or "cardio" for the whole duration), I get the most calories burned of all. Very odd.
  • fearluna
    fearluna Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'd like to mention again, that even though I ate fish and chips and a beer, It was basically my only meal that day. i had some toast for breakfast or a meal bar but that was it a day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    "I ate fish and chips and beer every day for 2 weeks and don't understand why I gained weight." You have answered your own question.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    fearluna wrote: »
    I'd like to mention again, that even though I ate fish and chips and a beer, It was basically my only meal that day. i had some toast for breakfast or a meal bar but that was it a day.

How many slices what did you have on it
    Drinks?
    How many calories in meal bar

I still think,it's mainly water weight
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    "I ate fish and chips and beer every day for 2 weeks and don't understand why I gained weight." You have answered your own question.

1 week. 4 pounds of fat in 1 week is nearly impossible.
  • fearluna
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Well no, I didnt eat just fish and chips for all 2 weeks. only 4 days. I ate other stuff that wasnt fried like pasta somedays too.
  • fearluna
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Drinks?

two slices butter and jelly.

190 in the bar

i drink mostly water but had tea and skinny lattes too
  • tara_means_star
    Options

Drinks?

190 in the bar

In all honesty, you may have eaten at maintenance, you may have gone over a little bit. You didn't likely go over 4 pounds worth. Most of that is water weight. Give it a week or two, weigh again.
  • fearluna
    Options

Drinks?

190 in the bar

In all honesty, you may have eaten at maintenance, you may have gone over a little bit. You didn't likely go over 4 pounds worth. Most of that is water weight. Give it a week or two, weigh again.

Okay, I will. I just find it strange because I cant imagine one meal a day with all the walking can make me gain weight. But it might have been all the salt. I didnt drink as much water as a should have either because water wasnt free there, ya know?
  • fearluna
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If it also helps I'm 5'9" and I usually weigh 155
  • tara_means_star
    Options

Drinks?

190 in the bar

Okay, I will. I just find it strange because I cant imagine one meal a day with all the walking can make me gain weight. But it might have been all the salt. I didnt drink as much water as a should have either because water wasnt free there, ya know?

Its definitely the salt, dehydration from alcohol, water retention from walking and flying. Only time will tell if you have any actual fat gain. If you did, you ate a bit over maintenance, if not, you didn't.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Flying causes water retention, too. :)

And this opinion is going to be highly unpopular here, but I don't care.
    Give yourself a break- You were on vacation. In London! Eat some fish & chips, have a beer, eat a scone, do some walking sightseeing and having fun. You'll get a little too much salt and fat, and when you look at back London, hopefully you'll remember fabulous adventures in one of the worlds most incredible historic cities, and not that you were hungry and sad that you didn't try some of the food.
    This is change for life, remember. If you're too busy worrying about how many calories you ate or how many steps you walked to stop and watch the crows at the Tower, then what kind of memories did you really make? Four pounds, most of which is probably water and will dissipate in a few days of getting back to your routine, is really not much in exchange for memories that will last a lifetime. :)
  • fearluna
    Options
    Calories
    Salt
    Travel

So if your calories in exceeded your calories out you probably increased fat

If your sodium and carb intake shot up probably water weight

If the walking is unusual for you probably water weight

If you flew water weight

Give it a couple of weeks weigh again and you'll know whether it was water weight or some fat gain

To be honest though for fat gain you'd have had to eat around 14000 calories over maintenance which I imagine was hard to do so I would almost bet water weight

Thank you, this sounds about right. Should I drink more water then or less to counter this?
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    It's probably a combination of food and travel. I went on a cruise a few years ago, was fairly careful with my food intake and walked more than I ever have in my entire life and still gained 10 lbs. I lost it all the following week so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Calories
    Salt
    Travel

So if your calories in exceeded your calories out you probably increased fat

If your sodium and carb intake shot up probably water weight

If the walking is unusual for you probably water weight

If you flew water weight

Give it a couple of weeks weigh again and you'll know whether it was water weight or some fat gain

To be honest though for fat gain you'd have had to eat around 14000 calories over maintenance which I imagine was hard to do so I would almost bet water weight

Thank you, this sounds about right. Should I drink more water then or less to counter this?

More
  • fearluna
    Options

Give yourself a break- You were on vacation. In London! Eat some fish & chips, have a beer, eat a scone, do some walking sightseeing and having fun. You'll get a little too much salt and fat, and when you look at back London, hopefully you'll remember fabulous adventures in one of the worlds most incredible historic cities, and not that you were hungry and sad that you didn't try some of the food.
    This is change for life, remember. If you're too busy worrying about how many calories you ate or how many steps you walked to stop and watch the crows at the Tower, then what kind of memories did you really make? Four pounds, most of which is probably water and will dissipate in a few days of getting back to your routine, is really not much in exchange for memories that will last a lifetime. :)

This is lovely and true. I saw all of that. Though I was creeped out they feed the crows blood soaked biscuits lol but youre right. I had an amazing time and I shouldn't worry about the weight. :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I always gain about 5 lbs on the scale if I take a long flight. It goes away--just water weight.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Not sure why you even said that. You're right about giving yourself a break while on vacation. I don't know too many here that would disagree with that.
  • MarmiteToes
    MarmiteToes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Honestly, don't stress about it. It was a vacation, not a time to stress about calories. I'm glad you lived it up while on vacation! I'm sure you'll get back on track now that you're home.

I'm a little surprised you didn't maintain if you did a lot of walking, but it sounds like there are a lot of possible explanations (e.g., water retention from flying, sodium, etc.). I was shocked that I managed to lose weight when I went to London a few years back since I did nothing but eat with reckless abandon. We're talking cake and pastry for breakfast, Indian food, rich savory pies, and pizza for lunch, and dinners out at nice restaurants. Plus I went through about two boxes of mini pies from Marks & Spencer during the one week I was there. I chalked it up to all of the walking I did while we there. London's a great city to explore on foot!