Cheat Days

Options

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    What damage will this do? Is it really that bad? All I want to do is maintain my weight and be able to eat stuff I enjoy only on cheat days.

Why do you feel like you can only have these things on cheat days? I mean if it's Wednesday and I want some chocolate, I'm having some chocolate. I'm not going over board and eating all the chocolate I can find . . . but I will have some.

Or if it's a Saturday afternoon and I want to have a few chips or cookies, or whatever I will. But I'm not eating between 2 and 5 bags of them.

From my experience, and so take it or leave it as it won't work for everyone, if you find you really want something on a Thursday instead of your "cheat day" having it will probably lead to smaller binges on your actual cheat day . . . you probably won't crave these things as much. If you can - keyword being IF - control and portion your intake (which I know if you have or have had an ED that can be an issue/touchy subject) you might find you aren't as likely to have 5K + cal days.

Further, if you are recovering from an ED I think you need to speak with your team of people about this. I don't think it sounds healthy - I am not recovering from an ED so I can't say for sure but from what I've read it's not great.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I honestly don't know. "Teenage kick back and enjoy treat day" I suppose
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What damage will this do? Is it really that bad? All I want to do is maintain my weight and be able to eat stuff I enjoy only on cheat days.

In and of itself, it won't do much. What you do on a day to day basis matters fairly little, it's the long term trends in behavior that matter. If your long term behavior is fine, then you should be ok.

Speaking as someone who has problems with binging (planned or not), it's an exceptionally slippery slope. And that's a very real problem.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know. "Teenage kick back and enjoy treat day" I suppose

If you're under-eating and over-exercising six days a week to make up for it, it doesn't sound much like kicking back and enjoying anything.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I have to plan or I'll slip and overeat on days I don't plan.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I have to plan or I'll slip and overeat on days I don't plan.

Most people here plan. I plan myself. But those plans don't have to involve under-eating and over-exercising.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I try to eat at least 1500-1800. Still bad?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I try to eat at least 1500-1800. Still bad?

I have no idea what your energy needs are. I'm going off your own statements: "Yeah I know I undereat."
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Everyone says I undereat but I always have tons of energy for my 2.5 hour workout.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Everyone says I undereat but I always have tons of energy for my 2.5 hour workout.

When people around you tell you something, it's often something to seriously consider. Especially if you have an history of ED, which you do.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    What I want to know is that if I do do this, will it work?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    What I want to know is that if I do do this, will it work?

If over time your cals in = cals out, then yes... you'll maintain your weight.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    That's what I thought. Thank you. This idea came from watching ErikTheElectric on YouTube and got me very curious.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    1 day "binging" a little shouldn't b that bad right? We r all human and we all do it, but I know how to control it
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    1 day "binging" a little shouldn't b that bad right? We r all human and we all do it, but I know how to control it

Listen to yourself... you're trying to convince yourself that it's ok. Doesn't that tell you something???

ok, how do I unsubscribe from this thread?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

We are all human, but we don't all binge. Binges aren't inevitable. You can get help with this, lots of people (including myself) have gotten help for this. Good luck.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

A 5K cal/day is not bingeing "a little" at all. That's a huge caloric intake increase if your normal daily amount is 1500 - 1800.

ETA: In fact, I don't know if you can even binge a little at all. You can over eat a little. But isn't a binge a dramatic increase in your intake?
  • ChicagoCalifornian
    Options
    Damn everyone is harsh here. I know people that eat healthy all week and eat whatever they want on the weekends and stay in decent shape. Not sure your goals but I know plenty of people that are ok with just decent shape. Try it out for a while and see if it works for you!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Damn everyone is harsh here. I know people that eat healthy all week and eat whatever they want on the weekends and stay in decent shape. Not sure your goals but I know plenty of people that are ok with just decent shape. Try it out for a while and see if it works for you!

you do realize that OP is a recovering Anorexic and is now going to the other extreme of binge eating and over exercising, right? Not sure how people are being harsh when they are telling OP that she should discuss this with a professional before she ends up with another eating disorder...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP it sounds like you are trying to find loopholes and/or justify engaging in disordered eating (binge/restrict in this case). Regardless of whether you have enough energy to exercise intensely, or whether you are consuming over a certain amount of calories regularly, if people are concerned enough based on your past issues with an ED to comment that they think you may be undereating, and if you are here trying to get approval for this excessive calorie intake one day/week, maybe you need to seriously consider if this is a healthy approach FOR YOU.

Although many people do have cheat days, refeed days, etc - when a person has a history of disordered eating, this approach is a slippery slope so it may not be healthy FOR YOU.