Activity level

Options
I'm still confused figuring out what my activity level is (for purposes of calculating calories for weight loss).

To be fair to myself, I'm loosing weight at at good rate. I use a combination of MFP and Fitbit (I've got the zip).
I'm hitting 10,000 steps most days. My goal is 75 active minutes (per fitbit tracking).

I'm 5'2" and right now 205 lbs (down from 225 on Dec 1st).

My Fitbit daily calories burned (or TDEE) is between 2,300 and 2,400.

Before I started all this I was sedentary. I'm just confused if my activity level qualifies as Light or moderate now.
Intensity level would still be considered low compared to folks who are fit. However for my own level of fitness I'm probably at a moderate burn rate (which often is confirmed by fitbit that I'm at moderate intensity).

So where does roughly 60 minutes of moderate activity a day count as?

Replies

• Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit and I set my activity level to sedentary and let the fitbit adjust calories from activity.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm still confused figuring out what my activity level is (for purposes of calculating calories for weight loss).

To be fair to myself, I'm loosing weight at at good rate. I use a combination of MFP and Fitbit (I've got the zip).
    I'm hitting 10,000 steps most days. My goal is 75 active minutes (per fitbit tracking).

I'm 5'2" and right now 205 lbs (down from 225 on Dec 1st).

My Fitbit daily calories burned (or TDEE) is between 2,300 and 2,400.

Before I started all this I was sedentary. I'm just confused if my activity level qualifies as Light or moderate now.
    Intensity level would still be considered low compared to folks who are fit. However for my own level of fitness I'm probably at a moderate burn rate (which often is confirmed by fitbit that I'm at moderate intensity).

So where does roughly 60 minutes of moderate activity a day count as?

That would put you into active but with a fitbit you can let the fitbit do the adjustments as indicated. Just make sure you allow for negative as adjustments as well.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you're using the Fitbit, its not important for you to guess the AL correctly. The Fitbit adjustment makes up for that.

If you're not using a tracker, it becomes more important.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    I use a Fitbit and I set my activity level to sedentary and let the fitbit adjust calories from activity.

This^

Sync your FitBit to MFP (see the APPS menu) and it will adjust your calories up or down based upon the activity level you registered with MFP. If you see large adjustments daily, then you can increase your activity level in MFP. Increasing your MFP activity level will decrease the FitBit adjustments.

Yes - allowing negative adjustments is a good idea.

Here's a link to the FitBit group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • kerivkennedy
    kerivkennedy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    okay. I think I have it set to sedentary in Fitbit.
    Mostly what I'm trying to do is make sure my calories in is ~ 1000 less than what it says I burned (remember I've got a LOT to loose) and I'm by no means going hungry. I firmly believe if I'm hungry than I eat.

I think in part I want to know for my own satisfaction. This isn't just about loosing weight, its about becoming a healthier me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    okay. I think I have it set to sedentary in Fitbit.
    Mostly what I'm trying to do is make sure my calories in is ~ 1000 less than what it says I burned (remember I've got a LOT to loose) and I'm by no means going hungry. I firmly believe if I'm hungry than I eat.

I think in part I want to know for my own satisfaction. This isn't just about loosing weight, its about becoming a healthier me.

You'll want to set it to sedentary on MFP, not Fitbit.