Cutting down on alcohol

Options
I used to drink sometimes up to 7 days a week, and not just 1 drink a day at least 2-3 sometimes more. If I am now counting calories during the week, and only drinking on special occasion, and weekends will I lose weight. Or will the drinks on the weekends kill my weekly progress? One would assume cutting down your calorie intake would help you lose weight over all, but I'm concerned still.

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight by staying under your calorie goal. Doesn't matter what you eat or drink - you need to not exceed your calorie limit.

Do alcoholic drinks fill you up? Not likely. You can definitely choose more filling foods to meet calorie goals.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    1lb of fat weights ~3500 calories. Whenever you sum up a total deficit of 3500 calories, you'll lose an lb. If you want to drink on the weekend, just plan during the week to 'bank' some calories. If you lose a pound by Saturday, you've had a deficit during the week of 3500 calories. If you then go out Saturday night and have 1000 calories of beer, you'll give up some of your work. All things equal, it will slow you down. Just track accurately, and track the beer too. I tend to eat when I drink, so beer also means chips and salsa or pizza or whatever else plus a big breakfast the next day to shake off the night before. If you're doing all that, it is possible to wipe out much of your weekly progress.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Generally if you consume fewer calories than you expend you will lose weight. It's up to you what you consume for your calorie goal. I would just point out that alcohol is pretty high calorie and can make you snack badly when your inhibitions start dropping (I speak from experience!). I have found that for myself I do better cutting alcohol out completely until I'm at maintenance but plenty of people do just fine drinking in moderation whilst losing weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i bank calories all week so i can drink on the weekends ;)

80 pounds down tells me it can be done LOL
  • KayV85
    KayV85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot but I've cut down to once a fortnight, I class it as part of my treat day. Apparently vodka & diet soda is lower in calories than wine, beer etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    KayV85 wrote: »
    I used to drink a lot but I've cut down to once a fortnight, I class it as part of my treat day. Apparently vodka & diet soda is lower in calories than wine, beer etc.

Red wine has about 25 calories an ounce. Vodka has about 65 (for 80 proof). The difference is in the standard pour -- 5 ounces is a standard pour of red wine, you'll have less in a typical vodka drink.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it into your calories for he week, you can still drink. I'm banking a huge amount of calories this week for Sunday because of the Superbowl. I plan on consuming close to 4000 calories on Sunday with alcohol and wings.

Go Broncos.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it into your calories for he week, you can still drink. I'm banking a huge amount of calories this week for Sunday because of the Superbowl. I plan on consuming close to 4000 calories on Sunday with alcohol and wings.

Go Broncos.

wrong team dear. This proud carolina girl has been a fan since day 1! ;)
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The effects of alcohol once in digestion phase is that it breaks up into fat and acetate...

Acetate is utilized as the primary source of fuel rather than fats carbs or proteins which are then swept "under the rug"... The wasteline.

Consumption of alcohol also has a relationship with the desire to eat more (calories). Furthermore, alcohol increases cortisol levels which causes the body to breakdown muscles. Additionally decrease Testosterone levels. Low testosterone levels means the body is less likely to burn fat as fuel or build lean muscle.

Science Rocks. Just wish this was as easy to follow as it is to type.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

Go Broncos.

wrong team dear. This proud carolina girl has been a fan since day 1! ;)

I hope you banked extra calories so you can drown your sorrows when you lose on Sunday!

.... and if you win feel free to rub it in my face ahhahahah
  • briggsykim
    briggsykim Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    The effects of alcohol once in digestion phase is that it breaks up into fat and acetate...

Acetate is utilized as the primary source of fuel rather than fats carbs or proteins which are then swept "under the rug"... The wasteline.

Consumption of alcohol also has a relationship with the desire to eat more (calories). Furthermore, alcohol increases cortisol levels which causes the body to breakdown muscles. Additionally decrease Testosterone levels. Low testosterone levels means the body is less likely to burn fat as fuel or build lean muscle.

Science Rocks. Just wish this was as easy to follow as it is to type.

Wow
  • suzannebreden
    suzannebreden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Gutted. So I genuinely have to cut down on the weekend. I have been sticking to 1200 per day mid week for 2 weeks. I have been to circuit training and did a few runs. I have been losing approx 2lb through the week but piled it back on over the weekend. Going to 'boogie bounce' tomorrow... Determined to keep it off this weekend.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I leave room in my meal plan for one glass of red wine a day. I'd rather enjoy one glass each day than drink too much on the weekend.
  • nicholerein
    nicholerein Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for all the input! I'm just wondering tho is it really only about a weekly basis of calories, or wouldn't cutting out all that extra alcohol and the other bad foods I used to eat more of every day, cause me to lose weight anyhow eventually? Either way you look at it I'm taking in less calories each month now you'd think right?
  • joeneely71
    joeneely71 Posts: 49 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Completely non-scientific input here. I quit drinking 3+ years ago but I filled the void with other unhealthy calories, particularly a 248-calorie Milky Way bar virtually every day. I think I also added calories because I used to frequently "drink" my dinner in the form of vodka, and after quitting booze I consumed more calories (in the form of real food - imagine that!). So while my mind and spirit were getting healthy, my weight was going up and up. Just as I eventually reached a bottom with alcohol, so I did with my weight. Now I'm healthy in my head and getting there with my body. Life is good.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I added it up a few weeks ago, and before I started I was drinking 4000 (!!!!!) calories a week in wine alone. FOUR THOUSAND. Just cutting back to one (measured out) glass of wine per day has shown tremendous results (along with more consistent exercise). If you cut it out entirely (and good luck with that LOL), you should drop pretty quickly (provided that you're eating correctly).
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for all the input! I'm just wondering tho is it really only about a weekly basis of calories, or wouldn't cutting out all that extra alcohol and the other bad foods I used to eat more of every day, cause me to lose weight anyhow eventually? Either way you look at it I'm taking in less calories each month now you'd think right?

Provided you don't replace the alcohol with other calories, you should lose if that puts you under your maintenance calories. I cut alcohol back from an every day thing to two drinks on Saturdays and Sundays (and I budget those in to my calories for the day), and it's definitely made a difference.
  • nicholerein
    nicholerein Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah hehe :smile: I just don't get why it seems it's all based only weekly calories, what about calories consumed like over the course of a month or a year?.... Cutting back on alcohol and eating healthier will cut calories in the long run anyhow though won't it?