Garmin connect causing calorie overload

Options
Moring all, I have what I can only assume is a massive operator error between Garmin connect and MFP. I got a vivo smart hr for my birthday to give myself some data I can work to improve and remind me to get off my bum. I have had it for a couple days and love the device, and some of the data pretty neat, my problem is it has straight up broken my food diary in calorie count. It is pretty much giving me an exorcise calorie burned for every step I take, so it saying adding 5k calories to my daily allowence. I am morbidly obese, but I am pretty sure with my activity level I shouldnd be consuming 7000 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. Any idea what I set wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Can u not track the steps in MFP? Just on the app?
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I suppose I could disconnect the Garmin app from MFP, but I was hoping there was some kind of setting I had wrong that would fix it.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a vivosmart HR and love it! That is a very strange problem. Have you edited settings in the Connect app? Are all your settings in MFP correct? Do both apps have the same time zone (mine didn't and I had to edit).
  • evildeadedd
    Options
    I think the settings right, I have looked at every option in both apps. But it gave me over 4000 exorcise calories for today( work midnights so close to bed time for me). I am pretty sure just walking 5500 steps at my job is not that intense. Looking at it the only thing I can think is Garmin connect is saying that 4000 cal is my BMR plus activity, which still seems super high, but closer. The trouble is MFP is adding that 4000 to my goal of 2000 consumed. There has to be a setting that's off, but damned if I can find it.
  • zenjen13
    Options
    I know Connect begins and ends each 'day' at midnight, maybe that is contributing....I'm stumped... you can email them. I emailed them about it not tracking my intensity minutes (it's a software thing they are working on) and I got a response in 24 hrs. Also, join the Garmin Forum because they are helpful there too.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Set your activity level to sedentary, and let the step counter account for your activity. I'd also confirm your planned deficit and your height/ weight.

GC will be able to tell you what it's accounting for BMR and what it's adding for activity on a daily basis.
  • zenjen13
    Options
    Set your activity level to sedentary, and let the step counter account for your activity. I'd also confirm your planned deficit and your height/ weight.

GC will be able to tell you what it's accounting for BMR and what it's adding for activity on a daily basis.

Good catch, I didn't realize from the Info that it is double counting the exercise. Good advice there. ^^^
  • catherj
    catherj Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can also set MFP to not count your steps for calorie purposes
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Huh, I have a Vivofit, and I love the integration between Garmin and here. Mine usually it takes away calories for not being active enough, even when I do have like 10,000 steps, but my activity level is moderate (or something like that, I'm a nurse, so I am pretty active at my job).

Check your Garmin settings, make sure your weight and activity level are accurate there, and then make sure your activities are accurate between the two. Sometimes, mine ends up double-entering my activities, because I also track them through Endomondo app to get an idea of how my heartrate is doing in individual activities. You can also double check the settings and uncheck the option to automatically add an activity based on your heartrate or increase in activity.

You can also just disconnect the two entirely, but I rely on mine a lot for more accurate activity level measurement throughout the day. Usually, it does a great job.
  • Hilltopper1997
    Hilltopper1997 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have my viviofit connect with mfp, but I don't have my viviofit data count in my calories. I add in my activity through mfp. I just did not like what the data did to my calories in mfp. Just my two cents!
  • zenjen13
    Options
    Huh, I have a Vivofit, and I love the integration between Garmin and here. Mine usually it takes away calories for not being active enough, even when I do have like 10,000 steps, but my activity level is moderate (or something like that, I'm a nurse, so I am pretty active at my job).

Check your Garmin settings, make sure your weight and activity level are accurate there, and then make sure your activities are accurate between the two. Sometimes, mine ends up double-entering my activities, because I also track them through Endomondo app to get an idea of how my heartrate is doing in individual activities. You can also double check the settings and uncheck the option to automatically add an activity based on your heartrate or increase in activity.

You can also just disconnect the two entirely, but I rely on mine a lot for more accurate activity level measurement throughout the day. Usually, it does a great job.

Yes, I think you need to look at what your activity level is and height/weight stats - that could be where the problem lies. Also, enable negative calories too.
    I have my viviofit connect with mfp, but I don't have my viviofit data count in my calories. I add in my activity through mfp. I just did not like what the data did to my calories in mfp. Just my two cents!

But OP has a VivoSmart HR so it is pretty accurate as it reads heart rate. I find mine is WAY more accurate than MFP for calories burned. I don't suggest entering the info manually with this device but the VivoFit may be a different story.

OP - did you find a solution?
  • evildeadedd
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have just been ignoring the calories Garmin giving me. I have looked over the settings on both mfp and GC, and I can't find anything that changes the numbers. It seems to me that GC is taking my BMR and adding it to my MFP calorie goal. So mfp gives me a goal of 2060 and then GC adds like 4000 on top of that for a total of 6000 calories or more to eat a day, can't figure out what I need to set, so just ignoring the calorie suggestion from GC all together.