What do I do with quinoa?

Options
I'm not sure how to eat this besides plain. Ideas?

Replies

• fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite quick snack to keep in my fridge is quinoa, mushrooms and onions. I sautee some onions and mushrooms with a pat of real butter and whatever seasonings I feel like, cook my quinoa in chicken broth and throw it all together in a gladware container. I keep it in the fridge and just scoop out a portion whenever I want it. It's yummy hot or cold.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i make a mac and cheese out of it, put stir fry vegetables on top, mix it with beans and hot sauce and put it in a burrito, mix it with pesto and olive oil and spread it over white fish.....just what I can think of right now.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My favourite quinoa is pretty similar to what fotofreak01 said, I just use garlic instead of onions and cook my quinoa in a regular water.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i use quinoa a lot
    asian/chinese type of meals

But also in my morning oats
    Or i make quinoa pancakes or fritata's
    And i love yogurt quinoa and blueberries

Its a grain so you do a lot with it. Even make flour out of it, if you want too.

But in the morning a bit of quinoa with butter, syrup and cinnamon is lovely too. :)

95069916.png

• mcsnora
    mcsnora Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly like you are saying. I use it as a rice substitute, or pasta. I get chicken stock or vegetable broth, and cook it according to the directions on the package. I chunk black bean patties and add peppers, corn, diced tomatoes, and a bunch of stuff. If you go to allrecipes and put quinoa in the search, you will find recipes.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I make something called 3-grain mix : Buckwheat, Quinoa and Amaranth together in a 50/30/20 mixture. I cook it like porridge in a huge stock pot for the week, then keep it in the fridge, taking hunks out of it as I need it.

With 3-grain mix I can do ALL SORTS of things! :)

Some include:
    1. Using it as a base for my morning brakfast
    2. Using it as a substitute for mince in my favourite chilli recipe
    3. Using it as a substitute for mince in my meatloaf recipe
    4. Spicing it up with some mushrooms and onions then serving over fresh spinach salad

I'm fairly sure if I didn't keep a stock of 3-grain mix my vegan cooking and some of my nutrition would go to hell lol
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Use its stench to put off guests coming round.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I use it in casseroles in place of pasta. I put it in soups and love it mixed up in cold salads. try allrecipes.com and just search quinoa, you'll be shocked by how much you can make. I do love it as a side dish too
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Make a cold salad out of it with veggies, beans, nuts. Dress with olive oil and lemon juice.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Use it in any recipe that calls for couscous. The grain nugget is about the same size. I'd cook it plain and add a little lemon juice, olive oil, grated onions, and paprika.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I use it as a rice replacement typically.
    Also make a salad using quinoa, red onion, colored peppers and cucumbers.
    Sometimes I add feta cheese.
    Dress it with olive oil and salt and pepper
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I've always used it like rice - I love this Quinoa Fiesta Enchilada Bake and these Quinoa Spinach Patties (they freeze really well!)
  • KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd add, you can use it as a filler in wraps and such!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I use it with green and red peppers, onions and Italian dressing. I also have it most morning for breakfast by adding salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. When I make pepper steak my family loves it with quinoa. You can really use it in place of any meal that normally uses rice. Hope this helps.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I use it for the base of meatless meals. Quinoa, black beans, cheese, and egg make burgers, Enchaladis, stuffed peppers....
  • squatdeadrun
    squatdeadrun Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had an amazing quinoa bowl recently (think burrito bowl). It was quinoa, black beans, feta, chopped red onions, avocado, cilantro, and drizzled with red pepper vinaigrette. So delicious.
  • elinor32
    elinor32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD so many delicious things!!!

Some favorites:

-on a salad yum!
    -in a stuffed red pepper!
    -cooked and mixed with cooked sweet potatoes, craisins, walnuts, caramelized red onion
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-deen/quinoa-stuffed-poblano-peppers-recipe.html

I'd also echo @QueenMuncy suggestion on patties. You can find different recipes that fit flavor profiles up your alley. Good stuff.