Losing weight with chronic pain, anyone else?

Options
2»

Replies

• pewpewkapow
    pewpewkapow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Honestly, weight loss is about 30% exercise and 70% diet. I have a terrible back as well as pernicious anemia which makes anything above a slow walking speed exhausting to the point of fainting and I need to conserve what little energy and B12 I have so I do very little exercise. I have managed to lose 43kg so far over the last year just from eating 1300cal or less a day. If I have spare energy I will go for a 30min walk or lift 5kg weights for 15mins but I don't do much. I'm looking to do more simply to tone up but you really can lose weight by diet alone, trust me. Exercise will probably speed it up a bit and help you tone up more, but it's still possible to lose large amounts of weight with very little to no exercise.

I didn't know that, but that's awesome - that weight loss can be done without much exercise. And congrats on your weight loss!

Yep, it really comes down to what you eat. Some people can work out all day and not lose a single kilo if they continue to eat over their daily calories. If you maintain a basic calorie intake of 1200-1400 a day you will lose weight, even without lifting a finger. Trust me, it works. :)
  • focusonme14
    focusonme14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and other chronic pain issues along with arthritis. It is hard to move most days. I am about 60 pounds overweight and have other horrible habits that I am sure contributes to my pain; most days I feel horrible. I just don't seem to have much energy.
  • roxymuller
    roxymuller Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have an under active thyroid and suffer from bones in my feet fracturing for no apparent reason that the drs can find. I also have issues with my back and recently found out that I have a thinning of a disc. I also have to lose 100 lbs and want to lose 50 of it by May. I would first try to lose the weight before going for surgery as losing the weight may help you enough to not have to have the surgery. I have only lost 7 lbs in the past 4 weeks but feel so much better. I have been able to exercise at all due to my feet issues. I really watch what i eat and I measure my food. I also cut down on sugar and sodium and carbs. I don't deprive myself but I really watch what I am eating. Good luck. feel free to add me as a friend. Roxy
  • LMHG2015
    LMHG2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Me too! Same boat. Herniated disk L5/S1 that is only deteriorating. Other discs that are heading that way also. Additionally have plantar fasciitis and osteoporosis (when I was 30!) multiple stress fractures in both feet. Am at least 60# overweight. Takes a toll on ya, doesn't it. Sometimes it's all I can do to get down on the floor and play w my kids and I feel constantly like I have no energy. At times, seems like a relentless cycle. That being said - would love to be friends w anyone else going thru similar chronic issues. I'm really not wanting to have back surgery. Need to get/stay motivated! Today my 1st day on MFP.
  • Walltumbler
    Walltumbler Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When I started loosing weight I was 320 lbs almost exactly 1 year ago (I'm 26 years old, 6 feet 2 in tall). I had lost 60 lbs and was feeling great then after a vigorous exercise session at the gym I went to bed and woke up with a bulging disc. This was so disheartening and painful that I lost all the momentum I had build up. I stopped loosing weight and I gained 20 lbs over the summer. Since the summer weight gain I have been unable to loose anything but the silver lining is that I have not gained anything. I have just recently decided to start again but this time I'm doing it with mild but chronic back pain. My end goal is to loose 62 pounds live a heart healthy lifestyle and strengthen my core to reduce back pain and prevent further damage. I know this is a huge lifestyle change and I have found that the best thing to do is to talk to my friends and family about it. I tell them equally about my failures as I do about my successes. In the end the only person accountable for my health is myself, and speaking about my progress helps me take control of my life and not let any pains, fears, and desires get in the way of my will. With G-d's help I will stay vigilant. That's my story hope it's helpful.