Weight loss little to none?

Options

Replies

• gregoriohhh
    gregoriohhh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    OK. stay consistent.. increase protein drop carbs lower each carb cal is equal to protein calories except 3 out of 4 calories are burned off while digesting protein making it more thermogenic..... bingo .. replenish carbs once a wk with a higher carb day..
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    OK. stay consistent.. increase protein drop carbs lower each carb cal is equal to protein calories except 3 out of 4 calories are burned off while digesting protein making it more thermogenic..... bingo .. replenish carbs once a wk with a higher carb day..

What?!? No.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

You dropped a decimal point or inverted a fraction somewhere along the line. The TEF of protein is around 25%, so roughly 1 out of every 4 calories is burned in the digestive process. The TEF of a mixed diet (protein, carbs, fats) is generally considered to be around 10% overall.
  • smurfbus
    smurfbus Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OP: Your body is telling you to stop starving!

If you really need to loose more then you need to take a high calorie day or two and start to cut a small deficit not huge. Huge deficit only makes your metabolism slow to preserve energy. The last kilos are always hard.

If you're forced to starvation mode (no food) then your body will ultimately start using only your own body for energy but anyone can tell that is not healthy or good for you. The end result can easily be "skinny fat" as you loose all your muscles. Your intestines will also pay for stupidity.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    smurfbus wrote: »
    OP: Your body is telling you to stop starving!

If you really need to loose more then you need to take a high calorie day or two and start to cut a small deficit not huge. Huge deficit only makes your metabolism slow to preserve energy. The last kilos are always hard.

If you're forced to starvation mode (no food) then your body will ultimately start using only your own body for energy but anyone can tell that is not healthy or good for you. The end result can easily be "skinny fat" as you loose all your muscles. Your intestines will also pay for stupidity.

No
  • smurfbus
    Options
    Good explanation, thank you.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    No I have a food scale for all of my foods, I don't over weigh my food either! I just wanted to see if anyone had the same problem as I have been having

There's the heart of the matter, though - ARE you having a problem? It's only been 3 weeks, and your starting weight is pretty low already, so the rate at which you can lose weight is going to be pretty slow.

How many days did you weigh in over those three weeks? You need solid data to be able to separate weight fluctuations from weight trends particularly when you're close to goal and moving slowly.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    I'm currently 125, and for the last few months of loss I never, ever, ever see any loss until shark week, at which point I usually get a whoosh. It's weeks of treading water, going a bit up at ovulation, still waiting and then finally, some movement.
  • khuynh14
    khuynh14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To me it looks like you're doing too much, too quick. It may have result in a slower metabolism and your body holding onto the fat at a lower caloric intake. I suggest doing a refeed once a week where you eat to your maintenance calories plus 200 calories with a 50% carb/30% protein /20% fat macro split. This should help rev up your metabolism to help fat loss/weight loss. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    khuynh14 wrote: »
    To me it looks like you're doing too much, too quick. It may have result in a slower metabolism and your body holding onto the fat at a lower caloric intake. I suggest doing a refeed once a week where you eat to your maintenance calories plus 200 calories with a 50% carb/30% protein /20% fat macro split. This should help rev up your metabolism to help fat loss/weight loss. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

no
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    This thread is making me cry
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    mmarie_3 wrote: »
    A)start lifting a little for optimal fat/calorie burn b) you're not eating enough if you are truly just eating 1200. Your body is just trying to hold on to its energy. I'm 124 and eat almost 1800. Granted I worked up to that but you need to fuel your body for it to give you what you want.

That must be why anorexics are so heavy then, what with their body holding onto all that energy because they aren't eating enough. Yeah, no.
  • smurfbus
    Options
    google 'starvation mode' or 'Metabolic Slowdown' , it's real.

http://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i think the in-vogue term is "adaptive thermogenesis" not starvation mode :)

but my understanding is that occurs over a period of months to years of very low calorie, not 3 weeks.

OP - stick with it another few weeks and see what happens. you can try substituting or adding interval training to 2-3 of your cardio days. also strength training to target big muscle groups, like legs and back, may be helpful to target higher caloric burn. if you're feeling too hungry, increase your calories by 100 and see what happens.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    This thread is making me cry

I agree. It's also pissing me off. Notice how the people giving out unhelpful advice have a single digit post count for the most part. It makes me wonder if any of them are trolls.
    • Authority Nutrition is such a quack site.
    • The OP is NOT in ~*starvation mode*~.
    • A few weeks is not a plateau, especially for women as your cycle can make you hold onto water weight during various times of the month. Also, if you're seeing loss at all, it's not a plateau!
    • High-carb, low fat; low-carb, high fat; peanut butter diet; new diet fad that people read about on the cover of a magazine or heard about on TV...none of it will "boost" your metabolism or induce weight loss. You know what does? A calorie deficit. That's it. Period. End of story.

All the OP needs to do is go back to the first page and look at the flowchart that was posted. That's the answer for OP and anyone else who is not getting the results they expect over time.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    OP said she started three weeks ago and isn't "losing much."

Patience. If you're losing something, you're doing it right. If you stop losing, you are eating more than you think. You are not in starvation mode. The chart posted on the first page is print-worthy.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    edited February 2016
    Options
    smurfbus wrote: »
    google 'starvation mode' or 'Metabolic Slowdown' , it's real a myth

Ftfy
  • ricolifee
    ricolifee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No I have a food scale for all of my foods, I don't over weigh my food either! I just wanted to see if anyone had the same problem as I have been having

I am 5'2 124lbs and was in similar position, I also was eating 1200-1300 cals a day, weighing my food etc and I didn't see much change.

I did some research and started doing 15 mins of HIIT sprints on the treadmill (interval training) instead of my usual steady sprint 4/5 times a week. After a couple of weeks I am starting to lose again. Also instead of eating 1300 religiously everyday I mixed it up a little bit to keep my body guessing, so I'd eat 1300 on average-some days more and some less.

Here's an example below ......

I don't have much to lose to my ideal weight but by doing this it has kickstarted my weight loss again. Hope this helps you.

nv70lwl42f15.jpeg

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    2xws71yo9u8m.jpg

This.

And running 6 times a week after only starting 3 weeks ago? Did I read that right?

I'd suggest trading 3 of those days for weight training and start alternating workouts before you get an overuse injury.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    2xws71yo9u8m.jpg

This.

And running 6 times a week after only starting 3 weeks ago? Did I read that right?

I'd suggest trading 3 of those days for weight training and start alternating workouts before you get an overuse injury.

end thread/