Lifting..

Options

Replies

• whitt125
    whitt125 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your kind message and for "friending" me, Veronica! Always nice to have another badass on my friends list!
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Lifting is life! Lol
  • junelove89
    junelove89 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    junelove89 wrote: »
    Do you guys prefer free weights or machines?

I only use free weights (barbells and dumbbells). I workout at home, so machines aren't an option for me. I also didn't really use them when I attended a gym because they aren't my cup of tea.

Has that given you any results? I want to start buying my own set of free weights to workout at home too and maybe ditch the gym. Can never go when it's not crowded and I hate having to change my routine because I can't get to the right machine.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

I only use free weights (barbells and dumbbells). I workout at home, so machines aren't an option for me. I also didn't really use them when I attended a gym because they aren't my cup of tea.

Has that given you any results? I want to start buying my own set of free weights to workout at home too and maybe ditch the gym. Can never go when it's not crowded and I hate having to change my routine because I can't get to the right machine.

Oh yeah! I do progressive overloading, so I'm always getting stronger and working on have more defined arms and legs. These pics are a few years apart, but they're a pretty good example. On the left, I was only running. I didn't lift weights. The right, I was doing free weights and running a little bit (because I enjoyed running). My legs are a bit smaller, a nicer butt, flatter stomach, and better defined shoulders (though you can't see them in the right picture).
    10qjg35.jpg
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    xcalygirl, I'm one as well :) On a side note, I'm building up routines in my home. Yes, I have the random "video" (try like 10, lol) but I'd rather use my own body with some free weights; add jogging as I can as I know it can help with slimming....

what is your routine? Do you workout daily, switching up muscle groups; do you use traditional activities, too, like squats, push ups, abs, and so on?

Thanks!!
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yep! 3 days a week. Just broke 100 on my squats yesterday! I know it's not much but huge improvement for me!!
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    wesheets wrote: »
    xcalygirl, I'm one as well :) On a side note, I'm building up routines in my home. Yes, I have the random "video" (try like 10, lol) but I'd rather use my own body with some free weights; add jogging as I can as I know it can help with slimming....

what is your routine? Do you workout daily, switching up muscle groups; do you use traditional activities, too, like squats, push ups, abs, and so on?

Thanks!!

It depends on what I'm training for @wesheets.

I started out with New Rules of Lifting for Women. After I got bored with that, I moved to Stronglifts 5x5. Can't recommend it enough! After about a year of that, my gym closed, so I took a bit of a hiatus doing mainly bodyweight stuff for about a month. Then I got my home gym set-up and started working with a remote trainer for a few months. We did a bit of strength stuff and a bit of hypertrophy stuff. Now, I'm working on a strength program. I put it together myself since I've learned a good bit about programming and what-not in the 2 years I've been lifting. I mainly focus on the three big lifts (squats, deadlifts, and bench press) while also doing accessory stuff (variations on bench, good mornings, hip thrusts, lunges, curls, shoulder and upper back stuff, etc.). I do push-ups and some bodyweight stuff (squat jumps, burpees, etc.).
  • junelove89
    Options

Oh yeah! I do progressive overloading, so I'm always getting stronger and working on have more defined arms and legs. These pics are a few years apart, but they're a pretty good example. On the left, I was only running. I didn't lift weights. The right, I was doing free weights and running a little bit (because I enjoyed running). My legs are a bit smaller, a nicer butt, flatter stomach, and better defined shoulders (though you can't see them in the right picture).
    10qjg35.jpg

Wow that's amazing. Great job. I definitely need to start focusing on weights more. I've always done cardio alone and never saw any results. How many times a week do you focus on weights?
  • xcalygrl
    Options

10qjg35.jpg

Wow that's amazing. Great job. I definitely need to start focusing on weights more. I've always done cardio alone and never saw any results. How many times a week do you focus on weights?

I lift 5 days a week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. That picture was taken when I was only lifting 3 days a week doing Stronglifts 5x5 though.
  • junelove89
    Options

10qjg35.jpg

I lift 5 days a week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. That picture was taken when I was only lifting 3 days a week doing Stronglifts 5x5 though.

Is that a workout program? Like a DVD?
    I recently bought and did 21 day fix extreme and that's where I was introduced to weights on every workout. This is where I noticed change. I dropped 5lbs in 5 days when I started the program. Very exciting
  • sashenka899
    sashenka899 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I strength train once a week (i do dance and figure skating other days), but i've been wanting to start lifting for awhile. Seems a little intimidating though :)
  • BenOsen3
    BenOsen3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    4 days per week and it is such a stress reliever. I am different than my friends because I love high reps.

Haven't lifted in a month due to tennis elbow and it is driving me nuts!

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Lifter here! Working on incorporating *some* cardio....but I get bummed because it takes time away from picking things up and then putting things down, lol.
  • junelove89
    Options
    I strength train once a week (i do dance and figure skating other days), but i've been wanting to start lifting for awhile. Seems a little intimidating though :)

I totally understand you. I go once a week to my gym to do strength training as well. I do it on Saturday mornings as soon as the gym opens so im one of the first people in there lol it feels so much better when there's nobody around you to see you mess up, but you should definitely do it. Try investing on some dumbells and start at home. That's what I did
  • DBL_IronDog
    DBL_IronDog Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I lift..... does that count for anything? :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I did strong lifts 5x5 (not a video a lifting program) and now that I stalled I started doing the Texas method. 3 days a week full body
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! I can't imagine not lifting, lol.
    I absolutely love what it does to shape my body as I lose weight. Not to mention improving my running. Would love more lifting pals, feel free to add me :smiley:

73529108.png
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I agree, I was totally intimidated to even walk into the weight room. It just takes practice and a plan. Now I just plug in my music and focus.
  • VeronicaSmith2019
    VeronicaSmith2019 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It was so intimidating to walk into a gym and try and figure out all the machines and what to do. I just want to get as fit as I can. Ugh..sumo squats..I must do them but they suck!!!
  • xcalygrl
    edited February 2016
    Options

10qjg35.jpg

Is that a workout program? Like a DVD?
    I recently bought and did 21 day fix extreme and that's where I was introduced to weights on every workout. This is where I noticed change. I dropped 5lbs in 5 days when I started the program. Very exciting

It's a lifting program. They don't have a DVD, but they do have an app for smartphones. This link will pretty much give you the program and the methodology behind it: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/