Chipotle (The Restaurant) Hot Salsa

Options
NA_Willie
NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
I need to learn how to make this at home because I absolutely cannot get enough of it and Im pretty sure they dont sell it by the vat at Chipotle. It says Tomatillo Hot Salsa on the menu board but I bought tomatillos and they are all green and the salsa is red so I dont know. I have scoured the internet and I cant find any recipe for it. I was wondering if any of you culinary artists have a recipe for it.

Replies

• SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, this salsa is more of a sauce consistency, correct? If thats the case (and I don't have a recipe), then they most likely used a couple tomatillos to give it a tart flavor, tomatoes, jalepenos, garlic onion, salt/pepper, and possibly red bell pepper. All of these items w/ skins would be broiled/roasted or basically have their skins blackened. Once the skins are blackened and cooled, remove the skins. (Note: if using any type of pepper, the pepper should have a flimsy consistency). Place all of the ingredients into either a blended or food processor... a blender would probably be better for a saucy consistency. Then pour all of the ingredients through a mesh strainer and squeeze all of the juice you can get out of it.... this will remove any chunkiness or grainess from the tomatoes and a few other items.

You may need to heat this up in a pot and let it reduce a bit if its too watery. I make a ton of different salsas all the time and I guess this is how I'd go about it. I'd use probably 2 tomatillos to 6 tomatoes and 1/2 to 1 whole red bell pepper to give it a darker look. Again, if I remember correctly, the sauce you're talking about is kinda dark, so there's a chance they don't remove the blackened skins, but they are taken out in the straining process. Anyways... hope this helps a little!
  • NA_Willie
    Options
    You are correct; the salsa does look saucey and it is not chunky like regular salsa that you think of. You have helped a bunch I just need to look up exactly how to do what you posted. (Lol) I am very new at making salsa and just made my first batch last night, I would love it if you would post some of your hotter (closest to Chipotle hot salsa) recipes.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options
    Sure... really the hotness is based on the peppers used, but I'll put a few together for ya. The only one I have saved is my Pico de Gallo recipe since I use it so often in my meals... but I'll get a few and post 'em. I'll add ya.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Here's one my fam makes all the time.

12 tomatillos, peeled and washed
    5 chile de arbol or japanese chiles (thin, long, dried red chiles)
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 tsp salt (may need more)

Put the tomatillos and chiles on a rimmed sheet pan and broil in the oven til soft and blackened (you'll need to turn them occasionally). When they're nice and soft put them all in the blender with garlic and salt. Whirl to your desired consistency. You may want to play with the chiles as they can be spicy and idk what your taste buds are used to
  • tammywho327
    tammywho327 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would add habanero's or other super HOT chili's for the spice/heat factor! I love the salsa too- the hotter the better!
  • NA_Willie
    Options
    5 chile de arbol
    Should I be able to find these at Meijer where I buy my tomatillos and jalapenos?

Im fairly certain that those are the peppers in the Chipotle salsa. Thank you for the recipe.
  • kateistoned
    kateistoned Posts: 116
    Options
    Dude, I am so addicted to their hot salsa as well :)
  • NA_Willie
    Options
    Dude, I am so addicted to their hot salsa as well :)
    I so agree. Best thing ever.
    You are a Princess.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Nah... just a fellow Chipotle junkie. I go there for their yummy salads after my Saturday morning training sessions and use their salsas instead of salad dressing. Yummmmmmm...
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    5 chile de arbol
    Should I be able to find these at Meijer where I buy my tomatillos and jalapenos?

Im fairly certain that those are the peppers in the Chipotle salsa. Thank you for the recipe.

I'm not sure what Meijer is. You can definitely find them at most grocery stores. Look in the hispanic section where they have all the spices in the little baggies. They should be there
  • Kimmerz1
    Kimmerz1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I need to learn how to make this at home because I absolutely cannot get enough of it and Im pretty sure they dont sell it by the vat at Chipotle. It says Tomatillo Hot Salsa on the menu board but I bought tomatillos and they are all green and the salsa is red so I dont know. I have scoured the internet and I cant find any recipe for it. I was wondering if any of you culinary artists have a recipe for it.

Here is the recipe

Chipotle and Tomatillo Salsa

1/2 pound Tomatillo, cut into strips
    2 teaspoons Chipotle chiles, finely chopped
    1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

In a medium bowl, combine Tomatillo, chiles, onion, cilantro, lemon juice, lemon zest, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate, at least 1 hour and better a day or two, to allow the flavors to mix.
  • NA_Willie
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Ill be making this tomorrow.
  • NA_Willie
    Options

Here is the recipe

Chipotle and Tomatillo Salsa

1/2 pound Tomatillo, cut into strips
    2 teaspoons Chipotle chiles, finely chopped
    1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

In a medium bowl, combine Tomatillo, chiles, onion, cilantro, lemon juice, lemon zest, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate, at least 1 hour and better a day or two, to allow the flavors to mix.
    This is good but definatly not the recipe. It came out all green and tasted nothing like the Chipotle hot salsa I crave. Thank you for this recipe though.

I was thinking maybe it was the recipe for the green salsa that Chipotle has but I know that has red onion in it.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options
    I do "mexican burrito" night once a week. I'll try to make a similar salsa and let you know how it comes out.
  • NA_Willie
    Options
    Please do that. I need this salsa in my life.
  • Nicole52501
    Options
    Whenever I go, I have them mix the green tomatillo and the hot (red) one!!!! OMG soooooo stinkin' delish!!!!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options
    OK, mexican fiesta night was tonight and I tried to duplicate the Chipotle salsa. The salsa is REALLY good, but i need to go grab some from chipotle tomorrow to see how close it is. Recipe forthcoming if i got it right. If I didn't, I will walk away in shame (but probably try again since I have so much of it... just tweak and tweak until its right).
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    this site has all the chipotle recipes.

http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=red_hot_salsa_recipe
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options

Some good notes in there that I'll mess around with. But the 2 main ones, I can gaurantee, aren't even close w/out including tomatillos.