To my brethren and sistren* converted from deep and woo

Options

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I smile and nod unless they are trying to push their woo on me. I had a friend selling a detox tea and I shut that down before she got a chance to convince me to buy it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I generally don't assume that people talking about health and fitness are looking for my input any more than I think parents talking about their kids are looking for parenting advice. If they actually want my opinion, they'll ask for it, but I don't go around telling people they are wrong or it's "woo" (I really dislike that term because I think people see it as a judgement about them as a person, so I don't use it).

I don't know someone else's whole story, so I'm not going to stick my nose in and pretend I know best, and when it comes to certain weight loss myths, there usually is some grain of actual fact in there, but usually not the proper reasoning. For example, don't eat after a certain time, people think that's because of metabolism or because their digestive systems stop when they sleep, when actually it's just another trick to get into a calorie deficit. Do I wish they understood the real reason? Sure. Is it really worth the battle if they choose to just stop eating at 9 pm because they think their digestive system clocks out at the end of the day? Nope, especially if it is helping them stick to their plan and improve their health. To me, that's more important than "being right."

Yes. And I too don't like the term "woo". Or "special snowflake". You can get your point across without insulting the person who believes differently than you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I try to keep my mouth shut, smile and nod, and extract myself quickly from the conversation... Then I vent to people on my FL!

Exactly.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I generally don't assume that people talking about health and fitness are looking for my input any more than I think parents talking about their kids are looking for parenting advice. If they actually want my opinion, they'll ask for it, but I don't go around telling people they are wrong or it's "woo" (I really dislike that term because I think people see it as a judgement about them as a person, so I don't use it).

I don't know someone else's whole story, so I'm not going to stick my nose in and pretend I know best, and when it comes to certain weight loss myths, there usually is some grain of actual fact in there, but usually not the proper reasoning. For example, don't eat after a certain time, people think that's because of metabolism or because their digestive systems stop when they sleep, when actually it's just another trick to get into a calorie deficit. Do I wish they understood the real reason? Sure. Is it really worth the battle if they choose to just stop eating at 9 pm because they think their digestive system clocks out at the end of the day? Nope, especially if it is helping them stick to their plan and improve their health. To me, that's more important than "being right."

I also really dislike that term, largely for the same reason. So, even if I were to say something, first of all I would not use that term.

Generally, since I spend most of my time around coworkers they're the ones I hear the misinformation from. Wouldn't really promote a good work environment to tell them they're wrong. I've seen some Herbalife stuff there. Several people add chia seeds to their drinks, and I'm not exactly sure how they think it aids weight loss, but I know that's why they're using it. (I'm not against chia seeds. I will eat chia seeds sometimes, but for their nutritional content.) I know one coworker knows about MFP, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't use it. I did overhear her talking about counting carbs some time back (but she still hasn't lost weight).

A lot of coworkers exercise during our lunch break and I know some of them think that's what's needed for weight loss. Any coworker I've ever heard talk about weight loss thinks you have to eat "well" all the time, or maybe just have one cheat day a week. That alone discourages some of them. Unfortunately, one woman in our office has lost a lot of weight, but she does it by eating little and "healthy" during the week and having a cheat day. (I say this based on what I have seen her eat and heard her say - oatmeal or green beans or banana for breakfast, salad with protein for lunch. Obviously I don't know what she eats at home. But that's what we all see and hear.) She also works out like a maniac. I mean, really. It's seems almost like an obsession. She lost the weight fairly quickly. I think what we perceive her to have done to lose weight supports misconceptions. So, I'm surrounded by lots of misinformation.

Because they're coworkers, and it's a small office, I wouldn't help myself by trying to correct them. Unfortunately, I'm also still a bit overweight and I'm very much in the camp of losing slowly for two reasons - preserving as much muscle as I can and being fueled enough to make progress with my workouts. So, if I were to try to correct them, I could easily see them dismissing what I have to say.

None of it's worth it, so I just say nothing.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Let_me_think_uhm_um_eh_ooh_yuck_dunno_weird_crazy_britney_huh_what_damn_creepy_icky_whoop_nah.gif

I usually make a cringe face involuntarily and say nothing unless someone asks me my opinion.

Unless of course the advice is dangerous. But generally i let them fail on their own.
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Were they at least organic tabaco cigarettes? ;) A lot of med students go in with funny ideas in their heads but they usually get straightened around, unfortunately not always and you end up with a Oz, Taubes or Mercola with chops. >.<

Luckily, in this case these aren't people studying to be doctors. I'm in a medical coding program, so no one will have contact with patients. But a lot of them have a medical background, so I guess I just assumed they would know better.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I try not to say anything... sometimes I just can't take it any more, especially when someone is pushing an MLM scheme product.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I try to keep my mouth shut, smile and nod, and extract myself quickly from the conversation... Then I vent to people on my FL!

The one exception I always make to that strategy above is when people bring up FoodBabe. Then I absolutely cannot keep my mouth shut.

Yes, there is a qualification to my keeping my mouth shut too. If a ridiculous person like Food Babe or Freelee or Gwyneth Paltrow is mentioned, all bets are off.

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A friend recently invited me to an essential oils party. I quietly texted her a scientific article about the woo and asked her to read it so she had the other perspective when she went. Essential oils smell good and that's about all I've every used them for. I don't quite believe in any healing properties they might have.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I believe the important questions to ask yourself are: is this person's woo belief likely to cause harm to them or others? If yes, do I know them well enough to try and change their beliefs? How likely is it that your providing other evidence will change their minds if they're invested in their beliefs (which is something I see in this forum a lot)?

If I think what they're pushing is dangerous to themselves or others (including me), I'll give them the facts but if it appears they're not going to budge I'll leave it at that. I've done my part. If it's not dangerous, I'll ignore it and walk away.

If someone tells me that a mixture of cayenne pepper, maple syrup and lemon juice has all the nutrition you need -- I'm going to call BS because it's a clear danger to her and others. If someone tells me that essential oils have healing properties, I'm going to tell her, that's nice, but don't stop going to the doctor.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My PIL (who I do really like for the record!) did a version of Paleo last year. They both lost some weight in the short term but have started to regain now as they miss bread etc too much. It was annoying as they wouldn't stop banging on about it and how amazing it was. There was a moment when my twins were about 7 months old and I was trying to feed them both their breakfast, whilst cook for everyone else, keep everything reasonably tidy and be a good host and my FIL kept telling me how easy it would be if I just switched to Paleo because then I could have veggie omelettes for breakfast. DO I LOOK LIKE I HAVE TIME TO COOK A MOFO OMELETTE AND HOW EXACTLY WOULD I CHOP OR COOK ANY OF THIS WHILST HOLDING ONE BABY AND FEEDING ANOTHER!!!!!

Ahem...it was really irritating though. I've lost 21lbs now with MFP and CICO and my MIL keeps saying that she could never lose that much weight...metabolism or some such. Sigh.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Great anecdotes!! Some really funny stories!

My apologies to anyone offended by the word woo. I look at is as just... A word. For me it describes weight loss theories proclaimed as the holy grail. I used to believe them. I used to fail. I thought my metabolism was "broken". Recognizing "woo" pulled me out of a disappointing cycle.

And please don't misunderstand my approach. There's no jumping in strangers convos or butting in personal dialogues. I'm talking about discussions one might be part of.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

My apologies to anyone offended by the word woo. I look at is as just... A word. For me it describes weight loss theories proclaimed as the holy grail. I used to believe them. I used to fail. I thought my metabolism was "broken". Recognizing "woo" pulled me out of a disappointing cycle.

And please don't misunderstand my approach. There's no jumping in strangers convos or butting in personal dialogues. I'm talking about discussions one might be part of.

No need to apologize. Woo is woo. There's no insult intended towards the person for calling out bad information for what it is.

In MY opinion, if someone is insulted that blatantly false information (nutrition/fitness related or otherwise) is called out as such, then perhaps he or she should look more deeply as to why that effects them so personally.

As to the OP - depends on the person. If it's a close friend of mine, I'll probably engage in a discussion with them. I'd consider most of my close friends pretty level headed people and they tend to be people that you can at least have an honest discussion about 'controversial' topics with.

For mere acquaintances, I don't even approach the subject. People ask me all the time how I changed my body, and I just basically say "diet and exercise." Any attempt to get into details beyond that, and I either (politely) end the conversation or change the subject.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

No need to apologize. Woo is woo. There's no insult intended towards the person for calling out bad information for what it is.

In MY opinion, if someone is insulted that blatantly false information (nutrition/fitness related or otherwise) is called out as such, then perhaps he or she should look more deeply as to why that effects them so personally.

Today I shall be mainly following you around and agreeing with what you say
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First time I listen to their "woo". Second time I walk away as soon as they start their "woo". That's when they get the message. Thus there never is a 3rd time. ;)

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Today I shall be mainly following you around and agreeing with what you say

I've always wanted a pet rabbit :)
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    At work I definitely smile and nod. It is entirely up to them if they want to spend $2/per shake or bar.

I couldn't help myself with my best friend though. When she mentioned she was going to use Raspberry Ketones I burst out laughing. She didn't waste the money and got to her goal weight with weight watchers (which is basically CICO with a monthly fee)
  • EbonyGlitter
    EbonyGlitter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't help but be an *kitten*. It's in my genetic makeup lol.

I question - from a place of polite curiosity - all claims and counter with actual science. I always leave it up to them to put the pieces together, though. Unless it's someone close to me, then I call BS like I see it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jmgj27 wrote: »
    My PIL (who I do really like for the record!) did a version of Paleo last year. They both lost some weight in the short term but have started to regain now as they miss bread etc too much. It was annoying as they wouldn't stop banging on about it and how amazing it was. There was a moment when my twins were about 7 months old and I was trying to feed them both their breakfast, whilst cook for everyone else, keep everything reasonably tidy and be a good host and my FIL kept telling me how easy it would be if I just switched to Paleo because then I could have veggie omelettes for breakfast. DO I LOOK LIKE I HAVE TIME TO COOK A MOFO OMELETTE AND HOW EXACTLY WOULD I CHOP OR COOK ANY OF THIS WHILST HOLDING ONE BABY AND FEEDING ANOTHER!!!!!

Ahem...it was really irritating though. I've lost 21lbs now with MFP and CICO and my MIL keeps saying that she could never lose that much weight...metabolism or some such. Sigh.

Tell me how you really feel. :flowerforyou:

But congrats on your success so far. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Also just to add "woo" and "derp" are describing the concept not the person who uses them

Similar to child development one describes the action and not the child ..how can that be offensive?

Woo and derp are adjectives that cannot be ascribed to people. One wouldn't say "you are woo" or "you are so derp" so taking offence at the use of the word as a concept descriptor is in my opinion grammatically and actually inappropriate