Lost weight and now it's coming back

I've been working out for a little over a month now. I have a great and consistent workout schedule and have completely altered my eating habits. I lost 20 pounds and have been so excited. But when I weighed myself today I noticed I've gained over 3 pounds. Does anyone know why? I haven't cheated on my diet and I don't eat after 8pm.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Where are you at in your cycle? Many women find they temporarily gain weight when they ovulate or right before their period.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Where are you at in your cycle? Many women find they temporarily gain weight when they ovulate or right before their period.
    This
    Or, did you eat sushi or other foods with soy sauce?
    Did you have a super high carb meal?

If you're being "true" to your diet, it's likely water weight.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    I second what @janejellyroll said. It's probably water weight. Could be your cycle, could be water retention for muscle repair since you've been working out. It's probably nothing to worry about. i gain about 5 lbs over TOM and have been known to gain more than that in water. Drinking enough water will sometimes help counteract this, but really it's totally normal.

tlcnlg6bx31q.jpg
  • cmadams07
    cmadams07 Posts: 2 Member
    Ooooohhhhh that makes sense, I'm ovulating. Thank you for helping clear this up.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    How often do you weight yourself? I weigh myself daily because it shows that weight loss it's not linear. Sometimes it goes up, sometimes down. But overall the trend is clearly going down. It's easy to find two points on the graph that would have frustrated me if I would have taken them out of context.

Looking back plateaus and short timed weight gains were usually either water retention or fat being replaced by muscle (weight not going down, but fat% going down).

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I second what @janejellyroll said. It's probably water weight. Could be your cycle, could be water retention for muscle repair since you've been working out. It's probably nothing to worry about. i gain about 5 lbs over TOM and have been known to gain more than that in water. Drinking enough water will sometimes help counteract this, but really it's totally normal.

tlcnlg6bx31q.jpg

I love your new profile picture!
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Also, since you've lost 20 pounds, you may need to adjust your calorie intake to continue losing weight? I've never lost enough weight to have to worry about this, but I've seen on other threads that once you've lost weight, you need to make sure you put that new weight in your settings so that your target recalculates to reflect your new weight!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    cmadams07 wrote: »
    Ooooohhhhh that makes sense, I'm ovulating. Thank you for helping clear this up.

I "gained" 2-4Lbs every month at ovulation.