Walk Away The Pounds... Your thoughts

Options
2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've done them before and I like them. It's a good option, especially for the times when getting out for a walk is not possible.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I mute Leslie and put on my own music. I have to pay more attention that way, but when I'm doing the videos frequently I get bored and need some new background noise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you all are talking about but walking is my usual exercise. I put on my shoes, go out the door and walk. No DVD necessary. :)

This isn't better or worse than walking outside. It's just another option.

A DVD isn't technically necessary, plenty of free stuff on YouTube too. The DVDs just give you more options.

This is great when there's 3 feet of snow on the ground and the plows haven't quite cleared the road. It's great when it's -10° F. It's great if the only time you have to walk is when it's dark outside and you don't really feel secure about doing it. This is great if you like a variety of moves (knee lifts, kicks, side steps, etc.) but dislike choreography.

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, the walking series are awesome. Walking is a great form of exercise, most people know that. Some people will say its not, but its whatever rocks a person's boat, and moving is moving regardless of what type of exercise you do. I have three of her DVDs. I use them when its 100 degrees outside and when there is ice on the ground as well as when its perfect outside because they are enjoyable.
  • bonneboo
    Options
    There is a men's version which I got for DH. he liked it very much and used it 2 or 3 times. And that's all ....

My grandson had to lose 25 pounds before he left to basic training, he had no choice. I started cooking for him and had him do Leslie. I played his music and had him watch her. He used light hand weights. He complained a few times that he was over exerted! He was right on the mark when he reported to the office.
  • bonneboo
    Options
    N2java wrote: »
    Just did the first one mile video. Seems very simply.

I forgot to say, it helped me lose 28 pounds. I stayed at one weight for a year by maintaining, started doing Leslie on the same calories and lost 28, so Leslie can put you in a deficit. Enjoy
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you all are talking about but walking is my usual exercise. I put on my shoes, go out the door and walk. No DVD necessary. :)

A DVD isn't technically necessary, plenty of free stuff on YouTube too. The DVDs just give you more options.

This is great when there's 3 feet of snow on the ground and the plows haven't quite cleared the road. It's great when it's -10° F. It's great if the only time you have to walk is when it's dark outside and you don't really feel secure about doing it. This is great if you like a variety of moves (knee lifts, kicks, side steps, etc.) but dislike choreography.

Also for moms with kids asleep they can't just leave (or take), or beginners who are self-conscious doing any exercise in public, for whatever reason.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Also for moms with kids asleep they can't just leave (or take), or beginners who are self-conscious doing any exercise in public, for whatever reason.

Yep - these too
  • N2java
    N2java Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! I am just starting out so a good start for me
  • hagnew0
    hagnew0 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I just ordered a dvd set. Seems perfect for me to get back into moving.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge Leslie Sansone fan. I do her workouts with ankle weights, dumb bells, resistance bands, wrist weights. I jump, jog, do lunges, squats, floor (mat) exercises, strength training - honestly it is all encompassing exercise for me and great calorie burns. I keep collecting DVDs and switch them up so that I'm not bored.

I even like her perky chatter - it's comforting & motivating.

May not be for everyone but she's a solid winner for me.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I'm a huge Leslie Sansone fan. I do her workouts with ankle weights, dumb bells, resistance bands, wrist weights. I jump, jog, do lunges, squats, floor (mat) exercises, strength training - honestly it is all encompassing exercise for me and great calorie burns. I keep collecting DVDs and switch them up so that I'm not bored.

I even like her perky chatter - it's comforting & motivating.

May not be for everyone but she's a solid winner for me.

A weighted vest might be a better option, it would be safer than wrist or ankle weights. A vest provides a more even distribution of weight.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/387945-why-are-ankle-weights-bad/

I like doing Leslie workouts on a rebounder. I can up the intensity but still keep everything low impact. I keep strength training days separate. I like Kelly Coffey Meyer.

• zestyzesty
    zestyzesty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    N2java wrote: »
    Just did the first one mile video. Seems very simply.

Walking is definitely a great place to start. I would recommend some good quality (don't have to be expensive) trainers or walking boots if you're walking in the countryside. You can challenge yourself by walking on hills (even on a treadmill you can do this), walking further and faster as you get stronger and healthier. Walking is good exercise generally but it also strengthens the bones and can prevent fractures such as hip fractures later on in life. Good luck and well done for taking your first steps! :-)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    @TeaBea thank you so much for this information. I had no idea. Reading up on it now. Appreciate it!!