Hula hooping

Options
Does anyone know about how many calories hula hooping burns? I couldn't find it under the activities. Thanks.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Livestrong.com says approximately 7 calories per minute.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    There is an entry under the Wii activities that will give you an estimate. Search for only the three letters "wii" to bring up a list of pre-loaded activities.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here's a link to the group........but I would ignore the 100 calories for 10 minutes comment

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/2763-hooping

CyberTone - Wii! Of course. Why didn't I think of that? Thank you.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and a weighted hoop - FWIW, now that I'm used to hooping, I can't get my heart rate much above what it would be with a brisk walk, but it's still something to do while watching TV.

According to the Livestrong site, the 7 cal/min estimate is based on a American Council on Exercise study, and isn't as high as walking, biking or swimming, but like they say, the best exercise is the one you'll do!
  • enm29
    enm29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what kind of activity you are doing with your hula hoop. Personally, I like using a 5/8, 30" OD polypro hoop, so it's very light weight, but very fast. I'm considering wearing a friend's fitbit to test it out some time during a flow session.
    Does anybody know where the 7cal/min estimate came from and what type of hula hooping they are using that for?