Over 200Lbs to Lose. Support Needed for my long journey.

Options
I am currently am around 520Lbs. I am 5'11" and have not had any major health issues. I have tried and failed several times. I would lose the weight and then inevitably gain it back plus some. This has been a pattern most of my life. I have decided that I want to take my life back. I have a very loving husband how supports me 100%. I know that he would do anything for me, but there are times that he can not relate to what I am going through.

I need support very badly because l know that this is a long tough journey and it is starting with one step at time. And I want to do this for me. I want to live a healthy life and I want to have a very long life with my husband. So any support or advise (positive only) that can be offered. I am all ears.

Replies

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5'5" and 320 lbs so i have just under 200 pounds to lose (already lost around 10 pounds). You can add me if you want :)

Only advice I can give is to maybe not go from eating 4000 calories (or however much you are currently eating) to like 1600 calories. It's a big shock. Try lowering calories slowly. Eat about 3500 calories every week until you're used to it. Then eat like 3300. Repeat.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    And, as I would imagine, exercise is probably pretty hard at your size, so in my opinion, I wouldn't exercise regularly until you've lost more weight. You can, of course, do non high impact exercises like walking or swimming, but don't push yourself.
  • jessicarehll
    jessicarehll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with not dropping calories dramatically, it only sets you up for falure. Calculate your daily calories, and take away 500 of them each week until you get to your deficit.
  • jeanallison
    jeanallison Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look into the Beck diet solution (books). They use cognitive behavior therapy (the diet you choose is up to you) with the thought that it's really your behavior that makes you overweight or normal. They work you through a series of activities to change how you view and use food and exercise. Add me if you like, I'm working through the workbook now.
  • nlkratzner
    nlkratzner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I used the goal calculator on here. I put in that I would like to lose 2lbs a week. I figure that it would calculate the correct calories that I should be eating to help and not set me up for failure. I have started a 10 minute no impact chair aerobics. God love my husband. He does it with me to show support. I figured starting out small was the best approach, and gradually working up to more. Baby Steps Right!!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    nlkratzner wrote: »
    I am currently am around 520Lbs. I am 5'11" and have not had any major health issues. I have tried and failed several times. I would lose the weight and then inevitably gain it back plus some. This has been a pattern most of my life. I have decided that I want to take my life back. I have a very loving husband how supports me 100%. I know that he would do anything for me, but there are times that he can not relate to what I am going through.

I need support very badly because l know that this is a long tough journey and it is starting with one step at time. And I want to do this for me. I want to live a healthy life and I want to have a very long life with my husband. So any support or advise (positive only) that can be offered. I am all ears.

Make simple changes, and have your hubby do them with you.
    Start with a 10min walk for a week, after dinner, rain or shine.
  • DaisyKate35
    DaisyKate35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just came across this post... We are about the same size. Though, health wise... I'm not all that "healthy" but I keep trying to get this weight off. If you need a new friend to help support you... Just add me! We can talk and cheer each other one.
  • DaisyKate35
    DaisyKate35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5'5" and 320 lbs so i have just under 200 pounds to lose (already lost around 10 pounds). You can add me if you want :)

Only advice I can give is to maybe not go from eating 4000 calories (or however much you are currently eating) to like 1600 calories. It's a big shock. Try lowering calories slowly. Eat about 3500 calories every week until you're used to it. Then eat like 3300. Repeat.

I love this advice... Thank you! :):D:D
  • Zari_Safari
    Zari_Safari Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for putting your health in priority. I know that it's not an easy decision to make, nor is it an easy journey. I definitely agree with all of the advice about gradually decreasing your caloric intake. If you want to add me for additional motivation and support, feel free! :)
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    nlkratzner wrote: »
    Thanks. I used the goal calculator on here. I put in that I would like to lose 2lbs a week. I figure that it would calculate the correct calories that I should be eating to help and not set me up for failure. I have started a 10 minute no impact chair aerobics. God love my husband. He does it with me to show support. I figured starting out small was the best approach, and gradually working up to more. Baby Steps Right!!

I love chair aerobics. Honestly I sweat just as much. I do these cute little trainers, like Chalene, in the chair and it goes beautifully. More power to you Queen.
  • AnnaSlimsDown
    AnnaSlimsDown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started a week ago at 320, so would love friends "in the same boat." Will be sending friend requests. To the original poster-- I've found that it helps me a lot mentally to know that I can eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my calories. I think it will make it much easier to stick with it. I have chocolate and cookies daily, in moderate amounts. What starts to happen is that you begin to think of certain foods as being "too expensive" calorie wise, so you either choose freely to avoid them, or you just eat a little bit of them. No need to deprive yourself, though!
  • nlkratzner
    Options
    I do Kendra Kimerlys chair aerobics on xfinity fitness channel. But I am open to any other no to low impact workouts. I am starting with just 10 minutes a day. Then I am going to start going back to the gym I have a membership at and walking on the treadmill once I build up stamina
  • aubreytoe
    aubreytoe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You have the right mindset going. One step at a time, one decision at a time. You can do this!

I agree with the other posters here, gradually work your way down on the calories and up on the movement and you will find success! Good luck!

I keep my diary open for everyone to see the good, the bad, and the ugly. Add me if you want!
  • d2othev
    d2othev Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love your honesty! I started at 305lbs and am at 288 right now. It seems like I have been gaining and losing the same 30lbs over and over :(

I re - started my diet today! We can do this!
  • nlkratzner
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I really love that there are people out there that truly do care and want to help and see other succeed.
  • hotcoffee692
    hotcoffee692 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want a friend who's on here at least once a day!
  • jdburton
    jdburton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!!! Little steps will make a big impact in the long run. That's the most important, long term health.
  • nlkratzner
    Options
    Thanks. I welcome all the friend and support. I just keep repeating baby steps baby steps.
  • nlkratzner
    Options
    Well 1 week in and doing good. Thanks all of you for the sjpport. I teams a lot to me.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I started at 347 .. At 327 I joined MFP and I'm about to hit 70 pounds gone. Could use a few more friends too.