Recycling Too Big Clothes, Underwear, Bras!

savvystephy
savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
edited September 28 in Motivation and Support
I wasn't sure where to post this, but just because you're losing weight - doesn't mean you should be bad to the environment!

I went through my underwear drawer this weekend and decided it was time to get rid of the too big undies. A lot of the were cute, but the last straw was when a pair was falling down when I was wearing a dress all day yesterday, so I figured it would be time to recycle them!

I found this website: http://www.mac-recycling.com/
They recycle old clothes and help charities. You can find locations at Earth911.com or email them with your zip code.

Also, women!, recycle your bras to a good charity. I have been doing this since I started reducing my bra size.
Mail them to the bra recyclers: http://brarecycling.com/
They give the bras to women who need them and can't afford them.

Of course, don't forget your local salvation army's, good wills, thrift stores, and other clothing donation groups!

Replies

• yes! this is very important! It really annoys me when people throw away perfectly good items. My boss has recently lost weight and told me he threw loads of clothes away (as well as household appliances). WHAT A WASTE! Needless to say, I had a go at him!
    Recycling and helping others will make you feel good - the more you lose weight, the more clothes have to go, the more you're helping the needy!

Another good idea is to try and sell on the better quality stuff on sites like ebay - it's a good incentive too! You can change the lbs lost for £££s in your account!

x
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 583 Member
    I have a bag of clothes to bring to Plato's Closet and if they accept them, I can earn store credit towards name brand used items that are really cheap! For example, a pair of Abercrombie skinny jeans are only ten dollars! Whatever they don't accept (they can be picky as the usually take recent fashions) I will be taking to the Goodwill trucks. My old roommate used to dumpster dive when colleges in the area moved out because of how wasteful they were! Between the bags of clothes and other items she found, we ended up with new clothes, a GPS system, and an iPod. It's unbelievable the things people throw out!
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    and don't forget about the Freecycle network! awesome :)

http://www.uk.freecycle.org/
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Thank you for your information. Where I live there is no place for the unwanted clothing. No 2nd hand stores accessible and would have to drive probably 100 miles or close to it to find one. So I truly appreciate your posting. :flowerforyou:
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    I made £300 from old clothes on eBay last summer! Doing it again this year :bigsmile:
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Great idea...but I'm not so sure about used underwear! *Insert 'green' joke here* :laugh:
  • Rickh123456
    Rickh123456 Posts: 12 Member
    All the items that are given away to charity are deductible. Many "tax software in a box" includes links or downloads to permit fair evaluation of the items. If you have a lot to give away, don't miss out on the opportunity to save some money. You can google "Its Deductible" for a link to one of the programs.

(This is for US users. I posted it when I saw the post about the boss who threw the stuff away, but realized the rules are probably different in the UK )
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Great idea...but I'm not so sure about used underwear! *Insert 'green' joke here* :laugh:

The first group recycles the underwear into rags and sells them - so they are not getting reused as underwear :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.