One time weight loss success story.....giving it another go!

Hi everyone!! I'll make my story short and sweet. In 2004 I set out on a weight loss journey. It was a simple one.....eat healthier and exercise. I didn't join any programs or hire a personal trainer, I just did it on my own because I knew I had to.....for my own good. I was always the chubby kid and finally decided to take control and lose the title. It worked fabulously!! I went from a size 18 to a 3/4 in about a year and was in the best shape of my life!! Well, that was then....this is now. I've since gained much of my weight back (not all of it, but much of it). I guess I thought that since I was skinny, I could start eating whatever I wanted again, not paying attention to labels and/or calories. Boy was I wrong!! The pounds slowly came back and it was just yesterday evening when something happend that made me realize (once again) that I needed to take control and bring back that slim, fit, sexy woman I was about a year and a half ago. I have an 11 yr old daughter who, like me, battles with her weight. While shopping for a new outfit for school picture day last night, she broke down and told me she was tired of "being big". Nothing she liked was fitting and it became a very stressful outing for both of us. We came home, had a long talk and made a promise to each other. We promised that we would be each other's support person and we'd start eating healthy & exercising together. She knows it can be done....she watched me do it once already. She and I are both very excited about our plan and hope to be much thinner, healthier individuals come Summer 2008.

Replies

• Hi everyone!! I'll make my story short and sweet. In 2004 I set out on a weight loss journey. It was a simple one.....eat healthier and exercise. I didn't join any programs or hire a personal trainer, I just did it on my own because I knew I had to.....for my own good. I was always the chubby kid and finally decided to take control and lose the title. It worked fabulously!! I went from a size 18 to a 3/4 in about a year and was in the best shape of my life!! Well, that was then....this is now. I've since gained much of my weight back (not all of it, but much of it). I guess I thought that since I was skinny, I could start eating whatever I wanted again, not paying attention to labels and/or calories. Boy was I wrong!! The pounds slowly came back and it was just yesterday evening when something happend that made me realize (once again) that I needed to take control and bring back that slim, fit, sexy woman I was about a year and a half ago. I have an 11 yr old daughter who, like me, battles with her weight. While shopping for a new outfit for school picture day last night, she broke down and told me she was tired of "being big". Nothing she liked was fitting and it became a very stressful outing for both of us. We came home, had a long talk and made a promise to each other. We promised that we would be each other's support person and we'd start eating healthy & exercising together. She knows it can be done....she watched me do it once already. She and I are both very excited about our plan and hope to be much thinner, healthier individuals come Summer 2008.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I applaud you for all of your success and your truthfulness with your daughter. I have a 15 year old and often she talks about weight. It is so important to help them understand the difference between healthy and sickly thin. All my best wishes go out for yours and daughters success.

Eve
  • fitness4k
    fitness4k Posts: 11 Member
    Kudos to you for being such a supportive mother. It is wonderful that you and your daughter have committed to a healthier lifestyle together. The weight loss journey can be fun with the help of a loved one, especially when you are creative. Best wishes to you both.