Family Dinner Help

Options
Hi Everyone,

I find that I'm running into a problem, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

Last night, my sister came in and we had a "family dinner" -- which is usually about 3 hours long and an eating and laughing fest. they're great, they truly are, and I'm very lucky to have a wonderful family so such dinners are not torture. The problem is the food.

It's not that we're not eating healthy meals. Often my father makes a huge stir fry, roasted veggies, and rice. Last night we got raw dough and made "Make your own pizza". So it's not awful food -- but the problem for me is portion control and the fact that I'm physically AT the table for hours so I often keep picking at things and end up eating much more than I wanted to.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips?

In the past I've tried to make a side salad, concentrate on drinking more water and eating slowly, and even working out like crazy before to compensate for the larger calorie intake. Should I just keep doing what I've doing, and be more diligent?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Replies

• jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have definitely experienced this! As long as you're watching what you're eating during that time, you'll be fine. My problem is that I don't trust myself so I bring my own food (mainly because I know exactly what is in it and it's portioned so I can just eat all of it), but also, I don't need to be eating things like macaroni and cheese, spare ribs, hamburgers, cake, etc.

I will say I'm pretty sure it might offend some of my family members because I'm not eating what they made, but I feel more comfortable eating my own food at family dinners (at least when they randomly spring up. Christmas and thanksgiving I just plan it out ahead of time).

hope that helps!
  • cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If it is not interfering with your weight loss, I don't think an occasional splurge will hurt, but piling my plate with salad has helped me deal with a situation like that... and I don't know if you are a gum chewer, but I have relied heavily on chewing gum to satisfy my craving for taste when there is always food around and I don't want to eat it. I chew Trident sugarless fruit flavored gum ...the orange packet because the flavor seems to last a long time and I love it! Maybe this will help a little?
  • infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You've already found the source of the problem with these events---staying at the table for too long and "nibbling."

How often do these "family dinners" happen? Weekly? If so, you might consider clearing your place setting when you have finished eating all you "should" eat, and then just sit there and talk/laugh with the rest of 'em. It might also encourage other people to begin clearing the table, and perhaps the whole lot will eventually move to the living room, or somewhere you're not tempted to continue to eat.

Just a thought.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'll put food on my plate and 'nibble' on that instead of everything at the table. If family night is at my house I put out big bowls of raw broccoli, carrots, peppers, any veggie I can think of. That way if I'm nibbling, I'm nibbling good food. I'll also bring veggies to the party.
  • ajfranzen77
    ajfranzen77 Posts: 118
    Options
    I think, cause I'm not a doctor, that if you try to eat more of the veggies and less meat in the stir fry that will help. Also ask for brown rice over white or bring your own. I love pizza!!!!!!! So if you are doing a make your own pizza get a large soft taco shell and use that as your crust and use about a cup of cheese. I use tomato paste and do not count it on my calorie intake because I don't use enough of it. So for that cheese pizza it's about 500 cal, high yes but if I know that is what I'm having for dinner I usually have soup for lunch or a meal bar. Just cut the pizza into tiny strips and it will take you longer to eat it if you are talking and having a good time. I find small bites help and over chewing helps too!

Good Luck!
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone! I'll definitely be trying your suggestions!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The salad and water is a good idea. Try also getting some raw veg and fresh fruit and nibble. It sounds like you have developed a workable plan. If this isn't throwing your weight loss off kilter, stick with it.