What is your biggest food obstacle?

Options
Hey everybody!

I'm really excited to join the forum on MFP. I've always struggled with eating healthy because I've never really liked the taste of vegetables. My big thing is sauces, dressings and dips. I'm in the process of learning substitutions and how to make healthier versions of these types of condiments.

My question for everyone: What is the biggest obstacle or challenge you face when it comes to food/diet?

Lets discuss :smile:

Replies

• ReginaFit160
    ReginaFit160 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My biggest obstacle is the night time when it comes to my diet ..I also have stronger urges to eat bad at night .like fatty foods are my night cap lol
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Staying away from the bakery section of the grocery store; eating enough fiber on 1200-1300 calories while also trying to eat enough protein... and not eating legumes every meal.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Alcohol - I can easily have ~600 calories of booze a night and it's not so much those calories but the fact that I then have no self-control when it comes to snacking that tends to be my downfall. I've had to cut back to only drinking on the weekends, which has been helpful.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Low sodium options.
  • rachpie90
    rachpie90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Crisps. I miss and crave crisps (chips in the US!) sososo much when I'm trying to eat healthy.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    1) Portion Control. I really had no idea how much I was really eating until I started weighing.
    2) "Grazing." No idea how much I was really eating (in small, continuous amounts) until I started logging.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hormones. It's not hard for me to keep a deficit, even after 3 years, but those 10 days a month totally mess me up because I get crazy hungry.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Eating out on weekends. I really cut down on my weekday fast food stops but during the weekend we tend to eat out more than we should.
  • DStroyNKonker
    DStroyNKonker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sugar. I'm a recovering sugar addict. For real. My coworkers keep swedish berries and chocolate out and visible in the office. It's a constant battle trying to convince myself not to devour the whole jar.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Good wine. I can drink a bottle without even noticing
  • aimeelee76
    aimeelee76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Brownies and cake!!! I have a very hard time passing on them.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    peanut butter cups.

mmmmmmmm peanut butter cups.

right now, the candybar in my purse that i got for my best friend when i see him saturday (its from trader joes and he rarely goes and i happened to be there so grabbed one). BUT i also keep thinking ... he doesn't know i have it. i could eat it and he'd never know......

probably not.id tell him and rub it in. LOLOL
  • drevaquera
    drevaquera Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    potato Chips and sour cream dips are my biggest weakness.

Also it is hard when my hubby makes dinner and I am not sure what he is making. If it is something not as healthy, I eat less and he wonders if I like it. He knows I am trying, so lately he's been trying to use more veggies.
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you on vegetables. Ugh. However, sugar is my biggest craving. Would love to know some of your sauces/dips to get those veggies down!
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Cheeze it's! Once I open the box I am in trouble. Any sweets or chips that co workers bring are hard to say no to. I don't buy them on my own.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    Free food at work. I'm pretty darned good at portion control and not eating everything in my eyesight at home but, someone offer me a taste of something at work or have a goody basket or a client bring homemade foodand I'm all over it like it's the last goody basket or enchilada on earth.

I do my best to log it but I lose track if it's something nuts or popcorn that I can just take handfuls of.
  • bluesky1516
    bluesky1516 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AvonLucyR wrote: »
    I'm right there with you on vegetables. Ugh. However, sugar is my biggest craving. Would love to know some of your sauces/dips to get those veggies down!

I'm still working on finding more alternatives but one that i'm really liking right now is a greek yogurt based caesar dressing/dip. Its not super low cal because it still has parm cheese and olive oil in it but using greek yogurt rather than cream makes a big difference.

I use:
    1/2 c fat free greek yogurt
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 clove of crushed garlic (or garlic powder to taste)
    Salt/pepper to taste
    Squeeze in a little lemon juice (to taste, i use a couple spoonfuls)

Mix these ingredients together and then stir in 1/4 cup of grated parm.

Its not 100% the same of course but it certainly satisfied the craving for caesar salad for me. Works great as a dip too.

I'm working on my own recipe book of little substitutions for dressings, dips and sauces as they are definitely my own weakness. I've noticed most of the replies mention sweets... probably my second worst weakness lol. Maybe i should be working on those too.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggle is because I was Michelangelo in my former life.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good wine. I can drink a bottle without even noticing

This. Especially hard when someone else is refilling your glass, then I am not even sure how to track!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Probably eating out when I'm not planning to. Even if we're eating out on a random Tuesday because kids have a school event, I have a hard time not thinking of it as a celebratory feast. I finally learned that the reason it's SO much easier for me to stay within my calorie goals if I eat at home is because I can get so much more volume with a meal I make at home. For the same calories eating out, I can have a lot more food at home, and yes, vegetables are the best way to do that! Some people don't need that much volume to feel satisfied and not hungry an hour later, but I guess I do.