Coffee???

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have enormous amounts of coffee with cream and sweetener every day. It affects my goals in the same way that cheese or broccoli or chicken or cake or pretzels or Coca-Cola or steak or Sunny D or purple drank or popcorn or bagels... If I work it into my calorie and macro/micro goals, I stay in track.

I lost it at purple drank.

Never stop being awesome.
  • tbirk
    tbirk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How badly it's effecting your goals is up to you! Can you stay within your goal and enjoy coffee with all the fixins? Log, log, log! Always add the coffee to your journal and be honest in your food diary. It's a tool to help you adjust your diet. Trial and error is the only way to find out.

Personally, I have lowfat milk and no sugar with my coffee or espresso. My Starbucks go-to drink is a tall nonfat latte. It's about 100 calories. Most Starbucks drinks are in the MFP database. A lot of the sugary drinks are calorie bombs, so should be considered treats to enjoy only occasionally and in modest proportions (tall instead of Venti). Black coffee has no calories, but I understand that not everyone enjoys it straight up like that. Tea is another great caffeinated alternative that comes in a variety of flavors for 0 calories.

Best of luck with your weightloss journey!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tbirk wrote: »
    How badly it's effecting your goals is up to you! Can you stay within your goal and enjoy coffee with all the fixins? Log, log, log! Always add the coffee to your journal and be honest in your food diary. It's a tool to help you adjust your diet. Trial and error is the only way to find out.

Personally, I have lowfat milk and no sugar with my coffee or espresso. My Starbucks go-to drink is a tall nonfat latte. It's about 100 calories. Most Starbucks drinks are in the MFP database. A lot of the sugary drinks are calorie bombs, so should be considered treats to enjoy only occasionally and in modest proportions (tall instead of Venti). Black coffee has no calories, but I understand that not everyone enjoys it straight up like that. Tea is another great caffeinated alternative that comes in a variety of flavors for 0 calories.

Coffee has calories. Very, very few (which is why some people don't even log it if they drink it black), but it has some.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited February 2016
    Options

Coffee has calories. Very, very few (which is why some people don't even log it if they drink it black), but it has some.

I log 32 oz of coffee in the morning and 32 in the afternoon, though I drink closer to 20 oz.

According to my entry (coffee, brewed from grounds), 32 oz of coffee has 9 calories. So I'm logging 18 calories a day for coffee. Not really enough to log, IMO, since it won't really effect my deficit. But I do log it because I hate to look at my diary and see that it looks like I just drank 15 ml of coffee creamer.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I log 32 oz of coffee in the morning and 32 in the afternoon, though I drink closer to 20 oz.

According to my entry (coffee, brewed from grounds), 32 oz of coffee has 9 calories. So I'm logging 18 calories a day for coffee. Not really enough to log, IMO, since it won't really effect my deficit. But I do log it because I hate to look at my diary and see that it looks like I just drank a 15 ml of coffee creamer.

Lol at the mental image of you slamming a few creamers in the morning before work. Snort a pack of Splenda as a chaser. I might be addicted to coffee.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

According to my entry (coffee, brewed from grounds), 32 oz of coffee has 9 calories. So I'm logging 18 calories a day for coffee. Not really enough to log, IMO, since it won't really effect my deficit. But I do log it because I hate to look at my diary and see that it looks like I just drank a 15 ml of coffee creamer.

Lol at the mental image of you slamming a few creamers in the morning before work. Snort a pack of Splenda as a chaser. I might be addicted to coffee.

Ha, yes. Snorting my Splenda really starts my day off on a good note!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Oh ya, I also log the iceberg lettuce in my taco salads so it doesn't look like I just ate a ball of taco meat, refried beans, cheese and sour cream.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

According to my entry (coffee, brewed from grounds), 32 oz of coffee has 9 calories. So I'm logging 18 calories a day for coffee. Not really enough to log, IMO, since it won't really effect my deficit. But I do log it because I hate to look at my diary and see that it looks like I just drank 15 ml of coffee creamer.

I actually feel strangely better that I'm not the only person that does this.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    8253062268_258aa6b2b6_z.jpg
  • quzzdragon
    quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I actually made a "recipe" for my coffee - the way I prep it every day. Makes it easy to log so I can stay fully accountable. As long as you record the calories you should be fine. Don't think "coffee doesn't have any calories" then put 4 tablespoons of sweetened creamer - totally does. Doesn't mean you have to quit coffee.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    quzzdragon wrote: »
    I actually made a "recipe" for my coffee - the way I prep it every day. Makes it easy to log so I can stay fully accountable. As long as you record the calories you should be fine. Don't think "coffee doesn't have any calories" then put 4 tablespoons of sweetened creamer - totally does. Doesn't mean you have to quit coffee.

I did it as a Meal so that I could adjust the various amounts if needed.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Personally cannot live without coffee (or wouldn't want to anyway). I'm now at a happy medium. My morning coffee is black. My afternoon coffee has sugar and cream. I find it more filling that way and it helps me feel sated after having salad for lunch :smiley: As long as I'm under my calorie goal, I don't feel the least bit bad about it.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ASH_DVM wrote: »
    Need all the coffee! And I drink it throughout the day. All day, every day. Log and enjoy!

• tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    0a6c96oo3ko9.jpeg
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I use milk and splenda and yes I count the calories. I can't live without coffee unless I want to lose my job.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    684w0asnix14.jpg

Love it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    NuXPJtz.png?1
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a sign at home that says, "With enough coffee, I could rule the world!"

It's my preferred drink, right upthere next to water. In fact, I go for weeks drinking nothing but water, coffee and the occasional cup of tea; on average up to 3 quarts (total) per day. I average one soda per month, if that.

Coffee must be fresh, strong and not flavored. Splenda and half & half or creamer are excellent additions but, some days are just made for strong, black coffee. My taste goes to darker roasts and full bodied smooth blends.

A couple of my favorite tongue-in-cheek coffee sayings:

There is no "strong" coffee. However, there are some weak men.
    You can easily tell if coffee is too strong if you can float a horseshoe on it.
    Fresh as a flower, black as the devil, hotter that Hell and, as sweet as an angel. (This is from a long dead Englishman whose name escapes me at the moment.)
    In Texas, we say that nothing is more useless than a dry Norther (a very cold, hard and dry north wind) or weak coffee.
    Flavored coffee isn't.

Parting comment: Brew up a pot of double-strong coffee and add a cup of sugar. Use this as a mopping sauce when you barbeque pork. Something about the sweet, smoke and coffee flavors together that is real good.
  • pluto2626
    pluto2626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree, I am a coffee fan and always drank it with creamer and sugar. I have found that vanilla almond milk (non sweetened) is a delicious addition to my coffee and I am not mad at myself for drinking 100 calories!

Some days when I am needing something a bit sweeter, I add coconut sugar. Delicious!!