Will this cause me to stall?

Options

Replies

• 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough does not cause a stall.

Now water retention will. A new or more aggressive excercise routine can cause you to hold water that masks fat loss. Drinking water does not cause water retention.

Success should be measured over 6-8 weeks worth of data. Not 2 or 3.

Trust the process. Eat to your goal. Log accurately. Note 6-8 week averaged results and adjust your intake accordingly.

It's your body's job to produce the results and it will do it in its own sweet time (unfortunately if you are impatient like me)
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    OMP33 wrote: »
    There's just no way you're burning that much a day. When I cycle for 2 hours I only burn 1800 calories, and I go hard. Fitbit lies and it would be better to get a heart rate monitor to sync with your phone to really track how many calories you burn, that's the only accurate way to do so. Eat 2000 calories a day, keep fat low, and burn 500 calories a day. That's how you do it.

It is very possible to burn that much. As a teacher, I range 15-20k steps along with exercising and weight lifting. On those days I burn about 3500 a day, using my Fitbit, and it has been accurate since I began using it (calorie wise). So that isn't necessarily true. Nor is your comment on her eating meat necessary.

A fitbit doesn't have a heart beat monitor. So there's no way it can accurately tell how many you burn. When I use my fitbit, I wake up every morning with it saying I've already burned 800 calories..? That's absurd. The only time I've burned 3k calories in a day is when I biked for 3.5 hours in blistering heat with my heart beat monitor telling me so. At most if you walk, maybe 800 calories a day in walking.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There's just no way you're burning that much a day. When I cycle for 2 hours I only burn 1800 calories, and I go hard. Fitbit lies and it would be better to get a heart rate monitor to sync with your phone to really track how many calories you burn, that's the only accurate way to do so. Eat 2000 calories a day, keep fat low, and burn 500 calories a day. That's how you do it.

It is very possible to burn that much. As a teacher, I range 15-20k steps along with exercising and weight lifting. On those days I burn about 3500 a day, using my Fitbit, and it has been accurate since I began using it (calorie wise). So that isn't necessarily true. Nor is your comment on her eating meat necessary.

A fitbit doesn't have a heart beat monitor. So there's no way it can accurately tell how many you burn. When I use my fitbit, I wake up every morning with it saying I've already burned 800 calories..? That's absurd. The only time I've burned 3k calories in a day is when I biked for 3.5 hours in blistering heat with my heart beat monitor telling me so. At most if you walk, maybe 800 calories a day in walking.

The 3500 is her TDEE, not just exercise calories, and that's entirely possible for someone weighing 315 lbs.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Dude, you know like... your body is burning calories doing absolutely nothing but laying on the floor surviving right? Your body is burning calories just to stay alive and do absolutely nothing else. So of course your body is going to burn calories while you sleep.
  • OMP33
    Options

Dude, you know like... your body is burning calories doing absolutely nothing but laying on the floor surviving right? Your body is burning calories just to stay alive and do absolutely nothing else. So of course your body is going to burn calories while you sleep.

Yes I know you burn while you sleep, but it should not be factored into exercise on MFP for the day or logged as 800 calories burned.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

The charge hr has a heart rate monitor. Is it 100% accurate? Of course not. It still gives me a ball park that has proven to be true based on my loss and gains. But what you are essentially telling people is that because you don't, no one can, which essentially becomes useless advice. You have no idea of the OPs stats; thus, you can't accurate tell them what they are burning.
  • OMP33
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

The 3500 is her TDEE, not just exercise calories, and that's entirely possible for someone weighing 315 lbs.

TDEE is different from calories burned through exercise.
  • vespiquenn
    edited February 2016
    Options

She did not say that her 3500 is burned through exercise. The 3500 is her entire day, including her exercise. Just as I stated that my entire day was 3500. So yes, 3500 is her TDEE.

• OMP33
    Options

She did not say that her 3500 is burned through exercise. The 3500 is her entire day, including her exercise. Just as I stated that my entire day was 3500. So yes, 3500 is her TDEE.

I would say closer to 3000 would be TDEE.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There's just no way you're burning that much a day. When I cycle for 2 hours I only burn 1800 calories, and I go hard.

It's very possible to burn that much. Simply existing at 315 pounds burns a ton (I know, I was there). My TDEE, which is what Fitbit calculates, is around 3200 calories, as estimated by a six-month trend of my weight and my quite accurate food logging.

Fitbit is not the same as logging exercise calories. Fitbit calculates your TDEE: that is, it estimates your BMR + NEAT + exercise all lumped together. MFP is smart enough to know that when you sync a fitbit, it should use the Fitbit's TDEE estimations in place of MFP's own BMR/NEAT calculations.

So a Fitbit telling you that you burned 800 calories sleeping is not at all the same thing as a non-fitbit user logging 800 calories of exercise.
  • vespiquenn
    Options

I would say closer to 3000 would be TDEE.

And how can you come to that conclusion without knowing anything about OP?

• Kasper2010
    Kasper2010 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am using a heart rate monitor and I am 315lbs. Due to how morbidly obese I am I burn 2180 calories as a vegetable daily. Doing absolutely nothing. That comes from my dietician and after a lot of testing. Now, I walk over 15,000 steps daily and also bike for 30min to an hour a day. Again, due to my morbid obesity I burn more calories than a person at a healthy weight during exercise.

I am not sure if you thought you were being helpful or not, but you were not. If anything you just discourages me from seeking help and trying to understand what is going on with my body and if I need to make another appointment with my PCP and dietician to figure out what is wrong. I was seeking help not criticism.

To those who offered help and real knowledge, thank you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When you say a stall, do you mean absolutely no weight lost? If so, stick with your calories for another week. If at that point you have not lost for three weeks straight, cut by 100 calories.
  • OMP33
    Options
    Kasper2010 wrote: »
    I am using a heart rate monitor and I am 315lbs. Due to how morbidly obese I am I burn 2180 calories as a vegetable daily. Doing absolutely nothing. That comes from my dietician and after a lot of testing. Now, I walk over 15,000 steps daily and also bike for 30min to an hour a day. Again, due to my morbid obesity I burn more calories than a person at a healthy weight during exercise.

I am not sure if you thought you were being helpful or not, but you were not. If anything you just discourages me from seeking help and trying to understand what is going on with my body and if I need to make another appointment with my PCP and dietician to figure out what is wrong. I was seeking help not criticism.

If you are referring to me, I am very sorry. I was in no way trying to discourage or not help you. I was simply just stating that a fitbit is not always accurate because it does not have a heart rate monitor. As I now know you have a HRM, I'm glad that you can figure out your daily calories burned. I hope you have an awesome journey though your weight loss and that you turn heads when people see how terrific you did on losing it. That's what always motivated me when I lost 60 pounds. Goodluck and again, I'm sorry if I offended you, I did not mean to. I was just arguing over how accurate a fitbit is.
  • Tankadin
    Tankadin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    IMO, at 1800 calories there is almost zero chance your body is in "starvation mode". Take a look at the wikipedia article for starvation mode, and scrutinize the sources for yourself. My personal summary after checking out this information is that without an almost complete fast over several days, your body simply won't do this. You would also be suffering major symptoms as organs begin to partially function.
  • wilsonkalyn5
    wilsonkalyn5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you been cycling for a while now? Recently I started lifting and gained 2 lbs and flipped out, but I figured out it was due to inflammation in my muscles from them being sore. That might be a source of your weight not going down lately.
  • Kasper2010
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    When you say a stall, do you mean absolutely no weight lost? If so, stick with your calories for another week. If at that point you have not lost for three weeks straight, cut by 100 calories.

Yes, no weight loss at all. Not even .2lbs lol. I carb and calorie cycle, so I am never eating the same amount of calories. I will give it another week like you say, and if still not anything I will trying staying at a steady caloric intake and see what happens.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Kasper2010 wrote: »

If you are referring to me, I am very sorry. I was in no way trying to discourage or not help you. I was simply just stating that a fitbit is not always accurate because it does not have a heart rate monitor. As I now know you have a HRM, I'm glad that you can figure out your daily calories burned. I hope you have an awesome journey though your weight loss and that you turn heads when people see how terrific you did on losing it. That's what always motivated me when I lost 60 pounds. Goodluck and again, I'm sorry if I offended you, I did not mean to. I was just arguing over how accurate a fitbit is.

Again, some fitbits do have heart rate monitors. Mine does.
  • Kasper2010
    Options
    Have you been cycling for a while now? Recently I started lifting and gained 2 lbs and flipped out, but I figured out it was due to inflammation in my muscles from them being sore. That might be a source of your weight not going down lately.

My muscles haven't been sore the last week. Last week, that is what I was thinking too. And I know I am not holding onto any water since I am fully hydrated. I am just terrified with all the yoyo dieting over then last 5 years I have screwed up my metabolism.

My Dr recently told me she wants me to have gastric bypass, and it terrifies me. I don't want to have weight loss surgery, so we made a deal of me going 3 months and if I can lose 10% of my body weight in 3 months surgery will be off the table. That is more of the reason I am stressing.

I feel great, my energy levels are great, I am completely off sugar and no longer crave it. I sleep 8 hours a night now without waking and can jump out of bed with no problems, where as before it took me an hour to wake up and move.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    OP don't be discouraged, you are starting a new journey, and with changes in your exercise habits, ToM and even stress can lead to you retaining waterweight. Give yourself some time to adjust to your new routine, try to be patient. The results will come.