• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    Keep your fat low and get your carbs up, eat 2k calories a day and burn off 500 of it daily. That's the key to success.

I don't think it work like that for everyone.

It's basic calories in vs. calories out. That's what weight loss is.

But you're making a grand assumption that everyone's calories out are exactly the same.

Calories in vs. calories out. 2k calories consumed by me and 2k calories consumed by you is the exact same. 500 calories burned by me is the same as 500 calories burned by you. Calories in vs. calories out.

Yes, but not everyone needs 2k calories.

I see people eating 1k calories and they definitely don't need that little.

and 2000 calories is definitely too little for many athletes. I think what you're trying to say is that you should be in a 500 calorie deficit, but not everyone's TDEE is 2000 calories.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Keep your fat low and get your carbs up, eat 2k calories a day and burn off 500 of it daily. That's the key to success.

But you're making a grand assumption that everyone's calories out are exactly the same.

Calories in vs. calories out. 2k calories consumed by me and 2k calories consumed by you is the exact same. 500 calories burned by me is the same as 500 calories burned by you. Calories in vs. calories out.

and 2000 calories is definitely too little for many athletes. I think what you're trying to say is that you should be in a 500 calorie deficit, but not everyone's TDEE is 2000 calories.

You're right, everyone has different TDEEs. That was my fault for the assumption. But what I'm trying to say is you should go out and burn 500 calories a day.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    From past experince I've learned 12-1500 puts me in maintaince and anything over I start to gain, I know that obviously not true of most people but it is for me. And @tincanonasteing I'm not really sure what you mean about my diary being not accurate?? I weigh 95% of my food, even the protein powder I use gets weighed and not measured. And honestly Even if the pre packaged things like the protein bars ( because those I don't weigh) arnt perfect in their packaged measurements there should still be enough of a deficit in my day to still be losing .
  • mistress8956
    Options
    @galgenstrick I weigh myself ever few day but only log once a week
  • galgenstrick
    edited February 2016
    Options

You're right, everyone has different TDEEs. That was my fault for the assumption. But what I'm trying to say is you should go out and burn 500 calories a day.

Or you can eat 500 calories less... honestly, I didn't know CICO could actually be oversimplifed...
  • OMP33
    Options

Or you can eat 500 calories less... honestly, I didn't know CICO could actually be oversimplifed...

If you eat 500 calories less than you're depriving yourself of the nutrients. Plus it doesn't hurt to burn some calories everyday.
  • mistress8956
    Options
    I don't like water (yes I'm one of those people lol) so I drink a lot of flavored 0cal waters. Maybe that's part of the problem? Not sure ..... I know that my logging is as accurate as it can be, so that gets me frustrated. I just feel like there's something I'm missing idk
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    @galgenstrick I weigh myself ever few day but only log once a week

Are you logging your average of weigh-ins over the week, or just logging what you way that day for the week? Your weight will fluctuate day to day, so more data points are better. Are you weighing yourself at different times or the same time every day?
  • OMP33
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You should pay more attention to weekly weight loss rather than daily.
  • mistress8956
    Options
    I log on either Sunday/ Monday mornings after I shower but before I eat anything. That's the weight I log or rather don't log since it's not changing. I've notice about a .5lb fluctuation back and forth through the the week but it always ends up back at the same place
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    You should pay more attention to weekly weight loss rather than daily.

You should pay attention to trends, not any particular number. If I weighed myself on week one and I weighted 180, then I weighed myself on week two and I still weighed 180, I might think that I didn't lose any fat, even though I ate in a deficit. If I instead weighed myself every day and and saw a gradual loss each day, but after a week my last weigh in was the same as my first, then at least that tells you it's likely a retention of water/food weight. Weighing yourself every day increases the resolution of your data, more data points are always better.
  • mistress8956
    Options
    @omp33 there's no change weekly or daily
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I log on either Sunday/ Monday mornings after I shower but before I eat anything. That's the weight I log or rather don't log since it's not changing. I've notice about a .5lb fluctuation back and forth through the the week but it always ends up back at the same place

Ideally you should weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, but before taking a shower.
  • mistress8956
    Options
    @galgenstrick so u think I should log every day even if I got up say .2 or what not just to see a fluctuation pattern?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    @galgenstrick so u think I should log every day even if I got up say .2 or what not just to see a fluctuation pattern?

Yes, absolutely.
  • mistress8956
    Options
    I'll try that then although idk if it will make me feel any better lol
  • galgenstrick
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'll try that then although idk if it will make me feel any better lol

Basically you want to keep as many variables constant as you can so that you can tell what the problem is if a problem arises. I'm looking at your diary and I see that you've been way under on your sodium over the whole week, except for the last two days you've been over. So you could be retaining a bunch of water over the last couple days but you could have really lost a bit of fat, the only way you could have possibly known that for sure is if you weighed yourself every day.

One other thing you could be doing is charting your waist, chest and thigh measurements over time as well.

Once you have those metrics down, and you know you are weighing all the food you eat and counting the calories correctly (this also means hitting your goals within 50 calories every day), then you will know for sure if you're eating too much or not exercising enough. At that point you can make a tweak to your calories or exercise program.

• Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    your eating too much fatty foods and not enough carbs
  • galgenstrick
    Options

I hope you're just being snarky about what OMP33 said earlier, if not you are wrong.
  • OMP33
    Options

I hope you're just being snarky about what OMP33 said earlier, if not you are wrong.

Carb up mate