Need more protein

Options
I'm watching my calories. (Obviously) I have a protein at every meal but I am falling very short on my proteins each day. Any suggestions for foods that are high in protein? I can only eat so many ounces in meat so other ways of getting protein would be much appreciated!!

Replies

• bethanyykayy
    bethanyykayy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Protein Shakes?
  • stialoves
    stialoves Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great! I typically weigh out and mix 0% Fage and the Light & Fit Danon (because the Fage by itself is just plain sour. Adding Splenda works too). But a cup of Fage has about 24g of protein and a serving of the Danon has 12g. Lentils also have 18g per cup, but also have 40g of carbs since they are a legume. Soy milk has 8g of protein per cup. Chicken breast, 93/7 ground turkey & ground beef, shrimp, cottage cheese, peanut butter (high in fat, so PB2 could be an alternative!), tuna, and egg whites are also good.

If all else fails, whey protein powders are always an option!
  • boofmylumpia
    boofmylumpia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is good. Shakes or protein bars
    (try Quest bars...delicious) Soybeans such as edamames are high in protein as well.
  • boofmylumpia
    boofmylumpia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    stialoves wrote: »
    Greek yogurt is great! I typically weigh out and mix 0% Fage and the Light & Fit Danon (because the Fage by itself is just plain sour. Adding Splenda works too). But a cup of Fage has about 24g of protein and a serving of the Danon has 12g. Lentils also have 18g per cup, but also have 40g of carbs since they are a legume. Soy milk has 8g of protein per cup. Chicken breast, 93/7 ground turkey & ground beef, shrimp, cottage cheese, peanut butter (high in fat, so PB2 could be an alternative!), tuna, and egg whites are also good.

Well damn...greek yogurt is awesome
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Beans. I tend to buy low-sodium canned, and then rinse them to remove more sodium, and just add a little to every meal- Garbanzo beans on the green salad, black beans in the rice, etc.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You are probably already getting too much protein. You only need 1.25 grams/kg LEAN BODY MASS per day.
    For you probably only 50-60 grams.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Are you lifting weights? You only need a certain amount of protein daily. If feeling full is your goal, don't forget that high fiber foods can also keep your tummy happy.
  • cagbunag
    cagbunag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My best protein is "Raw Protein shakes' 1 scoop unflavored-- 80 Calories- 3 Carbs- <1g Sugar-17g protein. I've tried all the shakes but this one keeps my calories and sugar down and I've tried them all. Good luck!
  • cagbunag
    cagbunag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try Bison and Elk ground meat with No Hormones or antibiotics--- the best!! 4 oz is 24g of protein! ;)
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs, almonds, cottage cheese, pnut butter, any bean or nut.
  • jordiblu
    jordiblu Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    sprouts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, quinoa, lentils all loaded with protein
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Peas! Cottage cheese! Eggs! (I second the Greek yogurt and beans and lentils.)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    my favs are tuna, greek yogurt, egg whites and just plain eggs boiled scrambled, etc. and beans-
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    stialoves wrote: »

Well damn...greek yogurt is awesome

Especially if you mix in a scoop of chocolate peanut butter flavoured protein powder, or whatever flavour you like. It takes the taste up to a whole new level :+1: Plus, more protein!

• space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I add greek yogurt and protein powder to my overnight oats for a good dose at breakfast when I'm not feeling or too busy to make eggs
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Nut butters. Nuts n seeds. Oats. Bread with whole meal or sprouted grain like Ezekiel bread or with nuts in it like cobblestone knead for seed bread.

I would try to do double portions of your meats or eggs helped me when I ate meat and eggs. Dairy too. Like 8 oz chicken or 8 oz salmon. Two cans tuna, clams or lobster/ crab/ shrimp
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Usually if people have issues with protein they aren't getting much at one or two of their meals or snacks (if they snack). Substituting more protein at breakfast and lunch (eggs and greek yogurt and cottage cheese are all good non meat sources, a bean-based soup at lunch or salad with protein vs. sandwich can be good options) or snacks with more protein (again greek yogurt and cottage cheese or maybe a boiled egg have lots, something like nuts or nut butters or seeds have some) can help. Tofu and edamame are also good sources. And there's always the protein bar or shake option. Also, if your meat choices are fattier, then you will need to eat more than with lean sources to get the same amount of protein, so switching to leaner choices can help.