Air Force Basic Training!

Options
almy123
almy123 Posts: 14 Member
Hey all! First of all, I'm Amber. :) It's nice to get back on track with this...I've been on here for just shy of a year now, and I'm only recently really starting to use it every day. I wasn't really motivated before, but seeing as I leave July 26th for Air Force Basic Military Training, time to get my act in gear! ;)
I've been going to the gym and doing P90X; my question is, for anyone else out there who's been in the military, will this be sufficient enough to prepare me for BMT? Or should I be doing more?
I can currently jog a mile and a half in 13 minutes, I can do around 30 push-ups in a minute; my only issue is sit-ups. I struggle pretty bad with them...I don't have a very strong abdomen. Does anyone have any pointers?

By the way, feel free to add me as a friend!! I could always use more friends and more support. ;)

Replies

• Riane22
    Riane22 Posts: 18
    Options
    Congratulations on joining the Air Force! That is currently my goal also. I just had a baby a little over a year ago and gaing way to much weight. As far as you doing the p90x that is a great work out (currently what i am doing also) that will help you out alot with your core work and with the sit ups. The video Core synergistics is awesome for that ( one of my favorites ) which program are you in? I am doing the Lean phase.
  • Riane22
    Riane22 Posts: 18
    Options
    Oh yes and jogging that in 13 mins is pretty good, and i am very impressed with 30 push ups! I can barely do one!
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    up your push ups to 35 -40 a minute and sit ups ya your gonna need to be able to do at least 35 a minute! You will do fine with the running.Can you do pull ups?
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    From what I hear about the P90x and what I know about the AF fitness tests, you should be great. And not to worry, basic training if anything like Navy boot camp will have you doing great sit ups in no time. :) The one other thing they do that you didn't mention is the waist measurement. So you might see where you sit with that and what it should be. If you want I could probably get you a chart. My husband is currently AF and I'm sure he has access to all those things I think (and I think this from randomly finding things like that laying around the house). Good luck on your training.
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    If you do planks that will help
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your acceptance! I'm in the Canadian military so I'm not sure what your entry standards are as far as fitness goes but as far as core strength "planks" are great. You can do front, side and back plank which is incredible for strengthening your core without putting the stress on your lower back/tailbone like situps can.

Good luck with the training!
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    Congratulations on your choice to serve your country :)

I was in the Army for 5 years after graduating highschool. I'll tell you that if you do ANYTHING before you go to basic, you are going to be way ahead of the game!!! Many of the people I started with could barely preform the required pushups and situps to start basic. If th ey couldn't do them, they were assigned to the fitness training unit until they could preform them. It was relatively easy though, something like 3 pushups for us girls and maybe 12 situps. And run 1 mile in like 10 minutes or something. They don't expect people to be physically conditioned when they show up.

I'm not sure how AF basic differs from Army basic but we were in constant motion from the first day. CONSTANT. By th e time I finished the 8 week training I had gained 18 lbs (started basic at 114 lbs left at 132), did my final PT test and ran 2 miles in 15 minutes, did 55 pushups in 2 minutes and 90 something situps in 2 minutes. A HUGE difference from the skinny, weak person I was at the start!!

I say just look up the PT requirements for the AF PT test and start practicing to that. They will likely have you do an initial test and then place you into an ability fitness group to improve towards your PT goal (of passing the pt test...) Good luck!!!
  • almy123
    Options
    Congratulations on joining the Air Force! That is currently my goal also. I just had a baby a little over a year ago and gaing way to much weight. As far as you doing the p90x that is a great work out (currently what i am doing also) that will help you out alot with your core work and with the sit ups. The video Core synergistics is awesome for that ( one of my favorites ) which program are you in? I am doing the Lean phase.

Thank you Riane! It's been a rough journey to get where I'm at. I started out at a little over 210lbs when I graduated high school three years ago. Since then I had lost 70lbs, putting my weight at 139 right now. I just enlisted in March, and I'm pretty psyched about it. :)
    P90X is a good workout...definitely a challenge, but I like it a lot. The Ab Ripper though, I struggle with. Haha. I'm doing my best and hoping that I'll get better with it by the time I leave next month. But I really like Kenpo X a lot....it's definitely a good workout for when I've had a rough day. :P I am just starting the Lean phase here shortly as well. :)
  • teacher4380
    Options
    The PT test is a mile and a half...so I would start going a bit father for endurance and also try to speed it up a bit! Here is the link to the AFI about the fitness test...find your "test"...probably the less than 30 female would be my guess?!?! It is a long document, but it has a nice chart that you can see what you need for your points to pass....current passing rate is 75, but you want to shoot for WAY higher!!! Good luck!!! You will be excited to Cross into the Blue!!!

http://www.afoats.af.mil/ots/documents/AFI36-2905.pdf
  • brattyworm
    Options
    ! It is a long document, but it has a nice chart that you can see what you need for your points to pass....current passing rate is 75, but you want to shoot for WAY higher!!!
    '

Definitely shoot for higher, my husband current command has it where above 90 only has to do the PT test once a year anything less its twice a year
  • almy123
    Options
    From what I hear about the P90x and what I know about the AF fitness tests, you should be great. And not to worry, basic training if anything like Navy boot camp will have you doing great sit ups in no time. :) The one other thing they do that you didn't mention is the waist measurement. So you might see where you sit with that and what it should be. If you want I could probably get you a chart. My husband is currently AF and I'm sure he has access to all those things I think (and I think this from randomly finding things like that laying around the house). Good luck on your training.

Ohhh yes, the weight measurement. My recruiter told me for girls, maximum weight measurement is 35" and I'm well below that, the last time I checked I was 31" and that was a about a month ago when I was slightly heavier. So I think I'm okay with that. A chart would be awesome though! :)
  • almy123
    Options
    Congratulations on your choice to serve your country :)

I was in the Army for 5 years after graduating highschool. I'll tell you that if you do ANYTHING before you go to basic, you are going to be way ahead of the game!!! Many of the people I started with could barely preform the required pushups and situps to start basic. If th ey couldn't do them, they were assigned to the fitness training unit until they could preform them. It was relatively easy though, something like 3 pushups for us girls and maybe 12 situps. And run 1 mile in like 10 minutes or something. They don't expect people to be physically conditioned when they show up.

I'm not sure how AF basic differs from Army basic but we were in constant motion from the first day. CONSTANT. By th e time I finished the 8 week training I had gained 18 lbs (started basic at 114 lbs left at 132), did my final PT test and ran 2 miles in 15 minutes, did 55 pushups in 2 minutes and 90 something situps in 2 minutes. A HUGE difference from the skinny, weak person I was at the start!!

I say just look up the PT requirements for the AF PT test and start practicing to that. They will likely have you do an initial test and then place you into an ability fitness group to improve towards your PT goal (of passing the pt test...) Good luck!!!

Thank you so much! I've been told time and time again from the day I enlisted that preparing for basic training is important, so I'm definitely working on it. I just looked up the requirements for Air Force PT standards and it is as follows:

Mile-and-a-half run - less than 16:22
    Pushups - at least 18 in one minute.
    Situps - at least 38 in one minute.

The only issue it looks I will have is the situps, but hopefully I can improve on them before I leave. ;)
  • brattyworm
    Options
    the husband verified the above post is way better then what he was going to send me. so definitely go by the chart. i think you'll be just fine off of what you posted you can do..
  • almy123
    Options
    the husband verified the above post is way better then what he was going to send me. so definitely go by the chart. i think you'll be just fine off of what you posted you can do..

Ok, sounds great. Thank you again! :)
  • almy123
    Options
    Congrats on your acceptance! I'm in the Canadian military so I'm not sure what your entry standards are as far as fitness goes but as far as core strength "planks" are great. You can do front, side and back plank which is incredible for strengthening your core without putting the stress on your lower back/tailbone like situps can.

Good luck with the training!

Thank you very much! As far as "planks," what exactly are those? I've definitely heard of them before, very familiar, but I'm having a "moment" and I forget what they are. Haha :P
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    A plank is getting into a pushup position but hold it and tighten your abs in the process. Plus make sure your arms are under you or as if you are doing tricep pushups. If your recruiting station has "pt" and some do, GO. This will kinda give you an idea of what is to come. I run with a 20lbs weight vest but thats just me.
  • almy123
    Options
    A plank is getting into a pushup position but hold it and tighten your abs in the process. Plus make sure your arms are under you or as if you are doing tricep pushups. If your recruiting station has "pt" and some do, GO. This will kinda give you an idea of what is to come. I run with a 20lbs weight vest but thats just me.

Ahhh ok thank you!!
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    Ok. I was checking into that 100 push ups challenge and there's also a 200 sit ups challenge! You could do it! I know you don't need to do nearly 200 situps but it couldn't hurt ;) The thing is, doing more of something is going to make you better at it.
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options

If you find the planks with arms extended difficult at first you can also do them on your elbows (same effect just a bit easier on the wrists). Start at 30 seconds and increase by 15 second increments as your body adjusts.
  • almy123
    Options
    Ok. I was checking into that 100 push ups challenge and there's also a 200 sit ups challenge! You could do it! I know you don't need to do nearly 200 situps but it couldn't hurt ;) The thing is, doing more of something is going to make you better at it.

Awesome! That sounds tough, but I like challenges. :) I'll definitely look into that! Thanks!