Running on a treadmill

Options
I know running on a treadmill is frowned at ... but someone told me that 3% incline is what should be used and not to run flat. Is this true ?

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    why is it frowned at? I use mine regularly when the weather is too bad or i want to run fast with no interruptions.
    It is a general rule of thumb that a 1% incline will equate to the wind resistance of running outside.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There are arguments for and against treadmills, but it's down to personal choice and circumstances.

1% incline is a generally agreed compensation for wind resistance. The idea of "frowned upon" might be because outdoor runners can find treadmill running boring after being used to a view and actually getting somewhere.

I personally believe I am more likely to keep going outside than on a treadmill. I was discussing a 6.2 mile run with a fried who asked "Why the .2?" and the answer was "Because I had to get home!" I think I'd be more likely to hit the 'stop' button on the treadmill than push out a challenging last leg :smiley:
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    some incline is needed ,the amount is personal preference.
    i use "rolling hills" setting that graduates the incline from 0-3% gradually up and down over the time set.
    3% would be impossible for me for any longer than 10 minutes.
    i regularly do 1 hour plus as part of marathon training.
    using general advice from "someone" is rarely helpfull in life.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    The arguments for treadmills are usually: -

"I cant run outside"
    "I havent got enough time to run outside"
    "Its too cold to run outside"

There isnt really anything positive about a treadmill. It is just in the end, a pointless ornament that doesnt even simulate proper running....
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    The BBC programme Trust Me I'm a Doctor did a comparison the other day and had this to say about it:

To pound the pavements or to toil on the treadmill? Is there really any difference aside from climate?

In many ways the answer will depend on why you’re running in the first place – are you looking to improve overall fitness, burn calories, or train for an event? Both outdoor and treadmill running can help to achieve these goals, but there are also some general differences to be aware of.

Energy

Running outside is harder work and burns more calories than running at the same speed on a treadmill, largely because of wind resistance. However, as a study conducted by Prof Andrew Jones and the University of Exeter showed, this imbalance can be easily corrected in the gym. All you have to do is set your treadmill to a 1% gradient, or 2% if you’re an elite athlete.

Speed

It’s worth knowing that when we run on a treadmill we tend to overestimate our pace. A study conducted in 2012 which asked participants to run outdoors and then match their speed on a treadmill found that the treadmill speeds were significantly slower. The scientists behind the study proposed that this error in perception could be due to the difference between what we expect to see and what we actually see when running on a treadmill. Whatever the cause, it suggests that when we run outside we work harder without even realising it.

Injuries

Running on a treadmill comes with fewer hazards – you don’t have to weave around obstructions and you can run uninterrupted for a much longer time. You’re also safe from uneven surfaces and your landing is softened by the conveyor. However the repetition involved could be a problem. When we run our feet hit the ground about 1000 times per mile and when the same motion occurs again and again it can cause an overuse injury. To avoid this, it’s a good idea to vary both the speed and the incline when running on a treadmill. Outside, this is less of a problem, especially if you run off road. In fact running on varied terrain can activate more muscles, strengthen ligaments and improve balance.

Wellbeing

Several studies have shown that exercising in natural environments, particularly in green space, can help us feel more energetic and positive and can even combat depression. A few have also found that outdoor exercise can lower the levels of cortisol in the blood, a hormone related to stress.

So while there are pros and cons on both sides, running outdoors probably edges it. But the best advice, especially if you’re starting out, is to pick the kind of running that you enjoy the most and that you’re most likely to stick to. And if that means heading to the nearest treadmill just remember to vary the speed and the incline.

Related Links
    A 1% treadmill grade most accurately reflects the energetic cost of outdoor running. (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
    Unmatched perception of speed when running overground and on a treadmill. (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
    The impact of outdoor exercise on wellbeing. (pubs.acs.org)
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

"I cant run outside"

There isnt really anything positive about a treadmill. It is just in the end, a pointless ornament that doesnt even simulate proper running....

So what's your point? I personally am not going to go outside when it's -30F, blustery winds and snowing out. Nor am I going to go for a run when it's slashing rain out. So a TM doesn't "simulate proper running". Big deal. When I first started running I started out on a treadmill and never had any issues when I transitioned to outside. If it gets someone up and doing an exercise they normally wouldn't do then it's a win.
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »
    some incline is needed ,the amount is personal preference.
    i use "rolling hills" setting that graduates the incline from 0-3% gradually up and down over the time set.
    3% would be impossible for me for any longer than 10 minutes.
    i regularly do 1 hour plus as part of marathon training.
    using general advice from "someone" is rarely helpfull in life.

Great advice! I'm new at running on the treadmill and sometimes it gets boring running on the same incline, so I manually change it every couple of minutes. I set my treadmill to manual, but was looking for more options. This is helpful! :)
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

"I cant run outside"

How about, 'I live in the Arctic, it's minus 40C windchill and I have a choice of either running through a foot of ice-capped snow or on a rounded, icy grid-road'... Is that enough of an excuse?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

"I cant run outside"

While I will always choose to run outside if that is an option, it is not always an option due to conditions, or timing, or whatnot. I will also choose to run on a treadmill every time as opposed to not run at all. Those who choose to not run at all will be slower than me.

I prefer being faster. Therefore I use a treadmill when I need to.
  • bigbubbles98
    bigbubbles98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like treadmills... I think it's good for beginners who have just started exercising.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think on a technical level the actual treadmill is not quiet level- and setting it to 1-2 (I find 2.5 perfect for me) is more realistic to running flat on the ground.
    play around with what you feel works best for you.

I don't care for running on the treadmill because I'm significantly (2-3 minutes) slower- and I don't like running at all- so the sooner and faster that I can do my miles- the better. So I prefer outside- but I will run inside if I must.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    some people frown on everything
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Run on the treadmill if you want to. Whether other people like it or not has no effect on its efficacy in your fitness program.

I mostly use the treadmill for walking. However, I do use it for running intervals a couple of times a week. I don't fuss with the incline when I use it for running but as @JoRocka said, figure out what works well for you.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Saab_2015 wrote: »
    I know running on a treadmill is frowned at ... but someone told me that 3% incline is what should be used and not to run flat. Is this true ?

Why? I find it boring but that's not the same a frowned at. If conditions exist outside where it is not safe for me to run, I have no problem using a treadmill. Even a boring run inside is better than sitting on the couch doing nothing.

EDIT to add I never increase the incline. When I use the treadmill my goal is normally to get 5-7 miles in while keeping my heart rate down. Nice and easy.
  • veganxpizza
    veganxpizza Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do a 1-1.5% incline, nothing wrong with it except for it's boring.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    tcatcarson wrote: »
    I was discussing a 6.2 mile run with a fried who asked "Why the .2?" and the answer was "Because I had to get home!" I think I'd be more likely to hit the 'stop' button on the treadmill than push out a challenging last leg :smiley:

Because 6.2 = 10K! It's an even number. ;)
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    some people frown on everything

So true! Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    It's boring as hell, but I use the treadmill at the gym and go back to outside running on non-gym days. I haven't died yet, so I'm assuming it's okay. Set the treadmill to your proper speed, give it a 1% incline, and you're all good. If someone frowns, smash them in the face with your awesomely consistent pace.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    tcatcarson wrote: »
    I was discussing a 6.2 mile run with a fried who asked "Why the .2?" and the answer was "Because I had to get home!" I think I'd be more likely to hit the 'stop' button on the treadmill than push out a challenging last leg :smiley:

Because 6.2 = 10K! It's an even number. ;)

QFT
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'm curious. Is it normal for people to stay at the same speed on the treadmill? I vary my speed constantly through out my runs. I start at a slow warm up speed then every 1/4 mile I up it .1 to .2 When I hear an awesome/energetic song come on, I'll bump it up a bit more, try to sustain that through out the song, then go back down when it's over. I do not use incline at all unless I'm just walking as a warm up. I mostly run on the treadmill since the only time I have to work out is when it's dark outside and I'm not comfortable running in the dark. My norm is 2-4 miles depending on time, I strive for a 5k though if I can.