Free weights vs. Machines

Options
I'm looking to get definition in my arms/legs particularly. I also want to get stronger!!
Which is better? Does it matter?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    free weights are pretty much superior in every way for the beginner.

I recommend you find a structured program and follow it. Make sure the program focuses on compound lifting and progressive overload.

Here are some good programs:
    Starting Strengh
    Thinner leaner stronger
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Free weights are better, though I think that machines have their place. A good solid free weight program with a few machine exercises is fine. Some people seem to think that machines are the devil but that's a bit dramatic.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It Does Not Really Matter, I'd Do Both.. They Both Have Their Advantages.. Free Weights Will Help Work The Stabilizing/Supporting Muscles For The movements As Well As The Targeted Muscles, While Machines Are Intended To Target And Isolate The Work To A Specific Muscle.. You Will Benefit From Both :)
  • ty_fit0815
    ty_fit0815 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I prefer free weights because they pretty much force you to learn proper technique
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Free weights are better, though I think that machines have their place. A good solid free weight program with a few machine exercises is fine. Some people seem to think that machines are the devil but that's a bit dramatic.

this. i use the cable machines often, cable row or pull down etc, also there are some good cable tricep exercises. i also use the leg press and the hack squat machine thing.

i have used those stationary machines but only when i've been rehabbing something injured and need the extra stability support
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ty_fit0815 wrote: »
    I'm looking to get definition in my arms/legs particularly. I also want to get stronger!!
    Which is better? Does it matter?

I would suggest 80-90% of your workout should be freeweight/bodyweight, compound movements, the rest could be machines if you like.

Also definition is made in the kitchen. You can have muscles but if a layer of fat is covering them you won't have definition.

Good luck.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Honestly, as long as you are incorporating weight training into your work out, you will begin to see toning and definition. Do not be afraid to "go heavy." If you are more comfortable on the machines to start off, then do so. I believe that free weights are more efficient, but in some cases that just isn't possible. Machines "aid" in proper form but also don't allow your body to compensate and use as much of your core/targeted muscles as the machines
  • ty_fit0815
    Options
    Oh yeah PackerJohn...I recently learned that, and have lost 44 lbs because of it. Thank you. :)
  • ty_fit0815
    Options
    Honestly, as long as you are incorporating weight training into your work out, you will begin to see toning and definition. Do not be afraid to "go heavy." If you are more comfortable on the machines to start off, then do so. I believe that free weights are more efficient, but in some cases that just isn't possible. Machines "aid" in proper form but also don't allow your body to compensate and use as much of your core/targeted muscles as the machines

I guess I feel safer on the machines, and am always afraid that my form is wrong with the free weights. Gonna continue to educate myself, thanks so much for the info.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah PackerJohn...I recently learned that, and have lost 44 lbs because of it. Thank you. :)

Congrats
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I guess I feel safer on the machines, and am always afraid that my form is wrong with the free weights. Gonna continue to educate myself, thanks so much for the info.

Watch videos online (bodybuilding.com, Allan Thrall, Buff Dudes, Scott Herman Fitness, Mark Rippetoe, and the So You Think You Can series are a few good people/sites for videos) and practice with light weights. Then you can video yourself and post it someplace for a form check if you'd like. Once you start doing it, it becomes way less intimidating. Best of luck to you!
  • ty_fit0815
    Options
    Appreciate that jemhh, I will definitely check those vids out.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Never trust the machines. If you value your freedom stick with the free weights. Just watch any of the terminator movies if you need more information.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    no_russian wrote: »
    I prefer free weights because they pretty much force you to learn proper technique

This.
    Although if you have only machines available to you, it's better than nothing.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    no_russian wrote: »

This.
    Although if you have only machines available to you, it's better than nothing.

Strange, because most people I see at the gym have horrible technique. Free weights definitely take practice and constant form correcting at first before technique is nailed down.
  • ty_fit0815
    Options
    Oh no galgenstrick, you have me nervous..lol. I'll be that girl with the horrible technique.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Oh no galgenstrick, you have me nervous..lol. I'll be that girl with the horrible technique.

You'll be find, just practice, and if you want bonus points, video yourself with some of the harder exercises like squats so you can correct mistakes. If you really want to get into the detail, or plan on going heavy, then pick up the book "Starting Strength" it will teach you all you need to know about perfect form.
  • ty_fit0815
    Options
    Thank you.