Fitbit or no fitbit?

rmduck81
rmduck81 Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it worth investing in a fitbit or tracker?
In my line of work I'm either sitting at a desk 8 hrs plus a day or out on jobs on my feet all day. I work for a moving company and I usually don't have my phone on me during the day, but if I'm walking or something I use that to track my steps.
I recently worked 7 hrs unpacking and I didn't have my phone on me. I googled the amount of calories burned unpacking and it told me for a 140 lbs person packing or unpacking that they burned 222 cals per hour. I don't know it that is a good estimate to go off of. Just seems kind of high, but who knows.
So if you own a fitbit, is it worth the extra cash?

Thanks

Replies

• jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    I love my Fitbit; it gives me something to aim for and allows automatic calorie adjustments for activity.
  • SaraB_82
    SaraB_82 Posts: 45 Member
    I have a Microsoft Band 2. I went back and forth before buying it, but I find it really helpful.. But really it just gives you tons of information, you still have to act upon it.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    I <3 my fitbit flex! It simplifies the CO part of CICO, especially if your activity level is all over the place.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I wore one for several months to see what my TDEE was being recorded as and set my calorie goal accordingly. Once I got similar data after those several months I stopped wearing it.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    I don't know what I would do without my fitbit. I started with the flex and upgraded to the Charge HR. It definitely helps me push myself harder! I love that you can have competitions with friends which also makes it more fun!
  • wonderchu
    wonderchu Posts: 53 Member
    I like to see how much I burn but I did just fine without one for most of my journey so it's definitely not a necessity.
  • fboosman
    fboosman Posts: 13 Member
    Using a Fitbit Charge HR is useful in that its built-in heart rate monitor allows it to sample your HR all day long and get a reasonably accurate total for calories burned. I find that aspect of it quite useful, and honestly, I think I'll be wearing *something* that will do that for me for the rest of my life. I like to know!

Here's the bad news. 1. Fitbit is pretty bad at product design and manufacturing. Every single person I know who uses a Fitbit One or similar (clip-on style) has lost at least one. I lost two before I gave up on them. I then wore a Fitbit Charge (non-HR) and lost two of *them* because of the idiotic band design. Gave up. Finally decided I'd give them one more try and bought a Charge HR. My first one began to fall apart (delaminate) after six months. I'm on a replacement sent to me by Fitbit, but this is the last Fitbit device I'll ever wear. I'm done giving them chances. 2. The Fitbit-MFP integration is, or can be, a s**tshow. Missing calories. Duplicate calories. Periods where it just doesn't work at all. And if I do the calculations manually using Fitbit's own data compared with my resting metabolic rate, the numbers MFP reports never, ever match. I've given up on relying on the numbers in MFP as being accurate and just use them as a rough guide. Each morning, I look up my Fitbit calories burned from the day before, subtract my RMR, and enter that into a spreadsheet I keep.

So, yes, having a fitness tracker—preferably one with an all-day HR monitor—is a great thing. Fitbit + MFP is a pain in the rear. I don't know how much of the software issues are MFP, so I don't know how much this would improve by going to a different brand of tracker.
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    I find the fitbit to be motivating and I've had better success with the combination of the two than either one by itself.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    I tried a friend's for a week and hated it. The constant monitoring of my body through the device, instead of my own sense of my body and effort and feelings got me entirely out of whack. I'd never waste the $$ ;) To each their own!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I have no interest in owning one.

(I may borrow one out of curiosity for a couple of weeks just to find out why people love them so much)

I worked out my TDEE by logging accurately on MFP, then taking 8 weeks of data and extrapolating. It has worked well for the past 2-3 years with the odd tweak.
    So long as one is honest in their food and exercise logging it is the most accurate way.

Cheers, h.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    fboosman wrote: »
    Using a Fitbit Charge HR is useful in that its built-in heart rate monitor allows it to sample your HR all day long and get a reasonably accurate total for calories burned. I find that aspect of it quite useful, and honestly, I think I'll be wearing *something* that will do that for me for the rest of my life. I like to know!

Here's the bad news. 1. Fitbit is pretty bad at product design and manufacturing. Every single person I know who uses a Fitbit One or similar (clip-on style) has lost at least one. I lost two before I gave up on them. I then wore a Fitbit Charge (non-HR) and lost two of *them* because of the idiotic band design. Gave up. Finally decided I'd give them one more try and bought a Charge HR. My first one began to fall apart (delaminate) after six months. I'm on a replacement sent to me by Fitbit, but this is the last Fitbit device I'll ever wear. I'm done giving them chances. 2. The Fitbit-MFP integration is, or can be, a s**tshow. Missing calories. Duplicate calories. Periods where it just doesn't work at all. And if I do the calculations manually using Fitbit's own data compared with my resting metabolic rate, the numbers MFP reports never, ever match. I've given up on relying on the numbers in MFP as being accurate and just use them as a rough guide. Each morning, I look up my Fitbit calories burned from the day before, subtract my RMR, and enter that into a spreadsheet I keep.

So, yes, having a fitness tracker—preferably one with an all-day HR monitor—is a great thing. Fitbit + MFP is a pain in the rear. I don't know how much of the software issues are MFP, so I don't know how much this would improve by going to a different brand of tracker.

I've had two Ones and used them daily for a couple years (the first one went through the wash/dryer twice before it bit the dust, which was not Fitbit's fault but mine) and I've never lost it or had any issues with it at all.

The integration has also worked pretty much flawlessly since day one, not spreadsheet or manual calculations required. Following its recommendations has given me precisely the correct number of maintenance calories for months now, whether I'm sedentary for a week or ramping up my half-marathon training.

Just wanted to offer the counter-perspective, as my Fitbit has been enormously helpful in letting me feel comfortable eating enough to sustain my activity and improve my running.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    I have worn a Fitbit One for just over 2 years. It was a real eye opener for me, having a way to put a value on my activity level. I'm a desk sitter also, and if I did not make the effort I'd take 2000-3000 steps on a GOOD day and either have to eat at 1300-1400 calories forever or be overweight. Instead I got rid of my weight, and maintain by being active and eating a reasonable amount.

There are lots of little perks. Connecting to MFP and other sites/apps. You can earn points good for $ off at Walgreens for your steps. There is a social aspect, and you can participate in challenges if you think that will help motivate you.

My One is well beyond the warranty period. Last month I thought it was not charging, so I checked Amazon - they were on sale for $80 - and I ordered another. I would not want to be without it. Its actually charging fine - I must not have inserted it correctly - but I'm keeping the backup.
    rmduck81 wrote: »
    In my line of work I'm either sitting at a desk 8 hrs plus a day or out on jobs on my feet all day. I work for a moving company and I usually don't have my phone on me during the day, but if I'm walking or something I use that to track my steps.
    I recently worked 7 hrs unpacking and I didn't have my phone on me. I googled the amount of calories burned unpacking and it told me for a 140 lbs person packing or unpacking that they burned 222 cals per hour. I don't know it that is a good estimate to go off of. Just seems kind of high, but who knows.

Thanks

• BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    I like my fit bit, but I got it for one reason: Sleep. I am trying to be better with my sleep habits and the Fitbit Flex let's me track my sleep habits. It depends on why you want it.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member

Funny, I've been using my fitbit flex synced with MFP since the beginning of October and I have had very little issues. There was a period a while back where your food entered in MFP was showing up duplicated on fitbit, but it was easy to delete and they fixed it pretty quickly. Besides, I only use fitbit to track activity, so I don't even pay attention to how many calories it says to eat. Every once in a while the syncing between the two will be a little slow, but I'm not the type to freak over things like that. All in all, they work pretty seamlessly for me.
  • ty_fit0815
    ty_fit0815 Posts: 67 Member
    Got the Fitbit flex waiting for the release of the Fitbit blaze. :# love it.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member

I have had a One since 2013, and I have managed not to ever lose it. I clip it to my bra and it stays put, so it can be done. I may be in the minority, though.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    I think they are worth it if you're going to use the data to learn your body, and push yourself. I know many people who have bought one thinking it was the magic pill and got mad when they changed nothing and saw no results.

I put the pedometer on my phone first, to see if it would make a difference for me. I realize they are notoriously inaccurate, but I figure hey I already own the phone. If this data does nothing for me, I save myself the cost of a tracker! I used it for 6 months, and was always mad because if my phone was on the charger, no steps! It DID motivate me though. I'd set goals before taking my dogs for walks - ok, I'm at 8,000. I am not going home until I hit 13k. Etc.

Now I have a Garmin Vivofit that I pair with a soft strap chest HRM during cardio, and I am very pleased. Garmin sets your step goal for the day a little higher than you did the day before, so you're pushing yourself. I usually keep it on the time because I'll just stare at it otherwise, but around 6pm I switch it to steps remaining to goal so I know how hard I have to push myself to hit it. Because FitBit is the popular one, you'll have a harder time finding friends who have them, but through MFP I've built a nice community since November. It streams pretty nicely with MFP. No charging, the battery is back lit and needs replaced once a year.

Overall, like I said, if you're going to use it for the right reasons, they are worth it. But I recommend starting with a pedometer on your phone or a cheap one to see if it will even make a difference for you.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    I have used a Fitbit for 3 years, have never lost one and have never had any problems with the syncing. I just got a Fitbit Charge HR to replace my 3 year old One and I really like the data I get from it.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    rmduck81 wrote: »

Thanks

I had a Fitbit for years and loved it. But just made the switch to Garmin Vivosmart. One of the perks with this tracker is that it reminds me to MOVE every hour. So on days where you're stuck at a desk for 8 hours it might be good motivation and a reminder to get up and walk for a few minutes. Plus, similar features as Fitbit trackers.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    I don't find that fitbit has been any more effective for weight loss than my previous estimating my exercise using mfp... however, it does motivate me to get more steps and activity generally throughout the day.