Switching up lifting?

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
I've been lifting for six months now, and have been following ice cream fitness for the past three. I like the program, and I've been able to keep bumping up the weights which is good.

I'm trying to recomp, and I feel like what I'm doing now is primarily working on improving my strength. That isn't a bad thing at all, but would there be any more benefit for me if I decrease the weight and increase reps rather than stick with primarily 5x5 of a higher weight?

Just starting to wonder if I should switch it up somehow because simply building strength really isn't my primary goal.

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Muscle size? Muscle endurance?

5x5 is typically used for strength gains, which by your post you already know. If you don't care about strength gains then yeah switch to a program that is made for whatever your goal are.

Adding reps and being around 10 is typically used for muscle size and over 15 reps typically muscle endurancd. Instead of just adding reps to your current program you you probably want to find an actual program designed for your goals.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    Now that I'm more comfortable with what I'm doing, my goal is to build some muscle/drop fat.
    Ok. Any input on a program that's better suited?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Usually easiest to build with a bulk and drop fat with a cut. Recomps seem real difficult to do personally but can be done, just way more patience and your cals/macros must be on point which isn't easy.

If you want to build muscle typically a rep range of 8-12 is best though you will build with any program if you have a progressive overload, hit your macros for your goal.

Strength goals are subject to your goals as well.. It depends on what rep range you want to gain strength at. You can gain strength at a 1rm, a 5rm, 10rm, 20rm, or even 50rm.

Ton of programs for ypu to find when ypu decide on your goals in more detail. Once ypu run a program, you might want bastardize it if you have good experiencein lifting, or change to something new.

I've bastardized my own version of Wendler's that I've used for about three years now that works for me very well with the health issues and being more than middle aged.

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Building muscle and dropping fat and kind of conflicting goals because you need a deficit for fat loss and surplus for muscle gain. And I would start looking at bodybuilding.com they have so many workouts and they have a nice search tool where you put in your goals and it suggests some workouts.

For me my increases in strength has come with increase in muscle size.

You may want to consider a cut if your goal is fat loss. With the fat loss your muscles will show better and then from there you could decide what kind of weight lifting program to do, whether that be one more for size, strength, or endurance.

If you decide to do a cut make sure you still lift hard 3 days a week to retain muscle.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There is a long running and very good thread on recomping right here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

You might want to check it out.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    ^^
    I've read that thread, thanks. I'll ask this specifically there though. I really don't want to do a bulk now because I still have a significant amount of fat to deal with. I can't see adding more. I'm down to 125lbs now and don't want to go lower than that however.... Figure I'll see how far I can get with a recomp and reevaluate later.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible to run a successful recomp... it just takes patience. If you are interested in adding muscle mass as well as strength, you might consider a program like PHUL, but I find that ICF, Stronglifts, etc will add some mass to a beginner.

Personally, I found it helpful to focus on strength gains for a while before I began any dedicated hypertrophy work. Hypertrophy work seems to be more effective for me when I'm able to work a heavier weight in the hypertrophy range... but that's just my experience and won't correspond to others necessarily.

My personal advice, if you aren't ready for a cut, would be to eat slightly lower than maintenance while keeping up the progressive overload lifting... be prepared for about a year long journey, though as a recomp will take it slow.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    It's entirely possible to run a successful recomp... it just takes patience. If you are interested in adding muscle mass as well as strength, you might consider a program like PHUL, but I find that ICF, Stronglifts, etc will add some mass to a beginner.

Personally, I found it helpful to focus on strength gains for a while before I began any dedicated hypertrophy work. Hypertrophy work seems to be more effective for me when I'm able to work a heavier weight in the hypertrophy range... but that's just my experience and won't correspond to others necessarily.

My personal advice, if you aren't ready for a cut, would be to eat slightly lower than maintenance while keeping up the progressive overload lifting... be prepared for about a year long journey, though as a recomp will take it slow.

Oh...I know I'm in this for a good year anyway.... It's all good because I have made progress, and I'm having fun with it. Was just wondering if maybe I'm missing something I could/should be doing differently...

You echoed my thoughts about the hypertrophy/higher weight too. That's why I was wondering if I should just continue what I'm doing. I did have some noob gain, but sooner or later I'm assuming I'm going to max out on how much I can keep increasing weight and end up stuck.

Anyway, I'll watch my diet and carry on as is for now. I'll start researching some different programs and see what happens. Thank you. :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I still like to keep my heavy compound lifts for strength even with hypertrophy goals. Think about it...the stronger you are, the MORE/heavier you can lift in the hypertrophy range. Get the best of both worlds.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I still like to keep my heavy compound lifts for strength even with hypertrophy goals. Think about it...the stronger you are, the MORE/heavier you can lift in the hypertrophy range. Get the best of both worlds.

Yup....I hear ya! :wink:
    I know you're doing a mix of both.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

If you're doing ICF so are you!

Strong Curves might be nice if you're tired of power lifting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I personally don't believe in living in singular rep and set scheme. My coach currently has me working an undulating periodization scheme that has me doing a 5x5 day, a 3x20 speed work day, and a 3x10 day working all of the same muscles and groups of muscles with different movements depending on the day (not consecutive days). It's been pretty phenomenal if not brutal...he is having me deload after every third week and we will run probably 3-4 cycles of this depending on how I'm doing.

My feelings are that as a matter of general fitness, working in a variety of rep and set ranges is where it's at...I see no reason to "specialize" unless you need to specialize. I'd also preface this by saying that my primary sport is cycling, so much of what my coach has me doing is ultimately to improve as a cyclist and to improve athletic ability overall rather than being able to squat or bench the most weight, etc.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    ....if you aren't ready for a cut, would be to eat slightly lower than maintenance while keeping up the progressive overload lifting... be prepared for about a year long journey, though as a recomp will take it slow.

IMO this is dead on. I went the recomp route about a year ago while running All Pro. Ate at maintenance, weight stayed the same and strength increased. Loss some body fat, but body fat was sloooowly dripping away. About 3 months ago I started to eat slightly below maintenance (-150) and am finally beginning to have a more visible impact on body fat. Keep running your current program until you've maxed out your gains.

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm eating at a deficit & doing PHUL, hitting protein macro and I'm dropping fat. I've revealed muscle since I've lost the fat. I did SL for a year at around maintenance and didn't really get anywhere. I like PHUL but it takes longer.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

If you're doing ICF so are you!

Strong Curves might be nice if you're tired of power lifting.

I agree - I was going to suggest Strong Curves.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Nia Shanks has a good muscle sculpting program that still incorporates heavy lifting
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for six months now, and have been following ice cream fitness for the past three. I like the program, and I've been able to keep bumping up the weights which is good.

I'm trying to recomp, and I feel like what I'm doing now is primarily working on improving my strength. That isn't a bad thing at all, but would there be any more benefit for me if I decrease the weight and increase reps rather than stick with primarily 5x5 of a higher weight?

Just starting to wonder if I should switch it up somehow because simply building strength really isn't my primary goal.

If this is working for you then stick with it until it's no longer working. Fat loss is largely a factor of nutrition, so as long as that is squared-away you'll be fine. I'm not sure what "muscle sculpting" is, sounds like a buzz word for losing body-fat for more visual muscle definition. Which is basically just keep strength training and eating in a manner that supports healthy fat-loss.