So... Macros? Sorry, I'm new to this.

Options
Protein? Fats? Carbs? How do I know whats what and how do I know how much I need to hit my percentages?

I've been a part of MFP for ahwile now and all I've really done is count my calories and barely pay attention to my macros. I want to dedicate my time to learning how to have a better, more nutritious and balanced diet.

Replies

• jjelly_swag
    jjelly_swag Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Macros are important! What's your goal, weight loss, maintenance or building right now? That changes it a little. Add me as a friend if you want! Once we figure out your goal, I can tell you how I found mine. :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    20/20/60 is good. :)
  • egoodman630
    egoodman630 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Macros are important! What's your goal, weight loss, maintenance or building right now? That changes it a little. Add me as a friend if you want! Once we figure out your goal, I can tell you how I found mine. :)

sorry just seeing this, my goal is to lose 20lbs but I'm more focused on losing inches versus watching the scale i just haven't gotten the chance to check my measurements. I see that MFP calculates my macros for me I'm just not sure of how to know how much I'm eating to make sure I have a balanced diet.
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I did a ton of research before I started deciding what my macros should be (5' 10 female 155 lbs 28% body fat) I'm mainly trying to cut body fat and gain muscle so I had mone set to 50% protein 30% carbs and 20% fats but it was getting a little hard to reach so I set it to 40% protein and carbs.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I'm almost 41, 5'9", currently 179 lbs and want to lose about 14 more and then evaluate. I do the Stronglifts 5X5 program and a little cardio. So far, it's working out pretty well!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    iifym.com Great place to start for finding your macros.