Baking a cake

Options
I have a cake I want to bake that calls for vegetable oil. I once heard you can replace that with applesauce. Is that true and does it make it healthier? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    i've heard the same thing. i've also heard you can use a can of diet soda in place of the oil and the eggs :)
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    Yes, it's true, in most cases. I don't know that it really makes it healthier but it can cut down on the calories.
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    i've replaced portions of the vegetable oil with applesauce before in recipes and it does reduce the fat content and keep baked goods really moist, altho I would hesitate to replace it all. never heard of the diet soda before :) interesting! check the cooking light website for baking alternatives. I've also subbed yogurt or sour cream in a recent banana bread recipe for vegetable oil (off the cooking light website too) that was excellent!
  • holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    I replaced all the oil with applesauce when i made a cake. It tasted exactly the same and cut down on a lot of calories. My family couldn't even tell the difference!
  • beauplr
    beauplr Posts: 11
    Options
    Here's an article from Suite101 that I have used to help with substitutions. Keep in mind that the final product will not be exactly the same, but still tasty.

http://www.suite101.com/content/lowfat-and-fatfree-baking-substitutes-a95153

But as a rule, I usually use unsweetened applesauce equal to the amount of oil when making a recipe from scratch. I'm not sure what you would do if using a mix.