Will increasing calories help with weight loss?

Options
Hello, I started MFP again last week with a target of 1200 calories a day (I'm 5'4" and weighed 9 st 4 lbs). I had set my activity level at moderate but having used a Fitbit for the past week I have changed my activity level to active as I generally achieve 17000 steps a day. I also do 1x zumba, 1 x pump class and 1 x Pilates as well as a fitness DVD 2 or 3 times a week.
My new calorie target after changing the activity level is 1500. Last week I lost 3 lb on 1200.
Will I still lose weight eating more calories?
Sorry for the long winded message :-) xx

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Probably...albeit at a slower pace vs. 1200.

Being that active, 1500 is clearly more appropriate than 1200.
  • pampeel81
    pampeel81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it being at a slower rate just as long as I don't start gaining :-)
    Thank you
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 5'1, sedentary (even with an hour of gym time and a run at night) and eat 1500 and lose consistently.
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Since I upped to 1500 from 1200, I've been losing more steadily, now on average 1kg a week. I do crossfire 5x a week however, ajust calories based on you activity level. Hope that helps!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    More unburned calories = slower weight loss, maintenance, or weight gain. 1200 is enough calories for your height.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    More unburned calories = slower weight loss, maintenance, or weight gain. 1200 is enough calories for your height.

1500 calories is not going to result in unburned calories at OP's activity level.
  • pampeel81
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your reassuring responses.
    What are unburned calories please?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    pampeel81 wrote: »
    Hello, I started MFP again last week with a target of 1200 calories a day (I'm 5'4" and weighed 9 st 4 lbs). I had set my activity level at moderate but having used a Fitbit for the past week I have changed my activity level to active as I generally achieve 17000 steps a day. I also do 1x zumba, 1 x pump class and 1 x Pilates as well as a fitness DVD 2 or 3 times a week.
    My new calorie target after changing the activity level is 1500. Last week I lost 3 lb on 1200.

9 st 4 lbs? 130 lbs? Just want to point out you are already well into the healthy weight range for your height. If you lost 3 lbs last week, do not be surprised if you don't lose weight for the next 4 weeks at least. 3 lbs in a week is a LOT for someone well into the healthy range. I don't know how much you're trying to lose, but maybe you should consider doing some heavy weight lifting (Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women) both to retain muscle mass but also when you go back to maintenance to being a slow recomposition. You might be surprised at how much better you look at the same weight after consistently lifting heavy for a while. If I have misconverted units than I apologize.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your reassuring responses.
    What are unburned calories please?

A calorie surplus - in other words, eating too much causing your body to put on fat/weight.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I feel better eating more, and you can certainly eat 1500 with the amount of activity you do.

I eat 1700-1800 per day and still lose about a pound a week.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    For me, mentally, increasing calories helped me in weight loss. I have doctor diagnosed BED and when I was on 1500 calories a day I would always end up in a 3000 calorie binge on the weekends. Now, I average 2000 calories a day and I don't binge on the weekend because I'm more satisfied.
  • pampeel81
    Options

9 st 4 lbs? 130 lbs? Just want to point out you are already well into the healthy weight range for your height. If you lost 3 lbs last week, do not be surprised if you don't lose weight for the next 4 weeks at least. 3 lbs in a week is a LOT for someone well into the healthy range. I don't know how much you're trying to lose, but maybe you should consider doing some heavy weight lifting (Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women) both to retain muscle mass but also when you go back to maintenance to being a slow recomposition. You might be surprised at how much better you look at the same weight after consistently lifting heavy for a while. If I have misconverted units than I apologize.

I only want to lose another 5lbs at the most. I'll certainly take your suggestion regarding weights on board as I do want to tone up. Thank you.
    Thank you for all your replies :-)
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    1500 calories is not going to result in unburned calories at OP's activity level.

I agree. OP's BMR is 1,300 calories/day, without accounting for any calories "earned" by exercising, right?

BMR Calculator

If OP does 200 cals. of workout per day (20 mins. of Zumba or 55 mins. of walking at a moderate pace), I'd think she'd lose weight on 1,500 cals./day pretty easily. I let MFP do the math for me, and it works. :smiley: