Fitbit question

Options
I am not a techie type person. I'm wondering, for those of you that have lost 50+ pounds, did you find the fitbit helpful or more of a pain in the butt to use? I have no idea how they work, other then they use RF (which doesn't thrill me but I can put that aside for short term use). I have a dumb smart phone. Would I have to have a special phone? I'm mostly trying to decide if it's worth the investment in terms of having that motivating factor of steps taken, etc. or if it's not worth it. Can you share your thoughts?

Replies

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 45 lbs. using a fitbit and found it a great motivator to keep moving, especially when joining challenges.
    You can just use a laptop if you don't have a smart phone. It's really easy to use, you don't have to be tech savvy.
    BTW, I'm a 59 year old female.
    I love my fitbit!!
    ( I don't know what RF stands for)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not sure what RF is.

You don't need a smart phone - though you would then need to install (easy) software on your computer and plug a dongle in. Similar to the dongle for a wireless mouse. Then the Fitbit can transfer data to Fitbit.com (Fitbit's servers) thru the dongle/computer software.

Lost ~50 and Fitbit was an important tool to put a numeric value on my activity level.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is awesome, but not lately, as my stupid-*kitten* negative calorie adjustment feature has not been working right lately. I feel like I'm flying blind.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Fitbit is awesome, but not lately, as my stupid-*kitten* negative calorie adjustment feature has not been working right lately. I feel like I'm flying blind.

MFP & Fitbit have not been communicating well the last few days. Suggestion: go to Fitbit.com, to logging, and make sure Fitbit has your at sedentary. Then look to your phone app (or dashboard at Fitbit.com from a computer) to see what calories you have left. Under this setting Fitbit considers what you've burned so far today and then adds only BMR for the rest of the day. So if you went to bed NOW it would be accurate. If you move more, you'll earn more. Move enough so you're content with 'calories left'.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not tech savvy either! Fitbits are simple to use, sync it with MFP and let it do the thinking and math for you.

The only time I take my fitbit off is in the shower and bed. It's almost a part of my anatomy lol It has helped and motivated me greatly.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input! RF is radio frequency. Anyways, it sounds like it could be a good motivator/helper for me.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    After the weekend fiasco, my Fitbit and MFP have been syncing just fine. Another piece of advice was given in a Fitbit thread that people here may want to try to see if it helps them.

If you use the mobile app, choose the Steps tab and check the box to enable Fitbit to track steps.

If you use the website, go to Apps-> Steps and choose Fitbit from the list.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 80 but just recently got a fitbit.

for me, its random data. i have my own weight loss and exercise down to what works for me and im not going to change it now! ;)
  • Traveling_Kimw
    Traveling_Kimw Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    After the weekend fiasco, my Fitbit and MFP have been syncing just fine. Another piece of advice was given in a Fitbit thread that people here may want to try to see if it helps them.

If you use the mobile app, choose the Steps tab and check the box to enable Fitbit to track steps.

I can't seem to find where you are talking about on the mobile app. Could you please clarify? I'm new to Fitbit and looking for tips.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I love my Fitbit, but I didn't buy one until I had already lost a ton of weight - it was a reward. It really kicked my butt in gear as far as exercise, and I find it very motivating. The concept of steps and seeing how small chunks of exercise add up is really eye-opening.

So is it an awesome tool? Sure, but it's not necessary. Try a cheap pedometer for awhile and see how you feel about that before making the investment.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    kkibbles wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »

I can't seem to find where you are talking about on the mobile app. Could you please clarify? I'm new to Fitbit and looking for tips.

Do you use an Android or an iPhone?

This is on the MFP mobile app, btw. Not the Fitbit app.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Do you need a phone to use a fitbit?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    Do you need a phone to use a fitbit?

No, you can plug the little dongle thingy into a computer.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit, but I didn't buy one until I had already lost a ton of weight - it was a reward. It really kicked my butt in gear as far as exercise, and I find it very motivating. The concept of steps and seeing how small chunks of exercise add up is really eye-opening.

So is it an awesome tool? Sure, but it's not necessary. Try a cheap pedometer for awhile and see how you feel about that before making the investment.

This is my thought too. I lost my weight with nothing more than this app and some exercise. I did just buy a Fitbit because I was curious since everyone seems to have one now. I really do love it...much more than I thought I would. BUT....it isn't something that is necessary to lose weight if you know what I mean. I think it can be a great motivator, so if that's what youre looking for....go for it. There's a bit of a learning curve that goes along with using it, but it isn't hard.

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    110lbs down fitbit is one of the best tools in my tool box.