Costco

Options

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Franc,
    Keep the boxes of things like appliances and vacs. They have an amazing return policy if something breaks. I think it was 6 months later. Ask other users. No receipt, but you need the box.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    To be honest, not a lot. We find that with so many different grocery stores around us in close proximity, we can get prices just as cheap and not have to buy the ridiculous quantities...but you may have to go to different stores in the same week...I like to go grocery shopping so I am at a store 4 or more times a week.

As for fruits and veggies...Costco has such a limited supply of interesting veggies...but it depends on what you are looking for...
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Almost everything at Costco is a deal, the catch is you have to buy a lot, which I'm fine with. Surprisingly the boneless skinless chicken breast is actually not that great of a deal from Costco, at least for me, but only because the grocery stores around me have sales regularly where I can get chicken for $1.70 a lb as opposed to Costco where the chicken is $3 a lb. Main staples I get from Costco are cheese, pasta, vitamins, beef/steak. You won't find better deals than Costco for steak. All their cuts are USDA Choice or Prime, and a very good deal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I used to have a Costco membership but switched to Sam's club when there was a groupon making the membership practically free.

I'm a couponer so I tend to get stuff that I can't get cheap with coupons. Stuff like:
    Spices
    Parmesan and romano cheeses
    Romaine hearts
    Whole Turkey around the holidays
    Flour (for bread baking)
    Yeast
    Giant bags of chicken nuggets
    Rotisserie chicken
    Sam's club brand dishwasher tabs
    Toilet bowl cleaner
    Nuetrogena face wipes
    Contact lens solution
    Sam's club brand baby wipes

Every month they send out "coupons" for specific items - if they are a good deal for something we eat/use I will get it. Like last month gogurts were on sale so I got 2 boxes. We just bought a big screen tv too - lol

How much is the flour? Hard to beat king arthur flour at $3.50 for 5 pounds at Target.
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    To be honest, not a lot. We find that with so many different grocery stores around us in close proximity, we can get prices just as cheap and not have to buy the ridiculous quantities...but you may have to go to different stores in the same week...I like to go grocery shopping so I am at a store 4 or more times a week.

As for fruits and veggies...Costco has such a limited supply of interesting veggies...but it depends on what you are looking for...

It's what I worry about, I always go to 2 stores for sales.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I don't like the costco brand, but I still buy a ton there. For me it's the convenience of buying in bulk and not 'a deal' I do know some meats and foods are cheaper at safeway and it was different when I was in Cali than in Oregon so you might have to price compare a bit if that's your main reason
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    costco isnt a good place for me... OMG 300 bags of chips and i will eat all of them... A 30000 pack of gushers!!! i do get meat there sometimes
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't have a membership, but my grandmother does, and her birthday present to me is usually to let me tag along on a shopping trip and pick out what I want. My favorites:

- Their coffee (Kirkland brand roasted by Starbucks -- the one in the green bag)
    - The mega-super packs of Kind bars
    - The double boxes of Cascadian Farms cereal and granola
    - The HUGE bags of quinoa
    - Bagged frozen fruit/veggies
    - Highlighters and ballpoint pens. Seriously. You may not think about them at first, but one of their packs will last you for years!
    - Their organic veggies. I like to get the huge bags of carrots, celery, and onions and cut them up into bags when I get home and freeze them. Then, whenever I want to make soup, I just pull a bag of diced veggies out of the fridge.
    - The toilet paper, plastic bags, paper towels, and foil are all great quality at a great price!
    - Organic nut butters
    - Huge bags of nuts

Also...that $1.50 hotdog + drink with free refills is a really good price if you're hungry! Not to mention the samples!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I used to have a Costco membership but switched to Sam's club when there was a groupon making the membership practically free.

I'm a couponer so I tend to get stuff that I can't get cheap with coupons. Stuff like:
    Spices
    Parmesan and romano cheeses
    Romaine hearts
    Whole Turkey around the holidays
    Flour (for bread baking)
    Yeast
    Giant bags of chicken nuggets
    Rotisserie chicken
    Sam's club brand dishwasher tabs
    Toilet bowl cleaner
    Nuetrogena face wipes
    Contact lens solution
    Sam's club brand baby wipes

Every month they send out "coupons" for specific items - if they are a good deal for something we eat/use I will get it. Like last month gogurts were on sale so I got 2 boxes. We just bought a big screen tv too - lol

How much is the flour? Hard to beat king arthur flour at $3.50 for 5 pounds at Target.
    mjwarbeck wrote: »

It's what I worry about, I always go to 2 stores for sales.

I think it's $7 or $8 for a 25lb bag. It's crazy cheap. I go through it fast too. I make about 2 loaves of bread a week and pancakes on the weekends.

I forgot, I also buy rice - 25lbs at a time.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Trash bags
    Kirkland brand dog food (grain free, yam and some kind of meat, they have multiple choices)
    before the cat died, cat food and cat litter *sigh*
    Clorox wipes
    flushable wipes
    Kirkland brand toilet tissue
    Kleenex
    sandwich meats
    chicken patties
    kirkland all beef hotdogs
    protein bars, I like the zone ones
    stretch island all natural fruit leather
    yogurt
    cottage cheese
    cheese (shredded cheddar jack, shredded mozzarella and block medium cheddar)
    eggs (5 dozen at a time)
    quinoa
    various clothes depending on the item
    spices
    pasta
    various frozen items
    WOOL SOCKS!!!!!!!!
    ice
    sometimes cereal but it has to be on sale.

Like someone mentioned you have to be careful on produce and stuff that'll go bad. It's a little easier for my family, seven, two adults, two teens and three tweens that eat a LOT. If you have a friend that'll share produce, then it's the way to go. I have someone in town and we frequently split packs of Romain lettuce and other produce we won't go through quick enough.

• brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yes to the Kirkland coffee in the green bag!!! Best coffee!!

I also buy my contact lenses there. Super cheap.

We do car rentals through Costco.

Also love their frozen salmon burgers and turkey burgers and frozen cherries.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Coffee, eggs, yogurt. Here in CA, they have organic hardboiled eggs. They're actually cheaper than raw organic eggs. I feel guilty about the extra packaging but they're nice to have around.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The foods I save the most on compared to what I get at a regular grocery store:
    Enormous bags of frozen broccoli, green beans, Normandy mix, berries
    Fresh blueberries
    Lamb
    Tubs of baby spinach or mixed greens
    Enormous bag of baby carrots
    Babybels
    Irish cheese
    Coconut oil
    Aidells chicken sausages

Non-food:
    Cell phones they throw in an extra accessory pack
    Discounted tickets for movies, restaurants, local attractions
    Great big rolls of nice wrapping paper
    Copy paper
    Random clothing items (nice athletic socks, lightweight jacket, kid stuff)

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I get avocado, olive & coconut oils; lots of cheeses; some veg; organic meats & eggs; clover organic milk; pastured butter; bulk protein bars & organic school lunch snacks; wine; household items; grain free cat food; and virtually all of my workout clothes at Costco!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    stretch island all natural fruit leather

I had to look this up - I was imagining some kind of weird fruit-scented upholstery or clothing... :wink:
  • mcesira
    mcesira Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have 4 children so I could be there every week practically! However, like many have suggested... I say in terms of prices... frozen fruit, fresh spinach, nuts, eggs and all the non food items such as paper products like kleenex, tp and paper towels are worth it.
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Costco is a little bit out of the way for us but my husband loves shopping there.

Things we have bought include:

Ezekiel bread ($1 a loaf cheaper there than at the other place we shop - this alone covers our membership costs)
    Eggs
    Fruit
    Chicken breasts
    Finish dishwasher detergent
    Milk
    Organic salad greens
    Kirkland organic maple syrup
    Hemp seeds
    Clothing
    Headphones
    Eyeglasses
    Blurays
    Jam
    Yogurt
    Butter
    Dental floss
    Mouthwash
    Vitamins
    Pre-made cake
    Computer monitor
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    AVOCADOS!
    Peet's whole bean coffee
    TP/Paper towels/Napkins
    Meats
    Breads
    Cheeses
    Apples
    Pet food
    Butter
    Rotisserie chicken - theirs is the best in my opinion, and you get a nice big, tasty bird with lots of meat on it for five bucks. I can feed my family 3-4 meals on one bird.
    And their premixed Golden Margarita is great - I love taking a bottle on camping trips, or just keeping one in the fridge - nice and easy on a Friday night! :smirk:
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    Options
    Just FYI for anyone who DOESN'T have a Costco membership, LivingSocial (like Groupon) is offering a Costco basic membership for $55 but you get a $20 Coscto gift card AND coupons for a bunch of free stuff.
    (Combine with/go through Ebates for even more savings: 3% cash back!)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just FYI for anyone who DOESN'T have a Costco membership, LivingSocial (like Groupon) is offering a Costco basic membership for $55 but you get a $20 Coscto gift card AND coupons for a bunch of free stuff.
    (Combine with/go through Ebates for even more savings: 3% cash back!)

I'm sure we'll get decent deals for the opening so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll have to check it out when it opens (and might possibly end up buying that freezer I've been wanting in ages anyway, lol).