New here, need some advice

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but have found it very useful so far. I'm a 36yo guy quite overweight - 170cm tall, 130kg. Even so I am quite active doing non-impact incline treadmill walking 3x week and some weights. In recent weeks I've joined myfitnesspal, started doing 45mins cardio + stretching about 5x week, some Bodypump classes and sticking to about 2000 calories a day.

How does this sound to people? I could do with some advice. I'm trying to lose as much as possible in the next 6 months for a relative's wedding I need to attend overseas.

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
DJH

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! This is a great place to get advise, inspiration, encouragement and accountability.
  • eboone0
    eboone0 Posts: 1
    Options
    DJ: I've just starting useing this site too. Just tracking what you eat and exercise is a motivator ... makes you think about how you spend your day. I noticed in your post that you say you want to lose as much weight as you can in 6 months. I've been listening to a podcast called Fat2FitRadio (iTunes) and they have a website Fat2FitRadio.com They are wonderful to listen to, but more importantly, I believe they are correct in their weight management technique: slow and steady wins the race. Quick weight loss results in quick weight gain. It sounds like you are on the right track ... although maybe a little low on the calories (energy) in. You don't want to eat too little that you lose muscle, because it is the muscle that will keep the weight loss going. Evan
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I try not to go much lower than the calories MFP tells me to eat. I figure a very gradual reduction in calories will be easier to stick to over the long haul. This is working well for me because it doesn't feel like a diet. I still eat the foods I want, but being accountable for the calories makes a huge difference.
  • kimphillips36
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I have a lot of great tips and help on my blog (listed below in my signature block)....I've lost 66 lbs over the last 14 months. Please feel free to add me as a friend...I'm here to support and encourage you in your weight loss journey!
  • DJHolloway
    DJHolloway Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for your encouragement and advice. It makes a huge difference...watch this space!

Cheers,
    Dan
  • Jillyrabbit
    Options
    Welcome...just follow the yellow brick road...wait I mean just let the site help guide you along your path and you'll be fine! There's a lot of good people here to help too if you need motivation! :flowerforyou:
  • Krazybob613
    Options
    :smile:

I have been following MFP for almost 3 months and have shed 18 pounds ( 9Kg), one thing I found is that you can fine tune your calorie goals in the tools menu, the default loss target is 1 pound per week recommended but you can increase it manually to 1.5 or even 2 pounds per week target, and MFP will adjust your calorie goal accordingly. Also you should recalculate your calorie goal and reward yourself with a special food treat - even if it puts you over for the day - every time you achieve a 5 Kg loss and hold it for 3 consecutive days, this is a real morale booster!
    Rather than ridiculously cut back on food, my choice is to put in extra workouts if I find myself over calorie goal - I feel better and still maintain my rate of loss.