Ballet Beautiful vs. 30 Day Butt Lift vs. Heavy Lifting

Options
I'm just looking for some feedback on success people have had with different fitness programs.

I've been successfully dieting and losing weight and have been using the Ballet Beautiful Online Custom Workout Program.

I picked the program because it combined dance (which I really enjoy doing) with body resistance exercises and light weights. I wanted to have a program that incorporated both cardio and strength. Another benefit of the program is it can be done at home and the website selects the workouts for you based on your goal. My current goal is fat burn.

I have done some of the program's exercises before but this is the first time I've really committed to the program. I'm currently using the program five days a week for an hour each session. On the sixth day I change it up with a more fast paced dance workout.

I've only been doing the program for about 2 1/2 weeks and don't really expect to see results at this point since I still need to lose about 30 lbs. However, I'm having second thoughts about the program as I not experiencing any soreness (DOMS) the day after the workout even though the workouts have been quite challenging for me. There is a fair bit of stretching so I'm not sure if the stretching is affecting the level of soreness.

Has anyone been able to acheive their goal body with this program?

I have been thinking maybe I need to add in more weight training. I have used Be Fit's 30 Day Butt Lift program (viewable on youtube) in the past and really enjoyed the workouts. However, I'm also looking for a program that will target my arms, chest and core.

I'm not opposed to the idea of lifting heavy and am not worried about getting "bulky." It seems a lot of women are quite successful in obtaining their goal figure using this method.

As part of a work benefit I do have access to a nearby gym but because I do shift work I really would like to find a program I can use at home.

I'm usually pretty hesitant about exercises that use high rep low weights to avoid bulkiness but a Registered Dietitian I have worked with and respect recommended a program that utilizes this approach (The Tracy Anderson Method) and has said this is what has helped her achieve and maintain her current figure.

I guess you could say I'm feeling a bit confused as what type of workout program I should be using to achieve a strong and feminine body.

If you made it this far though my rambling, it would be great to hear from women who have been successful in finding a workout program that they enjoy and have seen results with.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    A RD recommended Tracy Anderson?
  • mcesira
    mcesira Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi there Kate, your program sounds very awesome and it is most important that you love it and have such a great interest in it because it combines dance! I say if you are getting results and enjoy it, then keep at it! I have enjoyed tabata workouts and Jillian Michaels DVDs are great, too... since it is hard you said to get to the gym and you enjoy the home workouts, thought I'd suggest those for you. I agree, sometimes when I do too much lifting I gain a lot of muscle quickly. So I tend to have to go to the gym but try to take classes like yoga or the high cardio classes like tabata and GRIT. Wishing you the best. I say continue doing what you love and try to mix it up once in a while. You're doing awesome!
  • katefitness8
    katefitness8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    mcesira wrote: »
    Hi there Kate, your program sounds very awesome and it is most important that you love it and have such a great interest in it because it combines dance! I say if you are getting results and enjoy it, then keep at it! I have enjoyed tabata workouts and Jillian Michaels DVDs are great, too... since it is hard you said to get to the gym and you enjoy the home workouts, thought I'd suggest those for you. I agree, sometimes when I do too much lifting I gain a lot of muscle quickly. So I tend to have to go to the gym but try to take classes like yoga or the high cardio classes like tabata and GRIT. Wishing you the best. I say continue doing what you love and try to mix it up once in a while. You're doing awesome!

Thanks for the supportive comments and suggestions :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll just comment that the reason you probably don't experience DOMS anymore is because it's no longer challenging to your current level of muscles - but it is to your current cardiovascular system, hence still feeling difficult.

If the program is based on doing things to a beat and body weight, usually you'll reach a point where not only are you more efficient at doing the movements and therefore burning less calories, you'll also reach a point where you can only move so fast so it's not possible to increase the intensity.

So then it becomes a maintenance level program - no more improvements - which could be fine.
    But if you keep doing it while dropping 30 lbs - then it's actually becoming easier with less weight and you actually lose improvement.

It sounds like you've perhaps reached the point where this could be a good recovery day workout to follow/proceed a lifting workout day.
    You don't want that recovery day too intense or it messes up getting a really good lifting workout in or recovering from one, and then that lifting workout won't have the benefit it should either.

So use the gym for 3 x weekly, enjoy the rest at home.