Macros..

Options
Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone else out there that counts their mascots on here is having the same issue as me!

I am finding that my calories is not equaling what it's suppose to for the macros!

Example:
Goal calories - calorie total = calories remaining:
1665 - 1595 = 70
Goal carbs - total carbs = remaining carbs
160 - 152 = 8 (8x4=24 cals)
Goal fat - total fat = remaining fat
45 - 19 = 26 (26x9=234 cals)
Goal protein - total protein = remaining protein
155 - 140 = 15 (15x4= 60 cals)

That's 318 cals that is suppose to be remaining not 70.. Am I getting something wrong?

Please help I wanna make sure I'm staying on track and I know macros is fairly new for MFP.. Thanks!

Replies

• tappleby_14
    tappleby_14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think you may be over thinking it a little. Which isn't a bad thing! But you have to make the macros you eat fit into your calories and your thinking the other way around. So those macros were your goals and it looks like your getting close! For example food A may have 70 cals and be high carb and low fat while food B may have 70 calories and be high protein and no carbs. To eat your last 70 calories it wont have all those exact macro goal amounts you need to reach all of them. I hope this made sense I am no good at explaining things like this!
  • slippsy_gypsy
    slippsy_gypsy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sorry tappleby_14 but I don't agree cause it's suppose to equal. This is why..

Goals:
    Carbs 160x4 = 640 cal
    Fat 45x9= 405 cal
    Protein 155x4 = 620 cal

Total calories = 1665

Wither its goals or remaining it should all work out the same since every carb has 4 cals and port 4 cals and fat 9 cals.. Know what I saying?

So it is suppose to equal if I hit them on point.. Which is what I follow not calories. I was just wondering why on days that I do hit my macros on point the cals don't add up.. My only guess is that the amounts for each food is not always correct in the data base for each macro..

I think I have OCD over this!! Lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Focus on the calories. The macros are going to vary from day to day.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Maybe look more at the pie chart and the %s rather than all the numbers

Could change from the exercise burn too
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This may surprise you, but the calories and macros on food labels aren't exact, they are estimates. If you look at your individual food labels and calculate exactly as you just did, you will find that they don't add up either. But they are pretty close, so just go with it
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First, I think your protein goal is a bit high and fat goal a bit low, but that's not what you asked about.

Some of the discrepancies can be because of rounding. Some can be because protein, fat and carb isn't always exactly 4 or 9 calorie per grams, check with labels. Some can be because of erroneous entries, and you'd have to check if some single items don't add up. 318 calories is quite a bit, so I think you may want to look into it.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Sorry tappleby_14 but I don't agree cause it's suppose to equal. This is why..

Goals:
    Carbs 160x4 = 640 cal
    Fat 45x9= 405 cal
    Protein 155x4 = 620 cal

Total calories = 1665

Wither its goals or remaining it should all work out the same since every carb has 4 cals and port 4 cals and fat 9 cals.. Know what I saying?

So it is suppose to equal if I hit them on point.. Which is what I follow not calories. I was just wondering why on days that I do hit my macros on point the cals don't add up.. My only guess is that the amounts for each food is not always correct in the data base for each macro..

I think I have OCD over this!! Lol
    So, they don't add to due to rounding in the entries. Just go week to week and average it out and keep logging. You can't be exact on every entry. Allow an estimate to guide you not drive you crazy. Be OCD about your sock drawer which is something you can drive yourself coo coo over.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Carbs too high unless you're wanting to store more fat. Keep below 100 grams day. Set macros to 20/20/60.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    What the deuce are mascots btw?

I try to hit macros, but I don't fret if i don't, so long as I'm closeish and come in under cals. I'm picker about sodium because it affects me pretty negativity.

Worry about the calories in the short term, and tweak your dietary habits in the long term to make macros.

Unless you are lifting or trying for keto, you don't need that much protein.